Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

was told to stop the prilosec by surgeon

I'll just have to see now that I stopped the prilosec for 2 days so far. The surgeon recommended that I stop taking them. I guess if my heartburn returns I'll have to continue taking them. what I'm also concerned about is that i've heard more than once that acid production can cause hunger. Does anybody experience increased appetite because of acid production?

My acid production was decreased tremendously after surgery. Only time I had an acid problem is laying down too soon after eating once or twice. Other than that, been off it for almost a year now & no issues. What I can tell you though, if it or anything else causes hunger, it will take very little food to satisfy your hunger. So I wouldn't worry. Good luck!

Oh wow! I didn’t know that acid caused the hunger pains. I will NEVER, EVER miss that pill again. I never had to take the Prilosec in the past but now as I understand it pertinent to take to help with the recovery of our brand new spankin’ pouch. How do you feel?

I am taking Omeprezole, which is prescription Prilosec. I was told I would need to take it for at least 12 months

I am taking Omeprezole, which is prescription Prilosec. I was told I would need to take it for at least 12 months

How are you holding up?

well so far so good no heartburn. I am happy that i dont have to wait an hour before i eat when taking prilosec. now I can eat whenever I want in the morning.

I did not receive any special instructions with the Omneprezole. I take it in the morning right before my Protein Shake (6 days a week ). I was originally on ranitidine

( prescription Zantac) but the Surgeon changed when I was taking large doses of medication weeks 2-6. I have had no problems with excess acid or acid reflux at all.

Well I am pleased to say that I don't feel any acid reflux. Whew. I am stll getting slight rumblings in the stomach but that's been going on since day one.

My stomach makes rumbling noises all the time but it is not hunger my assumption is that now with such a small tummy I can hear more clearly all the rumblings it makes. I found that acid mimics hunger so when I was taking an acid reducer I was fine. I haven't taken one now in many months and have no issues.

Well I am pleased to say that I don't feel any acid reflux. Whew. I am stll getting slight rumblings in the stomach but that's been going on since day one.

I have read posts where some say they will be on Prilosec the rest of their life, and others are not on it at all. Hmmm, interesting to see what our surgeon says next week. We feel no acid problem so hopefully it will be another pill to go by the wayside.

I’m on lansoprazole I take 2 a day because I smoke.

When you first come out they say 2 a day for 6 months then 1 a day but as I smoke I take 2 a day as directed by my doctor.

I normally take one right before I go to sleep and if I happen to have drunk a shake or eaten too close to falling asleep I will wake up choking on it its awful.

Yep, that's me too...

If I didn't take it, I would be drowning in it..

I smoke, too..

We're bad girls :(

I had read on here that acid could be the reason I had hunger pains so often so I called my doctor to ask for something to help. He said that is not true if I have hunger pains its because I am hungry not acid.

I had read on here that acid could be the reason I had hunger pains so often so I called my doctor to ask for something to help. He said that is not true if I have hunger pains its because I am hungry not acid.

That’s actually not true “hunger” pangs can be acid or because your thirsty or because your bored and it’s a habit to feel hunger when your bored to give you something to do.

Many reason “hunger” feelings come about not always because you need to eat.