Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest (and only) disappointment with WLS

It's the slower than expected weight loss. Stalls happen, I get it. I know the scale is not the only measurement of success. But dammit, that's the one I'm hung up on.

Don't get me wrong, I would do it all over again. 52 pounds in 5 months is not to be discounted. In hindsight, I wish I had managed my expectation better.

What's your disappointment, if any?

I have been sitting on a stall...so I have not been able to break in to Onderland yet; which I fully expected to be by now...going to have to do something drastic soon

I hear you. I am in yet another stall in spite of doing everything right and following my program to a T. With my limit set at 800 calories a day, I really can't eat any less, so I will double up on the exercise. Dang, this is a lot of work. Nothing "easy" about it, Sometimes I beat myself up thinking maybe I COULD have lost the weight if I could just find that magic bullet. But Ihave been on a diet since 1976, so I just had to give up and give in to the surgery. I know it will fall off, but the stalls sure are exasperating. Rock on!

Heartburn. I never had heartburn until the surgery. Not that I would go back.

only disappointment with WLS

like many, many, many, many, many others say................

i only wish i had done this surgery years ago :(

can't go backwards :blink:

can't change the past :wacko:

life is good, great, wonderful, amazing, terrific (get my point!!) :)

happy camper in the neighborhood :)

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

5'3

57 years OLD :(

present

130 lb

GOAL

still 5'3 :D

60 years YOUNG :)

congrats to me :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Ditto with the stall frustration.

If I'm ever stranded on a remote island somewhere, I figure all I gotta do is NOT eat and I'll survive for months seeing as I won't lose any weight.

I hear you. I am in yet another stall in spite of doing everything right and following my program to a T. With my limit set at 800 calories a day, I really can't eat any less, so I will double up on the exercise. Dang, this is a lot of work. Nothing "easy" about it, Sometimes I beat myself up thinking maybe I COULD have lost the weight if I could just find that magic bullet. But Ihave been on a diet since 1976, so I just had to give up and give in to the surgery. I know it will fall off, but the stalls sure are exasperating. Rock on!

Another stall???? You lost 51 pounds in what? 3 months? Your droning great lady! Hope I can pull that off.

22 of those pounds were lost in the 4 month pre-op phase, so 28 pounds in 10 weeks is a lot better than if I had not had the surgery. That comes out to 2.8 pounds per week. I guess it all comes out in the wash, but we do get impatient for a little something to fall off every day. Arrrrrrrgh, I was instructed to weigh every day so as to not fall into complancy.

Wow...I don't know of any dr that says to weigh every day... usually...max...once a week, same time; same day...

You have to view the BIG picture...you are getting smaller and you know your body is changing... it will get there...just stay steady! ;)

I too thought the weight would come off a lot faster. I would do it all again in a heart beat. I know I am doing good, but why cant summer and weight goal get here faster!!

The heartburn / chest pain is a minor "regret" but a totally acceptable trade-off.

I miss being able to drink liquids with meals. I understand, I do my best to adhere... But I miss it.

My disappointment is from still being hungry. My appetite is there, even if my capacity isn't.

No disappointment. I have stalls but refuse to focus on the pounds lost. Instead I watch the inches come off. The surgery is merely a tool. There will be times you think nothing is happening. Don't give in. I don't feel I have lost what I should but we are all different. I see the changes and it's not always in pounds. I have dropped from a size 24 to a size 16 misses in pants and a 1x or 18-20 in tops. Don't be discouraged.

<p>No disappointment. I have stalls but refuse to focus on the pounds lost. Instead I watch the inches come off. The surgery is merely a tool. There will be times you think nothing is happening. Don't give in. I don't feel I have lost what I should but we are all different. I see the changes and it's not always in pounds. I have dropped from a size 24 to a size 16 misses in pants and a 1x or 18-20 in tops. Don't be discouraged. </p>

I'm a 28 to start... I've always said I don't care what I WEIGH I just wanna be a size 16 again... :) and I think some heartburn is worth that final result. :)

My biggest frustration is not even getting TO the stall! I've been working towards this surgery now for many months, and since Group Health in Washington is so freaking cheap, they have my psych evaluation nearly four months out from when I called for it. Now today I learned that instead of looking for a June surgery (previously they said May) now after the psych eval is scored i'll have to wait another 3 months for a pre-op with the surgeon, and then another two months for the actual surgery date. It's making me NUTS.

I love you all, and love the boards here, but please, please, don't anyone tell me this is a process and to be patient. I really do know that....but right now I'm just upset and frustrated. Maybe tomorrow I can embrace the #$%^&* process. sigh.