Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Emptying Study

Hello:

I had an EGD a couple of weeks ago and the doctor recommended a gastric emptying study because even though I hadn't eaten for more than 12 hours there was some food in my stomach. So, yesterday I had the gastric emptying study. The EGD also showed mild gastritis, mild esophagitis, and small hiatal hernia. I've had GERD for 20+ years.

Has anybody else had this study done? Does anyone know if this study showed slow moving food out of my stomach will that squash my hopes of being sleeved?

I appreciate anything you can share on this subject.

Thanks.

Sue

03/02/2014l

03/02/2014

Hi,

I was curious why the Doctor decided to do the study for you? Have you been having re-flux

problem's?

I had never heard of this procedure until a few weeks ago when the doctor asked me if I would want to have one as I keep getting sick and the asthma doc thinks its a combination of re-flux and

asthma making me cough all the time.

Hope you are doing well.

Have you heard whether this condition would stop you from having the surgery?

Sincerely,

Searching

Dear Sue

Sorry if I had read a little closer I would have realized you have inflammation in your tummy and

esophagus.

Again, hope you find out soon whether it would interfere with WLS.

Sincerely,

Searching

Searching:

If I don't hear from the Gastro tomorrow I'll call on Tuesday. I just had the Gastric Emptying Study on Saturday. She may not even get the results until Tuesday or afterwards.

Once I hear from her I'll contact the surgeon that did my two bands. He might be doing my sleeve too, not sure yet. I have an appointment at Lahey Clinic for a second opinion on a week from Thursday. I'm sure that my band surgeon will let me know if the signs are showing that I shouldn't be sleeved. He told me already in December that I'm a bit higher risk because of the two previous bands and band erosion. I may chose the surgeon at Lahey because he's done a lot more sleeves than my band surgeon has. My band surgeon recommended that I see the surgeon at Lahey Clinic to get his opinion before proceeding and to see if he thinks I should go to a more experienced surgeon. They know each other.

Anybody else have a Gastric Emptying Study done? What did the results mean as it relates to Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy?

Please let me know if have any of you reading this thread have any experience with this.

Thanks.

Sue