Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severely Light Headed!

Hi there I'm 23 days post op and doing well. However when I get up I get horribly light headed. I don't know the cause and it's very disconcerting. Has anyone else had this happen to them and/or know how to fix it. All ideas are welcome:)

It could be low blood pressure. Are you on BP meds? If so, maybe you should talk to your doctor about reducing them. Otherwise, it can be dehydration and/or you are not getting in enough food.

Call your doctor!

That's all I've got.

Edited by magtart

Exact same thing happened to me. Once I got up to go to bathroom in the night, passed completely out and woke up with my husband standing over me hollering and I had a busted lip! :((. All I remember was pitching forward and everything going black.

This happened a lot! I was on BP meds and I immediately had to lower and then stop

Taking as my BP was normal and then low on the meds

It is a known issue especially when you sit up quickly or stand quickly. Make sure you are getting enough potassium also. Like eating. banana nuts.

I agree with the rest of the posters. Most likely your blood pressure. Get up slowly and it should help with everything. Check with your doctor as you may need to lower the bp meds or get off of them completely. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. ..However I'm not on any BP meds, I'm only 19 and I think it may be from not enough food; )

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. ..However I'm not on any BP meds, I'm only 19 and I think it may be from not enough food; )

That was my 2nd choice!

I still get lightheaded at times but I think it's my blood pressure dropping (I'm a lot older than you...), but like someone else said, you could be dehydrated. Make sure you're getting in all your fluids. Good luck.

Betty

This happened to me for 3 days around the same time. It was terrible...I just made sure to get my Protein in....I added some poweraide zero to all my Water...like 1/2 and 1/2...made sure I was taking my vitamines and added Iron....felt normal after all of that so I keep up that routine accept the Water is 3/4 and poweraide is 1/4

I think it was the Iron that really helped.Try to increase calories if you can too..maybe just by 100 cals...

I even went to my PCP...they ran my labs and all was good. BP was great etc. I even checked my BP at home when I was very dizzy...

Edited by michelle68

BP was my first guess, but since you're not on meds, that's not it. I'm going with dehydration. And possibly low calories?

I'm not certain but it could possibly be from dehydration. I wound up going to the hospital last Thursday with a severe case of vertigo. Possible cause, dehydration.

I am also experiencing this where I just feel really dizzy even if I have eaten. I will try more Vitamins, I think it's getting a good mix of Protein and Water. It has happened to me at work twice during the day. My job can be high stress at tikes so I think my work also adds to it. Good luck, I will let you know if I find anythibg that helps it.

I had a conversation about this just yesterday. Even if you are not on BP meds, your blood pressure could have dropped due to lower sodium intake. Have you had it checked? I know our grocery store has a machine that you can check it in a pinch. Look at what you are eating, if it is crazy low in sodium, you may need to incorporate more into your diet. Best to always listen to your body and bring it up with your doctor. Good Luck!