Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just home from surgery

hi everyone

just got home from surgery.:clap2:

i did well with it but i'm having trouble getting comfortable

i'm also nauseous.

but....these are small things.

anyway i will check in tomorrow

welcome to our world, you are now on the losing side. Hope you feel good. I was banded on march 1 and felt fine no pain meds, no gas pains, get up and move around. get a good night sleep good luck

Congratulations! It's so reassuring to see Spivak patients post so early after surgery. I am going in next Wednesday (gulp) and your post helps put me at ease. Happy healing to you!

hi everyone,

thanks for the well wishes.

my only problem was the nauseousness and i must tell you...it was bad. but this isnt due to the lapband. i always have this reaction to anesthesia

libra...were you nauseous. if so...what did you do?

everything else is fine.

shineon...where are you having spivak's surgery? i had it at park plaza medical center and when i tell you i couldnt have been taken better care of. and they were so nice to my sister in law.

i am originally from NY where some of the hospitals are "less then nice" so this was an additional benefit.

also to make you even more comfortable...a couple of the nurses had this operation and they used spivak. they said he was the best and very scientific.

so today i feel MUCH better. i am drinking tons and also doing the breathing exercise.

thanks again...:)

one last thing...i should have weaned myself off coffee before the operation. i had a little caffeine headache...so these are small, small issues...

Congratulations, good luck on your band journey.

Keep doing your breathing exercises, you're doing really well.

I drink coffee everyday, gotta have my java.

I had a reaction to the morphine drip. I was dry heaving and couldn't keep Water down at all. I needed to go back to the hospital and get an IV.

That's why I said to make sure you keep hydrated. I don't think there's much you can do for nausea until the anesthesia is completely out of your system.

Hi Josie...

I was at Park Plaza yesterday also. I might have seen you but they took my glasses from me when I went to the surgical floor... so not sure if it was you or not...lol. It was really nice to talk to the nurses that were Spivak patients, and also cool that Dasha came to see us.

Everything went well. I am sore but doing Ok.

I am so grateful to everyone on this site. I lurked for months before actually joining, and this is my first post...woohoo!

Banded 3.30.07 - The Man, The Myth, The Legend... Dr Spivak

310/306/210

Hey, Josiebies -

Try ginger for the nausea -I have candied ginger from the local Asian market - but any will work. Just put a very small piece in your mouth,

bite down, but don't chew or swallow it - just allow your mouth to fill

and then swallow the juice. Its a 3,000 year old remedy and its never

failed me! Good luck !

I did not hear anyone mention this when I did my research (it was news to me when I went to the doctor) the H. Pylori test for the bacteria in your stomach pre-op. I take mine in 3 days (have to be 5 days off of Prilosec for acurate reading-this is rough).. But they said that if you have this bacteria, you're more likely to be nauseous after the surgery aside from the anesthesia. Did you have this test?

Never heard of it, I have just been a ginger fan for years and know that some people do not tolerate anesthesia well and become nauseated - I

am lucky and don't - I tolerate it very well. Best of luck to you!!

hi everyone,

my sister in law mentioned the ginger but it was late last night. i am going to get some. at 1:00 am this morning when i had dry heaves i took 2 tums....and it helped.

but i think the ginger would have been a better idea.

tallgirl:i was in room 514 and had my surgery at 9:00 am.

laura: i did not hear about that test.

actually what i loved about dr spivak...he didnt overdo testing. in fact i went to his seminar on wednesday...he saw i was healthy from what i said...and he did the surgery friday. no preop diet, etc.

another place i went to wanted me to go to a cardiologist, etc. even though i was healthy and had annual tests from mayo clinic to prove it.

i know everyone is different and i would be happy to do tests...if they are necessary.

libra: i'm drinking and drinking...thanks for advice :nervous

anyway i'm glad about thise site. the lists they have for pre op prep and post op prep were very helpful (ie. liquid tylenol, etc)

My Doc sent me home with a script for Phenergan. Its been a miracle! I had it first in the hospital and have only had to take one since I have been home! Surgery 3/27 - Dr. Ray - Bloomington, IN