Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So anxious! Waiting for Insurance Approval

I'm so nervous yet excited at the same time!!! My doctor submitted my information to the insurance today and I can hardly wait for the approval. I have Federal BCBS Virginia. Does anyone know what the approval times can range from? My doctors office says it can be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

Hi Moni, I have Federal BCBS as well but mine is in Mississippi. Mine took a week. I gave them 5 days and then I called them and they gave me the approval over the phone before they sent it over to my surgeon's office. Good luck!!

Hi

I have Federal BCBS ( I am just getting started ) did you ladies have to do the 6 month diet??? If not what did you have to do before approval

Hi

I have Federal BCBS ( I am just getting started ) did you ladies have to do the 6 month diet??? If not what did you have to do before approval

Tiffany, I had to do the 3 month supervised diet and I did it with the nutritionist at my surgeon;s office. once that was finished, I started the pre-op diet. BCBS is very easy to get approval with, especially the federal. Good luck to you both, use the time to study and research. There is soo much to know.

Same here this wait seems longer than the 3 month supervised diet. My paperwork was submitted to the insurance last week

Thanks ladies so what exactly is the 3 months diet what does it consist of

I can use all the advice and support that is offered I am a newbie as you all can see

I have my 1st consultation Thursday

I went to a seminar over the weekend

I also been doing a little research for a year just reading feels great to actually talk to someone

Depending on your insurance requirements some people have to do 3 or 6 months of medically supervised diet. The diet is really up to your doctor, some doctors are a little more laxed than others.

Depending on your insurance requirements some people have to do 3 or 6 months of medically supervised diet. The diet is really up to your doctor, some doctors are a little more laxed than others.

Ok do you mind sharing yours

My dr wasn't really strict. I just had to log everything, I use myfitnesspal. He recommended I lose 2lbs a week but if I didn't lose that wouldn't delay surgery as long as I didn't gain. I lost 14lbs. The first month I didn't lose anything it was right around the holidays. This last month I lost 10

Sorry I forgot to add he put me on 1500 calorie diet and recommended not more than 30 carbs per meal. I averaged about 1200 calories a day

Tiffany, my nutritionist put me on a high Protein low carb diet. I drank Protein Shakes and then ate meat and veggies for supper. Mine was during the holiday period too so I didn't stick to it during Thanksgiving, Christmas and News Year. I did try but it was just too difficult. I would lose and gain over and over during that period. I was much better on the pre-op diet. They want you to lose weight prior to surgery to shrink your liver and then it also gives you a head start on your weight loss journey. Every doctor is different and they all have their own plan so just follow what ever they give you. The common denominator is that everyone will drink 64 oz of Water every day, you will take Vitamin supplements, and you will eat protein first. Other than that... everyone is a little different. Good luck.

Tiffany,

BCBS required that I do a 3 month diet. My doctor wasn't very strict at all though. I had a form from the insurance company that the doctor was required to fill out each month. I simply made a doctors appointment to get weighed once a month and the doctor would record my progress on the form. At the end of the 3rd month, I turned the forms into my weight loss center as part of my package to submit to the insurance company. I had actually gained 3 pounds:( It's not going to delay me being able to get the surgery though.