Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I'm 7 days post-op and I'm craving food! I'm still on the liquid stage and cannot manage much as I feel like there's air moving around after every sip. I can't wait until I can eat proper food again and I'm thinking of all the things I could cook (healthier things) but is this normal? I know I'm supposed to be breaking out my food obsession but I'm finding it hard. Did anyone else go through this?

Thanks all

Sallie

I remember hitting my 3rd week and being allowed to eat an egg. I was so excited! I think it's normal to miss food, to an extent. And as long as you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and you know you must eat well, you will be OK.

I did the same thing. I am a caterer, so what I realized somewhere along the way, that I wasn't really hungry....I just wanted to cook! So I went back to work a little early. Try a chewable antacid in addition to what your dr prescribed. It reduces the acid that makes you feel hunger pain. Someone on this site recommended it to me, and it REALLY helped, but I was happy to see an egg too...even though I hate them :).

Can you have yogurt yet? I was able to have the greek yogurt cups from day 1 and found those really helped me during the liquid phase. It feels more like eating rather than drinking.

I too am one of the unfortunate ones to have hunger from the get go. The nice thing about the sleeve though, is that hunger and craving gets satisfied very quickly.

It's funny because I'll be hungry and then weigh out around 100g (3-4oz) of ground turkey (or something similar), and then only be able to eat 1/2 of it because I get full so quickly. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you make good food choices (Protein, Protein, protein) before choosing to eat anything else (veggies/carbs).

Edited by mythbuster1304

Everyone is different, but my cravings never really went away. They have eased up a great deal though.

Starting week 2 I have been hungry for real food. I miss my old comfort foods but I'm sticking to the diet.

Thank you all for your replies, I'm staying strong and distracting myself with other things. It's given me an excuse to start sewing again lol x

Love to all

I am 8 days post surgery today. I had my first post op visit. I completely feel your pain.

Today I was allowed to start my second stage of liquids. I can now include clear broth from stage one as well as creamed Soups (no chunks of course) sugar-free pudding, sugar-free Jell-O, certain yogurts, coffee diluted with milk, tea, Crystal light drinks, diluted apple juice, sugar-free applesauce, sugar free hot chocolate and my Protein shakes.

Sounds like a lot, right? To bad I am still craving my old food. I'd love to have penne a la vodka and at least just suck on the Pasta with sauce but not eat the Pasta. I craved a piece of turkey bacon when my fiancé cooked it the other day and licked a piece instead of eating it. I feel like I'm alone on this.

I was told that eventually I can get back to eating things that I would like but will realize that I don't really need that food anymore. I know with my presurgical diet I did really well without the sugars and carbs. I was allowed to eat that stuff but it was 100% frowned upon. Very high-protein, low-carb, no sugar. I survived and felt great. It's just knowing that I literally cannot eat that food right now is what's killing me. I know that it will rip my stomach apart, probably has a very hard time swallowing and the aftermath could be severe. That's what is keeping me going.

Just remember that we did not get where we are because we were salad lovers. I am here and although you will feel alone, you're not.

Ugh I remember it all too well and yes I craved food, I think that's normal! They didn't operate on Your mind and even tho your tummy wouldn't like food at this point it has a hard time processing all the smells and things it "misses". That's the beast called head hunger! I was on full liquids post op what are you on? Have you tried a variety of cream Soups (strained) those were ok and the variety was welcome, I also enjoyed the Unjury chicken broth mixed with different spices. I thinned Greek yogurt with skim milk and just hung on until I hit mushy foods at 3 weeks. Hang in there it'll be over soon!

Sweetpea, I am sending hugs your way. This is such a hard time, but it does get better. The suggestions here are all good: antacids help a lot, yogurt if your doc allows it. I was able to have cottage cheese fairly early and that helped a lot. :)

I also enjoyed the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth mixed with different spices.

My nutritionalist at my surgeons office just gave me samples of this Unjury stuff in packets. Haven't tried yet! I have the non flavored powder by Unjury I can also mix in foods if I'd like. Not sure about that one though!

I think if anything the PreSurgery diet and post surgery diet will help set me up for the reality of foods again.