Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most of you probably don't remember my previous posts, but I'm in the beginning stages of getting the gastric sleeve done..but things are moving very quickly since I'm self pay and we don't have to deal with insurance.

Next week is my psych evalutation and even though I know I'm not mental or crazy (it's debatable sometimes though LOL) I'm nervous. When I called to set up the appt they said to expect to be there for 2 hours...are we going through my childhood or something too?!? lol. Why does it take 2 hours? I'm just afraid during that I'll say something wrong and she won't approve me for surgery. Or I'm afraid she will say I'm not ready for surgery. I guess it just makes me nervous that my fate for surgery is in her hands. I'm hoping I don't stumble my words and can answer all of her questions. After that I take my education class on the 26th and then I have one more appt with the surgeon and we will schedule my surgery date at that appt....EEEK! Getting closer!

I went into mine with a positive attitude, a good mood and a light heart. The questions were not too heavy laden...more so to see why I want the surgery and what I expected to get out of it (results wise) I answered honestly and truthfully. We talked about my education background, touched on some childhood issues but overall she was just concerned that I was lucid, competent to make this decision and had a clear, concise understanding of what I am doing. Easy Piece of cake...I was supposed to be there for 2 hours also (it wound up being 30 mins flat)

BEST WISHES

They are most likely doing the 330 question evaluation you do on the computer before you see the shrink. It will ask the same questions over and over again in a slightly different way. They are looking for patterns in your answers to see if there is something odd going on with your personality. Some of the questions you'll think are nuts and they pretty much are. Don't worry about it too much, the shrink is not the final authority on whether you'll be successful after surgery.

My psych eval was a joke. Most of it amounted to a true false or multiple choice with some fill in questions. They typically ask the same type questions many different ways, to see if you are confused or unsure of your reasons. Common sense will guide you in what to say. They just want to be sure you are aware of what you're getting into and what to expect.

As in not expecting a magic pill, and understand the risks. Also that you don't have unrealistic expectations. Good luck.

Has anyone here ever seen Nip/Tuck? They had an episode where this girl who was heavily overweight came into the office to get lipo-suction. She was having her high school reunion in three months, and heard her high school crush had just gotten a divorce. She planned on getting the surgery, being skinny by the reunion, and he was going to see her and fall in love with her and live happily ever after... THAT is what they are screening for. Unrealistic expectations of results, and they want to make sure that you are doing this for all the right reasons.

I freaked out when my doctor gave me the paperwork to fill out before the evaluation. I overthink everything, and try to think of the question behind the question. "Do you find as much enjoyment out of things that you used to?" No, of course not, but that is due to maturity, not depression. When I was a child a red ball was all I needed to keep me happy....

They want to know that you have the right goals in mind, that you know what you are getting yourself into, and for reasons such as health. They don't want to give you the surgery only to find out the reason you got it in the first place was because you were depressed and blamed it on your weight. Then when you lose the weight, you will still be depressed, and may not follow the post surgery rules. It's all for your own protection and support, really.

Thank you all so much for your responses, they really helped ease my mind! My first Dr appt is on the 11th next week and my psych eval is the next day on the 12th. I'll update everyone that evening...thanks again! :)

They are most likely doing the 330 question evaluation you do on the computer before you see the shrink. It will ask the same questions over and over again in a slightly different way. They are looking for patterns in your answers to see if there is something odd going on with your personality. Some of the questions you'll think are nuts and they pretty much are. Don't worry about it too much, the shrink is not the final authority on whether you'll be successful after surgery.

I see you are 5 days POST op...I love asking people how they feel right after surgery. I want to prepare myself for the worse and hopefully end up surprised when it isn't so bad as I thought haha. So what's the verdict? How did you feel, and how do you feel now? Be honest ;)

MorganO87, can't give a good reply right now but look up my posting on the matter. Search... "Vicodin Haze" and you should find it.

Mine was really long, too. We had to do the standard psych eval exam, the MMI-2 is pretty common if you want to look up some of the questions in advance. You can ask them what they use. All the clinics are different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

If they use a written assessment, it will likely include these types of questions.

Mine was really long, too. We had to do the standard psych eval exam, the MMI-2 is pretty common if you want to look up some of the questions in advance. You can ask them what they use. All the clinics are different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

If they use a written assessment, it will likely include these types of questions.

Thank you so much...very helpful! :)

If you already see a psychiatrist check with your surgeons office about getting a letter from him or her stating that your are mentally fit to make decisions about surgery yourself. I did this and I don't have to do psych evaluation at all. I thought I would suggest this. If you don't, good luck!! Hoping everything goes well for you.