Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kind of a pre op surgery question

Hi All!

I just need some input and opinions. I am having surgery April 14th. YAY!! In the meantime a place I interviewed with about a year ago (I didn't get the job) got in contact with me for an interview tomorrow. I am going to the interview.

Do I mention I am having surgery at the interview? Do I only tell them if they offer me the job? Or do I keep my mouth shut?

I figure honesty is the best policy and they may respect that and hire me despite having surgery soon. It's a job as an office assistant at a trucking company, so it's not super physical. I could really use the job!! as we all probably can with the economy the way it is.

Thanks!

I would definitely mention you will be out for a week or 2. I think it would piss them off if you were hired and all of a sudden you went out for a couple weeks. Most people can go back to work in as little as 1 week if its not a strenuous job.

Mention it at what point? During interview or if/when they make an offer?

I think you should wait until they make you an offer to mention it. At that point you are negotiating - they are making you a specific offer of salary and benefits and you are making a specific request for time off. No reason to give them the chance to rule you out based on that!

Nooo, do not offer any personal medical information about yourself. This interview is to find out more information about your work experience, your work ethic and your skills. Talk about those things. When and if they offer you a job, that is when you tell them what your start date will be.. Which you should schedule for at least 2 weeks after surgery. Since they or their insurance are not paying for your surgery you do not owe them that information. What you do owe them once you have started is to let them know you recently had surgery and that you will have a couple of follow up doctor appointments. Make sure they will give you SL to make those appointments. They don't understand WLS and if you tell them in advance that you are having surgery, it could taint the hiring process against you. Please think this out before you do anything.

I am 67, just retired after 47 years of working. I was shopping at the mall 4 days after the sleeve and a hernia repair. If you need the job desperately and if it is a desk job I think a week off and you will be good to go. I took one dose of med after 24 hours in the hospital and was feeling great! We are all different, however. Best luck with your decision!

Congrats on the interview-hope it goes well!! I agree with 2000m. Go to the interview, do not bring it up and do not disclose what you are having done. You should take at least a 12 days in a row off. As an employee you are protected from any discrimination but you should not disclose. All you have to say is I have to take x date to x date off just to let you know before I start that I am seeking this time off as a condition of employment. If after you start and they try and say you cannot go, you simply go to the dr and get them to write you out for the time you need and submit to the employer. With a drs note, I think you would be covered, You will noy be able to take sick time if you have only been with them a short time and you will not make money is all for the time you are off.

I wouldn't say anything until they make the offer, but you definitely need to tell them at that time. FMLA wont cover you and they can let you go with no reason if you go out for an extended period.

Other than that, you dont need to give them any details as to what the surgery is, just its medically necessary.

Thanks everyone. I do agree with the ones who said go to the interview, if I get an offer give them a start date 2 weeks after surgery. Another question--if, after surgery I am not feeling as well as I hope to and the surgeon doesn't give me the ok to go to work right then, then what?

I haven't worked in a while so I don't know what the proper way of doing things in this situation.

Thanks!