Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surprise! Additional test required before insurance submission

So, yesterday was my last visit of medically supervised weight loss. I lost more than they asked me to and I have completed all of the other hoops that I needed to jump through in order for my surgeon's office to submit to my insurance company. They told me I just need to have blood work done to test my Vitamin D level right after the appt. (at the hospital) and they would submit the info to insurance for approval that day. YAAAy!!! :D

Surprise! One of the nurses called me on my way back to work from the hospital to say that my insurance has an additional requirement that they forgot to tell me about (!) before they could put in for approval. I have to submit a stool sample so that they can test for h. pylori, which is apparently a bacteria that can cause ulcers and stomach cancer. So I stopped on my way home from work last night to get the collection kit (ewww) and then dropped off the sample at the lab this morning on my way to work. Not a huge deal, but it's annoying to be surprised with another hoop when you think you're done! Now they just have to wait for the results and then they can put in for approval.

I searched the forum and it doesn't seem like many people have had this testing requirement (and that those who did had to take a blood test, not a stool sample) and that if they did it was usually AFTER surgery. I'm a little concerned that if I test positive for h. pylori that my surgery will be further delayed. Anyone else have to do this BEFORE surgery? If you tested positive, did it delay your surgery date?

Thanks in advance!

My surgeon does a stomach biopsy for h pylori when he does a preop endoscopy. If you test positive, it's usually a round of antibiotics and a retest before surgery - so slight delay.

My surgeon does a stomach biopsy for h pylori when he does a preop endoscopy. If you test positive, it's usually a round of antibiotics and a retest before surgery - so slight delay.

Interesting. My surgeon's practice only does endoscopies on people who are having gastric bypass--not if you are having the sleeve.

My doctor conducted a blood test and put me on an aggressive antibiotic that I had to take 6 pills everyday for two weeks .

I had to do the stool sample for the same test. My insurance did it in the very beginning though, and I actually did have the h. pylori and they had me on a round of medication to get rid of it before I moved forward. Hopefully you don't test positive so there isn't another delay!! Good Luck!!

I had to do the h. pylori test, but it is a breath test at my doctor's office, not a stool sample (eeewww).

1. I have to do the breath test as well, but because my surgeon's office requires it (insurance actually requires very little). They want me to stop taking omeprazole for 2 weeks prior (they tell me this today, when my final hoop/ testing appt is in 5 days. grrr). I have GERD super bad and I've gone back & forth all day with the surgeon's office because I can't not take my meds for 2 weeks...what are they thinking?

I tested positive for h pylori at Kaiser in 2012 & they gave me a 2 week course of antibiotics. It seemed easy enough. Hopefully they can test you, & if necessary, treat you while the insurance company is approving & you're getting your date. Good luck!

Edited by SarahChavaBlingstein

I wish my insurance would have asked for the test because I found out after surgery I had H pylori and was not able to treat it because my surgeon said I couldn't do anitbotics for at least a month. OMG, it was really difficult doing the antibotics as they were pill form and HUGE. Had to cut the suckers in half and take - YUCK. 2 Weeks of antibotics. Not fun.