Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op hospital stay

Be prepared just in case for a longer stay . I had little pain in the beginning but threw up for 4 days and that was so painful I ended up staying 5 days cause they wouldn't let me leave till I stopped vomiting and could drink and a shake!!

Edited by Darianna75

I was sleeved 4 days ago. I had a 3 night stay. Apparently my body did not like the pain pump...whatever it was it made me dry heave. That was the worst. As soon as I figured it out I stopped using the pain pump. I ended up getting a few shots of Toradol. ... what a difference!!! I got to come home last night and I have only used the pain medication twice.... I think I am doing pretty well! The gas is the worst, but that is just temporary. Right??

Good luck future sleevers!! You can do this!

I had my surgery yesterday am and am just now about to leave 6pm the next day. They would've kept me another night had I not been doing so well. Just be sure to follow dr.'s orders to a 'T' as well as the nurses and you will be just fine. Don't be afraid for more painkillers, or whatever else you need, that's what the nurses are for! And like so many other say: walk walk walk. I only did like 3 laps around the floor today and that was enough for me.

I was sleeved on Tuesday, March 4th, 7:30 am. I stayed 2 days and glad I did. I had terrible had pains day after surgery when they took the pain pump away. I walked a lot but the pain was bad. I couldn't get down 100 ml of Water per hour and I was afraid I'd get dehydrated without the IV so I decided to stay 1 extra night. Glad I did because I ran a fever on night 2 and felt awful! Trust your judgment, staying an extra night won't hurt. I'm so glad I did.

I had my surgery almost 4 weeks ago now. I was one of the fortubate ones and had very little gas pain and no nausea. The most useful thing I took with me was a small firm pillow...this helped tremendously as I had to cough lots. I would also pack some really comfy jammies and. ...a pair or two of granny panties - these were my saving grace as my drain was really bothering me so I could just tuck it in my undies and go.

Edited by solea78

Got to the hospital at 8am, Knocked out for Surgery around noon, due to some delays with the person having surgery before me. Was brought to my room between 2 and 5pm (that part is a little hazy) by 10 or 11PM I was disconnecting the massage things they put on your legs and using the restroom and taking laps around the halls. Then back to the room, sleep a bit then up again for restroom and walking.

You really need to push yourself through the first day and be as active as possible.

The woman in the room next to me, thanked me for giving her the motivation to get up and move around. She seen me walk by the first couple times and then decided to join me every time I got up to walk.

We were both released after 1 night.

I was in 2 nights but that's my doctors way. He wants to make sure that his pts don't get dehydrated so I was on IV fluids for the whole time. Doesn't give pain button. Was on IV Tylenol for 2 days and IV pain med when I asked for it. He gave me good stuff stronger then basic morphine. Had surgery several years ago and found out that morphine doesn't really do it for me when I was in pain. Second changed to liquid Vicodin. I had a large amount of pain so I took everything I could get. Used it at home every 4 to 6 hours for the first 2 weeks. Best friend was my binder. Helped in getting up moving and trying to sleep. If they don't give you one at the hospital go to a medical supply store and get one. The support of your abd muscles is really important the first month.

I stayed exactly 12 hours lol. Checked in at 8 Thursday morning and discharged 8 Friday morning. Hospital stay was nice, kind of like a vacation. Woke up every few hours at night so the nurse could check vitals. Wasn't cleared to drink until Friday morning so I just had ice chips before that. My room was too quiet so I fell asleep listening to the radio on my kindle.besides that I just watched tv.

The drugs I had were good. I have no recolection of surgury just "Ok Andrea deep breath and count to 3"..then someone yelling at me to wake up and I was being rolled out and up to the floor. My handsome man was soooo nervous but he did ok. They put me in my room and I was hooked.up on saline. The nurse overnight missed my vein so my hand swelled up like crazy. That was just uncomfortable and I was up and walking pretty good. I wanted to leave-so I was motivated. I got maybe 3 hrs of sleep and was woken up all night long. I could not read since the nausea meds make you see double so I played solitaire on my phone all night. Glad that part is behind me. It was scary but not bad and I was.happy to be leaving.

My hospital stay was three night and four days. Everyone has a different view on their hospital stay, mine wasn't the greatest or the worst. I brought my own Protein Shake which they fridgerated for me, and my friend brought me broth from the Chinese place :-). They pushed the sipping and walking which was needed, but annoying lol. My pain was controlled with pain meds which I felt controlled them and made me more comfortable. This may be a TMI advice but I believe in being honest...if you feel like you have to pass gas, it may be a smart idea to sit on the toilet. I don't think much more needs to be said. Lol. I found out after surgery when it was to late about that. It seems more common then not, just not something that is brought up on the forums. Lol. I am now 5 months post op from the sleeve and lost over 100 pounds since surgery date. Wishing you nothing but the best! Keep is posted :-)

It sounds like my doctor's practice is unique. I had my sleeve done yesterday on an out-patient basis. In at 8:30, operation at 10:30, heading home at 3:00.

I've been doing great. No nausea and able to tolerate a wide variety of liquids. (Knock on wood.)

Congrats justabill, that is great. I'm glad you are doing do well. I had a hiatal hernia repair, but it's taken 2 weeks to finally feel good.