Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you find its physically easier to eat garbage?

I can absolutely relate to all of you and find this so weird that most of us share the same issues. This band is crazy and scares me sometimes (i worry about Vitamins I'm missing-my hair is thinning) but I wouldn't change it for anything. You NEVER know what or when you can eat, you waste money on food and I eat way too much bad food (sweets, mashed potatoes, chips, fried foods) because they almost always go down. I would love to eat a steak, sandwich or an diner Breakfast again! I've been unfilled since Feb now and feel as tight as when I had 1.9 in..... Scared to go see whats going on since I dont think I should be this tight or pbing if I'm unfilled. Just dont want to lose the band it is such a great tool!

Glad I found this thread!

Cheryl

I pretty much eat whatever the mood strikes and don't worry about it. I can't eat enough of any one food to hurt me, so I don't worry about it. some days I can eat chicken, seafood or steak no problem and a few veggies - some days I can't so it's Soup & Water on those. ONe of the things I"m trying really hard NOT to do is dwell on my food intake anymore. Gone are the days when I woke up thinking about Breakfast, and while i was eating breakfast planning lunch and dinner... The only thing I can eat a ton of is popcorn, and I let myself once in a while because it's not a horribly bad food to begin with... I did go though a stage of eating 'real' sugar and 'real' butter because i couldnt eat enough of it to matter, but I've gone back to the substitutes - it just makes more sense.

i totally agree, the more sloppy something is the better it goes down.

the more dry it is the harder it is to go down, or should i say...to stick in my throat.

I had steak tonight. I was told a lot of people get stuck on steak no matter how much they chew. I chewed like crazy and cut the bites into tiny slivers. I hate it so much when food gets stuck, that I have learned to chew until it's liquid.

I agree, popcorn goes down like there is no band. Since I had my new fill, I am worrying about getting all my Protein in. Right now, that's my main concern. Since I can't eat very much anymore, it has to be Protein packed. I am sick of my hair falling out!

Thank you for answering my questions about slime and all that other stuff.

I travel alot and I think I am ready for my 2nd fill. I had my first on May 9,07.

My doctor told me that sometimes the pouch gets air along with the saline. Every body is different and we will eventually find a happy medium. I am scheduled for a 2nd fill on June 14. Since I travel all over the southwest, I have found fill centers, USA. They will be doing my fill. Anyone ever heard of them? Sometimes I am not sure I am ready for a 2nd fill, because I feel the restrictions one day and then my next meal feels restricted. I never thought about the time of day or stress affecting my band. Thanks all!!!

I am really conscious of what I'm eating, but it does seem as if the poor choices go down better some days! I have a hard time eating any meat or chicken but cheetos usually go down OK! Having said that, I gave up chocolate completely a couple of weeks ago and am down 9 pounds, so now it seems worth the deprivation and I'll keep on. It's too easy to eat "a little" that turns into a lot. I was getting REALLY frustrated and depressed because I had been at the same weight for 8 months, but hopefully now the scale will keep moving again.

Emily

Yes, if I have a hard time eating for the day I will stop at Taco Bell and have two or three tacos. I have never had a problem eating chip and dip either.

I'm about 6 months out and have two fills, and I find eating Protein really difficult most of the time. Junk (Cookies, ice cream, crackers, chips) seem to go down fine usually but eating healthy is very difficult. Also, I find I can't usually keep anything down at all until after 5 pm ....so during the day I just try and drink Water. Even Protein drinks don't go down easily. I seem to be caught in this "slime" mode most of the time when I try and eat normally. It's getting really frustrating. And yet, every once in a while I can eat anything I want and it goes down fine. I just don't understand. I know the band isn't too tight because sometimes I can get a good volume of something down. I hate going out to eat. It's embarrassing that I have to eat so slow or go to the restroom to PB because I start to slime.

Is anyone else having this much difficulty?

I just started a new thread yesterday with almost the same exact situation as you're having. I'm not losing weight because I find myself filling up on the high calorie things I can get down- like ice cream and chocolate. Can't help you with any solutions but I feel your pain.

I definitely find it easier to eat junk. Especially shakes, ice cream, etc. I cannot eat beef at all and am starting to wonder if it is worth it...Hard veggies are out, as are any sorts of bread. Protein Shakes make up the largest part of my diet. I can eat tortilla chips (strangely enough), lettuce and Tomato salads, Beans, and eggs with small amounts of cooked veggies. I feel that my diet is much less healthy since having been banded. I used to eat ALOT of veggies, grains, Proteins, etc. I had a huge appetite. I am hungry frequently. I know that I am not at my "sweet spot" as they say, but hope to be soon. I hate being hungry because if I eat too fast, as you know, the dreaded slime sets in and that heart attack feeling. Oh, I found another thing I can eat tonight, baked potatoes. One bite of beef and I am in pain no matter how long I chew. I pureed ground beef with mushroom Soup and green beans and I couldn't eat it! I love beef. Is there any chance that this may change over time? I don't know. I hope so. I also feel that I am a slow loser, which wasn't as true before I had the band. I just couldn't ever keep it off. I had a 75 pound scale range. Too much and too often...

Rhondako, I am with you there. I am sooo afraid to eat in public. I would try Soup, but never any thing else. I really miss eating out...

<p>I am in between on this too. I eat what I want but I don't want much. If my son has fries from McD's I have a few. I have chips if they are around so I try not to have them around much. Most of the time I eat Protein 1st. My goal was to be able to eat tiny portions of whatever I want. Its not always possible to eat everything but that is my goal. I eat no bread or pizza ever. I don't think they will work and I truly don't miss them. I used to eat french bread and butter alot. And pizza was a huge red light food for me.</p>

When I eat veggies I have to make sure they are cooked very well. They go down better if they are soggy.

I just read all the pages, and like you said everyone is different, but there are many common challenges we face.

I have not had a fill yet, one week away. I can't vote for I don't think I have the same level of experiences. My PA told me that most junk foods will go down, so I wish she never told me that! I haven't tried popcorn but salsa and chips go down fine! This has been my snack of choice for a long time, so I will stick with baked chips!

I have had sliming issues already. My PA said I may have saline in my band from surgery, and I read from others who went for their first fill that they did. I guess I will find out next week. I can't eat breast meat chicken! I can eat it if fajita or dark meat. I heard good cuts of steak, filet mignon may work, but I have not tried.

But with out a fill, I can't comment like you all. I am getting worried. I dont want to pbing either. the sliming scares me enough.

thanks for all the info, it helps.

I am going through I really ruff time. I certainly agree when it comes to eating junk is easier. I got so tired of trying to eat different things...good things I mean and of course puking them up. So I turned to easy things like Ice Cream. I can eat it with no problems. I do eat they low fat kind, but now I am so use to eating mostly Ice Cream that I can not seem to break the habit. I know I have go to stop this but it is just so much easier to eat. I am one year out and just below my goal weight. I do pretty good a maintaining even eating ice cream. I am going for a fill in the next few weeks. Trying to set up a appt now. I hope this helps me get back on track soon. I have done so good and I do not want to mess it up.