Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port site infection

Hi Guys,

You just don't know how grateful I am that you, Sades, Summer87, and all, have shared your experiences with infections and I am learning and taking strenth from.

I feel very alone, even though I have a supportive husband, I don't want to worry him any more than he is trying to hide that he is. (Does that make sense?)

My band was put in on January 30, '08. All of my other incisions are healing well, except for the port site. The incision is dry, but it's still red, swollen and sore at least an inch or so, all around th 5 inch incision. I just took my temp. and burst into tears. It's slightly elevated.

I see the doctor tomorrow morning at 9:00. Last Friday he put me on Augmentin 500 after a couple other antibiotics didn't work. Then he drew a line around the redness and said to keep an eye on it. Some of the red has gone a bit beyond the his pen mark, so this Augmentin isn't working either.

To know that you guys have been where I am, and have experienced a healing, gives me hope and helps me not to be too sad...and feeling sorry for myself.

I hope things are still going well for all of you. And, Summer, we are rooting for you and a successful port installation. (so to speak)

Thank you for your reply Sades. All the best to you!

Jane

From Erie, Pennsylvania, USA

Hi Jane, sorry to hear you feel alone. It's scarey when going through something like this, especially when you read all the horror stories. I hope your next round of antibiotics does it for you. What did the doctor say? This is how mine looked at its worst.

post-224630-1381313651706_thumb.jpg

I just came home from the dr office. I also have a port infection. The dr gave me levoquin. I also am scared. We work so hard to get here. I want this to go ok and reach my goal of getting healthy.

I hope it clears up for you. I think mine cleared up quickly because as soon as I noticed it was red etc, I went to the doctor and got onto the antibiotics. Keep us posted.

Thank you for sharing your picture of what your site looked like. Mine hasn't spread as much, but isn't responding well ...yet. On Friday the doctor said he wanted to keep me on Augmentin 500, but I asked for the liquid form. (yuck!) He said to call anytime, 24/7 if my temp. went to 101, or the redness gets obviously worse. So far, so good, except that the redness doesn't budge.

My redness is not getting worse. Its not going away either. I have been on antibiotics for 2 days . I will see my dr on friday. Hope all goes well for all of us.

Will power will power that is all it has been since my port removal surgery! It has been very hard!

I am looking forward to the port replacement in March. Surgeon said that he may add some saline during the surgery to give me some restriction.

I am hoping that it all works out this time! :)

I had my surgery almost a year ago and I remember mine looking the same as in the picture, I never got on antibiotics and it went away about 2 weeks later. I just thought it was from the tape they put on. Never had any problems since then. I hope all your gets better soon.

Thanks.

I am very hopeful that the port replacement surgery will go well.

I believe I will be fine..sometimes these things happen but it does not mean the band is not going to work...just a little glich in the process! :rolleyes:

How did your doctor's visit go on Friday? I had an appt. on that day too. (on my leap year birthday!). I'm still on Augmentin 500 and the redness has cleared up significantly. Give yourself some time and the redness will subside, but it's not fun waiting, is it?

I had my band placed on January 30 and maybe a week or so after that I was put on antibiotics. Can't wait to stop taking the med. because I have some yukky side-effects.

By the way, Benson is my "maiden name."

Hi to Sades, Summer87, Punkytres and everyone! Hope all are fine.

Hi Janie all is well here thanks. Glad to hear that your infection is getting better. I know what you mean about the tablets... I hate taking them. I had a severe allergy attack after taking mine for the port infection. My face was swollen and my whole body had red spots which turned to welts (horrible). This lasted for 8-10 days over Xmas / NY... yuk!

Okay I hate to even say things out loud because I don't want negative energy out there focused on this even with the best of intentions. So with that said.... It's fine... There isn't a problem.... This is going to go away.

I was in the tube on Saturday and noticed the skin over my port "very small area" like a pencil eraser size was think and white/clear underneath. I had my surgery on Thanksgiving 07 and no problems. I think my port kinda sticks up, but other than that nothing. The incision is still pink, but it's the same color as my other little ones. No fever, no pain..... I sterilized a needle and poked the area and there was drainage, clear yellow liquid.... not a bucket full, but enough...

Thoughts..... How long does erosion take to show up? It's not that, don't even say the word.... I keep thinking that I got it wet right after surgery and that this is just a reaction to Water getting in there?

Turns out it was a stitch on my port that had come loose.

It was working it's way to the surface and irritating the incision on it's way out.

All better. Dr. said it didn't even look infected.

Positive Thinking works

Kym

224/199/135

Hi, I was banded on July 30, 2008 (5 days ago). The port incision site was the most uncomfortable after surgery and while the others are healing nicely, the port incision area still stings a lot like it did on day one. The tape hasn't fallen off yet so I can't really say if it looks infected but it's sore to the touch and keeps me from sleeping. Is this normal at this stage or does it sound like an infection? I appreciate any responses!! :confused2:

Thanks!!

Frankie