Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I have lost probably 4:cry 0% of my hair since my surgery in October; it's really dry too. I talked to a pharmasist to see what I could take - she said nothing, really. Will my hair come back? What are your experiences? I truly have alot of balding Patches now.

Thanks in advance.

On another note, I am thrilled with my weightloss - 92 lbs. so far.

Kat.

My hair is coming out too, well breaking off is really what it is doing. I take Biotin, B 12 and Iron to help combat it and use really good Shampoo and conditioner it seems to have slowed it but not stopped it. My pcp says it is a side effect of losing weight and it should stop, and to make sure to get enough Vitamins and Protein but it should stop. I hope so. I have read alot of people have this problem.

also might add prenatal Vitamins too. Ive read folic acid has something to do with it. i could be fulla poo but its worth a shot.

A handful of years ago when i was on phenphen (ooo) i lost about seventy lbs and a bunch of hair too. I started the prenatals and it came back. also started using infusium Shampoo conditioners, it helps bring moisture back. If that doesnt work, try sebastians potion number 9. just a dab of goo will do after you get out of the shower.

I had a real problem with breakage, rather than coming out at the root. My hair did thin noticeably in that I had no part spreading or hairline issues but it got very ratty on the ends - and very quickly too. This happened to me from about 10 months post banding.

I was desperate about it, as I'm pretty vain about my hair.< /p>

In the end, I solved it by paying more attention to my diet which hopefully will pay dividends over the long run but cant help short term. What I did, as I've always had dry hair, was stop trying to saturate it in moisturising products and switched to Protein products instead, on the advice of a new hairdresser.

So I started using the Redken Extreme range (although I note Nioxin is now available here, wonder if its the same sort of thing). Reconstructive Shampoo and I use Redken CAT treatment every single shampoo followed by a conditioning treatment after that. So yeah, every two days I'm spending almost an hour washing my hair, but I just had to. I've done that for 2 months, then I had a hair cut and colour the other day and my hairdresser said its in perfect condition and that I should now wean myself down to just the Extreme conditioner and shampoo and do the treatment routine once per week.

All my life I've had fine, frizzy dry hair and this is honestly miraculous. Since I straighten my hair I want it shiny and smooth and it has a feel of silkiness and strength that I've never experienced before. I never realised that what my hair wanted wasnt moisture but Protein.

I think perhaps the quality of hair you're growing drops due to the decreased nutrients when you're banded, and you have to take a supplement, eat as well as you possibly can but still be prepared to have to put some hard work in from the outside.

But this routine has really worked for me. Its time consuming but worth it.

My doctor said there is a prescription you can ask for if you're worried about hair loss (or in your case losing hair), that they can prescribe to reduce the Hair loss during the weight loss. I will ask the name of it on April 11th when I go back in if your doctor doesn't know what it is. Meanwhile, I'd ask your doctor if he knows what it is?

When I did the Atkins diet, I lost weight rapidly and did lose a signicant portion of hair at the time. That was partially why I stopped the diet :confused:

I had a bald spot on the back of my head for.. well, that was 2 years ago and it's still a thin spot for me now. I use to have extremely thick hair, and it's grown back some but it's not back to what it use to be.

Good luck!

Help! I have lost probably 4:cry 0% of my hair since my surgery in October; it's really dry too. I talked to a pharmasist to see what I could take - she said nothing, really. Will my hair come back? What are your experiences? I truly have alot of balding Patches now.

Thanks in advance.

On another note, I am thrilled with my weightloss - 92 lbs. so far.

Kat.

That question came up in my pre-op class yesterday. My booklet says: "Deficiencies in Vitamin A lead to night blindness, kidney stones, mild skin problems, and inflamed mucous membranes. Since Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitmin and excess intke can also be hazardous. Symptons of excessive intake inlude loss of appetite, dry skin, Hair loss, headaches, and neasuea."

There is a Supplement you can get, I think at GNC, called Hair, Nails & skin

I am taking one I got from Wal-Mart by rexall called EXTREME Biotin 1500 MCG. and it says on the front "promotes skin, hair & nail health" perhaps this will help.

I don't have a band yet but I started taking it and skin and hair looks better and is growing.

when i got my hair cut a few weeks ago i apologized in advance for all the hair would come out. She did a ph balance deep condition and for the last week i can see a noticable slow down in the hair fall out. Dont know if its connected but... =)

I went and got Prenatal Vitamins; the Pharmacist thought this was a really good idea!

Thanks again!

Kat

also might add prenatal Vitamins too. Ive read folic acid has something to do with it. i could be fulla poo but its worth a shot.

A handful of years ago when i was on phenphen (ooo) i lost about seventy lbs and a bunch of hair too. I started the prenatals and it came back. also started using infusium Shampoo conditioners, it helps bring moisture back. If that doesnt work, try sebastians potion number 9. just a dab of goo will do after you get out of the shower.

This subject came up at an eating/behavior class! The dietician said that if you are eating enough Protein ... the usual cause for Hair loss with weightloss surgery patients is... not enough fat in the diet!!! It will cause you hair to become dry, brittle, and fall out!! It may take some time to reverse this process. It is rare that a dietician says "eat more fat"- but she recommends eat more "good fats". (not more fries). She said that this is more common with gastric bypass, but is showing up a lot with lap-banders now too!!

I hate to say it ... but try to add more fats into your diet....nuts, olive oil, fish oils etc. and , you may see a great improvement.GOOD LUCK.

I am losing my hair like crazy now too. In the morning I fill up my hairbrush TWICE just by brushing it gently. Any suggestions? I have tried to increase my Protein intake and am now back to having the Protein Drinks in the morning. Hope it helps. Haven't seen any progress yet though.

It is common and it will come back. In the meantime, female comb-overs! LOL

okay thats not funny!!! You didn't tell me about the hair loss, if my hair is funky this fat chick doesn't leave the house.. you are so in trouble!!!! I think i'll have to "throw the book at you":D Do i have to look at getting a wig too... this is not funny! comb-over to be thin hum think i will look into a wig. LOL

okay thats not funny!!! You didn't tell me about the hair loss, if my hair is funky this fat chick doesn't leave the house.. you are so in trouble!!!! I think i'll have to "throw the book at you":D Do i have to look at getting a wig too... this is not funny! comb-over to be thin hum think i will look into a wig. LOL

LOL! Ohhhhh! Did I forget to mention the word bald?

Heh...

Some people do lose some hair. It gets thin. Some claim it is a lack of Protein in the diet, some claim it is a lack of fat, others claim it is from fast and massive weight loss. That is why thinning is MUCH more common in bypass patients vs. banded.

Comb-over.... it's not bad. Ask balding men. :eek:

Jachut, I've been trying $$$ conditioning shampoos/conditioners, and all they're doing is leaving my hair feeling weighted down (IMO, it doesn't really look any different, it's just the feel) and my hair now takes about twice as long to dry as it used to. There's no difference in texture at all. Well - the hair is soft, but it's so frizzy you can't really tell. The Protein makes sense, esp. since that's what we're dealing with anyway. I think I will give that a try. I have a general fondness for Redken products. Are you still happy with the results you've gotten from your haircare program?

Jachut- I Know this is the wrong thread, and I've seen you post other places but I just this moment noticed your weightloss. Your starting weight was 113, and now you're 78? And.. now I see you're doing kg, not lbs (scrolled back up to make sure I wasn't hallucinating).. I was wondering how short someone has to be for 113lbs to be a 35 BMI. LOL! Guess I had too much pain meds ;)