Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am in early gastric bypass phase, I E only 2 months out, My questions are first as time goes on can you ever drink with a meal or is this something that will always be drink before you eat and wait an hour after eating.

Secondly will breads, Pasta, rice and potatoes something we will never be able to eat again or will I be able to eat them in a year or so times.

Any feedback would be welcome.

I could not give up my Water before, during and after a meal. I have been drinking water during all stages of eating. I asked my doc during my 1 year check up and he said it was fine as long as the food was swallowed and settled in my stomach. I know this is not the normal response, but it has worked for me. As for the breads and stuff - I am able to eat anything I want at this point in my journey. Untasted bread can sometimes hit my pouch heavy, but everything else is ok. Remember that every doctor is different and mine seems to be very liberal in his views on diets and such. He believes that you must learn to live your new life and what works for you.

I will give you the opposite side since I see my clinic as more conservative than most I see here. We are told that we should ALWAYS follow the 30/30/30 rule. That rule is no drinking 30 minutes before eating, chew every bite 30 times, and no drinking for 30 minutes after finishing eating. Drinking while eating allows you to eat more since it pushes the food through your pouch. Stopping drinking and waiting to drink is making use of the tool that RNY is. Not following his rule most believe will lead to weight gain over time.

As for eating carbs... We should always eat our Protein first. We must also make our Protein goal. Once those are met adding in some carbs is fine. I have had potatoes, rice, crackers, and bread. The one thing that my NUT told me I should not go back to is Cereal for Breakfast. I always enjoyed oatmeal for Breakfast. There is simply not enough protein in any of the cereals to make the daily protein goal.

It's different for each of us, but I hope this helps. Good luck!!

I just had a check-up today and my clinic recommends, starting at around 6 months, to wait up to 90 minutes after eating to resume drinking liquids. I can drink up until I eat and I still need to chew my food 30 times.

I can eat about a cup of food at a time at this point. I was told that in the next 6 months and for the rest of my life, it will be up to 1 1/2 cups at a meal. Always Protein first.

Molly

Baconville, I eat refrigerator oatmeal almost every day. I shared the recipe with my nut today and he said it is a great way to start my day. You can find all the recipes at theyummylife.com. My favorite is blueberry maple: At night, put the following in a 1 cup container with a lid (I use ziplock snack containers): 1/4 c rolled oats 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds 1/3 c milk Maple Syrup to taste Hand full of fresh blueberries Refrigerate overnight. Stir in the morning and enjoy! It has 12g of Protein.

-Molly

Edited by DevilBlueDress

Molly, so you eat it cold, right? I have found recipes and ideas for cold. I normally have cherry or blueberry Greek Yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax seed. I miss hot Cereal. With cold foods you can always add Protein powder, to bump up the Protein if you need to. I have yet to find a powder that works in hot foods. I live in Minnesota and this winter I have really missed starting my day with a hot breakfast! My NUT told me that Egg Beaters would be my best option for a hot Breakfast. I just can't get excited about eggs in the morning, although I do have them for either lunch or dinner at least a couple days a week. Thank you so much for the ideas! I am definitely going to check out that site. Always looking for new ideas!!

Carol

Baked potatoes work well for me. Not too much luck with breads and pastas yet, 3 months out. I'm okay with that as it's empty calories that I don't need. My tasted for meat has really not come back since the surgery which is okay because I'm not having much luck with those either.

Trying to stay really positive because I wanted this surgery for so long and have had amazing results so far but I know I'm not getting the Protein that I should be.

Molly, so you eat it cold, right? I have found recipes and ideas for cold. I normally have cherry or blueberry Greek Yogurt with a tablespoon of ground flax seed. I miss hot cereal. With cold foods you can always add Protein powder, to bump up the Protein if you need to. I have yet to find a powder that works in hot foods. I live in Minnesota and this winter I have really missed starting my day with a hot breakfast! My NUT told me that Egg Beaters would be my best option for a hot breakfast. I just can't get excited about eggs in the morning, although I do have them for either lunch or dinner at least a couple days a week. Thank you so much for the ideas! I am definitely going to check out that site. Always looking for new ideas!! Carol

Yes, they are eaten cold but on the recipe site the author said you can heat them. I haven't tried that yet.

Molly (shivering in Wisconsin)

I'm almost two and a half years out and still follow the 30/30 rule. I'm so used to it as this point that I really don't think much about it.

As of the last time I tried it (probably close to a year ago), white rice and I don't get along (late stage dumping every time). No problems with bread but it sort of hits the pouch and sits there in a lump. Not painful but I get "full" very quickly. So I don't eat it often and when I do I can only eat small amounts. I usually eat sandwiches open faced so there's only half of the bread. No problems of any kind with Pasta and potatoes. Baked potatoes are delicious and with a little creativity you can add healthy toppings. French fries are obviously out but the problem is calories, not anything to do with the pouch.

Folks are sometimes under the impression that there is a long list of foods that you'll never be able to eat again following RnY. In my experience (and most veterans agree) that is simply not true. I have problems with rice and popcorn (bummer!) but for the most part I eat anything that I choose to eat.

Edited by DLCoggin

I am only 2.5 months out -- so this is JMHO -- but every post I read about regain or falling off track includes not following the rules of the pouch. The drinking with meals thing seems to be one of the most important rules because doing so literally pushes food through the pouch causing hunger much more rapidly. It can also stretch the small opening leading out of the pouch into the intestine -- certainly something that none of us wants to do. The other is carb consumption -- there is really no biological need for processed carbs like bread and rice. These are the foods that led most of us to obesity in the first place. I read time and time again about how crackers, pretzels, bread, crisps, potatoes etc started a snowball effect for so many. Therefore, my concern is not if I can ever eat them again but rather, how can I keep from eating them again.

I was referring to when we had met our goal weights not while losing weight, I know we must not drink while eating currently, But I know at least 6 past gastric patients (now 3-6years)patients, that have met their goal weights and they all drink with their meals and some of them have breads and rice's. My doctor also pointed out we can drink right up till we eat because this cause's us to feel fuller, therefore making over eating near impossible. I also never drink for at least 45/60 minutes after a meal. I was just wondering if any past op folks have been able to do this.

I was referring to when we had met our goal weights not while losing weight, I know we must not drink while eating currently, But I know at least 6 past gastric patients (now 3-6years)patients, that have met their goal weights and they all drink with their meals and some of them have breads and rice's. My doctor also pointed out we can drink right up till we eat because this cause's us to feel fuller, therefore making over eating near impossible. I also never drink for at least 45/60 minutes after a meal. I was just wondering if any past op folks have been able to do this.

I was referring to long term post op patients, too. I hope I didn't sound snarky, though. I am very concerned with maintenance and see that it's a struggle for a lot of people more than 18 months out. The more I read the more I am convinced that it is important (at least for me) not to view this as a temporary way of life until the weight is lost, but rather a more permanent lifestyle change. :-) On a lighter note, I do drink up until 10 minutes before eating. My doctor advises that is fine. I just can't drink with my meal or for 30 minutes afterwards. At 6 months, they like you to wait 60 minutes. This is what I find most difficult.

I was referring to long term post op patients, too. I hope I didn't sound snarky, though. I am very concerned with maintenance and see that it's a struggle for a lot of people more than 18 months out. The more I read the more I am convinced that it is important (at least for me) not to view this as a temporary way of life until the weight is lost, but rather a more permanent lifestyle change. :-) On a lighter note, I do drink up until 10 minutes before eating. My doctor advises that is fine. I just can't drink with my meal or for 30 minutes afterwards. At 6 months, they like you to wait 60 minutes. This is what I find most difficult.

I too view this as a lifetime change. I just can't understand why someone would go through major surgery and all the changes afterward, only to go back to the lifestyle that got them there to begin with. While I don't necessarily deny myself things, I do go with moderation and I try to opt for healthier choices. If I want pizza, I'll have pizza. But I'll have Smart Ones pizza or homemade pizza with low fat cheese. If I want a burger and fries, I'll limit myself to 2 or 3 fries, and I have a Gardenburger. Not saying I always make the BEST choices, but I certainly do try my best :)