Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insurance vs Mexico

<p>Hi Ally...</p> <p> </p> <p>I too am in FL and have access to many local docs thatt do WLS; however, my employer has an exclusion on WLS. I am working really hard right now in overtime to save enough $$$$ to be able to afford to go to Mexico by mid year. Keep me posted on your decision and I'll keep you posted on my $$$$ to goal and who knows, maybe we will end up going at the same time. </p> <p> </p>

Hi CiCi,

I'm going up to St Augustine tomorrow for my consult. I'm dreading the trip (almost three hours each way), but I look at it as a necessary evil. I need to find a surgeon and be done with this. I'm really hoping that the doc and I hit it off tomorrow. I totally respect skill and expertise, but at the end of the day, I need someone that is capable and willing to listen to my concerns and act on them. Sometimes that's hard to find.

I'm wishing you the best with your MX preparations. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Who knows, I could totally end up in MX this July.

Ally

Mexico is the way to go. To the person who is considering a private nurse. WASTE OF MONEY! if you are in need of a nurse, they should not discharge you in the first place. Seriously. I'm a bit of a baby and I survived just fine in Tijuana by myself before and after surgery. Walked a mile round trip to Walmart within 48 hours of having surgery. Also, a lot of stateside hospitals provide free bariatric support groups that meet monthly. The forums coupled with group should be more than enough support. Also, you tend to bond with other patients while you're there. I had my neighbors in and out of my room throughout my hospital stay. It was nice. Overall, I received great medical care and yes! Everyone wore gloves too. It's Mexico, not a third world country. You'll be just fine! Chin up and go get sleeved! :D my total cost, including airfare was $4800.

Mexico is the way to go. To the person who is considering a private nurse. WASTE OF MONEY! if you are in need of a nurse, they should not discharge you in the first place. Seriously. I'm a bit of a baby and I survived just fine in Tijuana by myself before and after surgery. Walked a mile round trip to Walmart within 48 hours of having surgery. Also, a lot of stateside hospitals provide free bariatric support groups that meet monthly. The forums coupled with group should be more than enough support. Also, you tend to bond with other patients while you're there. I had my neighbors in and out of my room throughout my hospital stay. It was nice. Overall, I received great medical care and yes! Everyone wore gloves too. It's Mexico, not a third world country. You'll be just fine! Chin up and go get sleeved! :D my total cost, including airfare was $4800.

I disagree.... A hospital discharge is not indicative that the person no longer requires medical services or follow-up. It simply means that they no longer require the level of care required for an inpatient stay. This is one of the reasons that home health care has evolved into its current model. So yes, some people may require the services of a nurse (i.e. home health) after hospital discharge. It happens everyday and from a financial perspective, it is much more cost effective than an additional day in the hospital -- especially one that is not quoted/covered in the package price. So considering the availability of home health services as a factor when picking a coordinator is sound. For the most part, a majority of people can be discharged safely after a 1-2 day inpatient stay and I'm extremely encouraged by this.

The point of my post wasn't to debate the merits or efficacy of surgery in Mexico. It was to get a different perspective regarding insurance vs. MX. If I didn't have insurance and MX was the only route for the surgery then I would "chin up" as you mentioned and opt for the trip. However, I have insurance so my decision making process is a bit different. I'm concerned now that if I do require additional services (i.e. hernia repair, gallbladder removal, etc.) the cost of the trip to MX will end up equaling if not exceeding my original insurance projections of $6000.

I'm glad you had a great experience and I hope the same for everyone else. But this surgery (regardless of the location) should be thoughtfully considered. I want to make sure that I've performed my due diligence.

I do know that some doctors in Mexico will fix a hernia for free if it is discovered during the VSG, an elective gall bladder removal during your surgery runs about $500 for most surgeons. (Both of these surgeries should be covered by your insurance should you need them in the future, not all do.) That is something you would need to ask of each doctor when you are deciding on one.

In general my research showed me that the doctors in Mexico overall had less complications than those in Mexico, their patients had less pain. I would think that this is due to the experience that they have. Insurance vs Mexico is a choice that only you can make. Good luck.

I do know that some doctors in Mexico will fix a hernia for free if it is discovered during the VSG, an elective gall bladder removal during your surgery runs about $500 for most surgeons. (Both of these surgeries should be covered by your insurance should you need them in the future, not all do.) That is something you would need to ask of each doctor when you are deciding on one.

In general my research showed me that the doctors in Mexico overall had less complications than those in Mexico, their patients had less pain. I would think that this is due to the experience that they have. Insurance vs Mexico is a choice that only you can make. Good luck.

Uhm okay. I didn't have any questions about insurance coverage... I'm good in that respect. My post was to get different perspectives from people regarding the insurance vs. MX issue. All things being equal (quality of care, etc.), would you consider having surgery in MX as a cost saving measure. Consideration would have to be given for any extra fees charged by the MX surgeons for hernia repair or a Cholecystectomy as this reduces the potential cost savings. It really doesn't make sense to have the surgery in MX but then come back to the states for additional surgery.... It would be an all or nothing deal. There's no need to pay for surgery in MX then come back to the states and pay the MOOP I was trying to avoid for additional surgical procedures.

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post and was willing to provide their perspective and recovery information. I feel a lot more comfortable about my decision to move forward with the surgery and I'm encouraged by all of the success that you all are having.

It feels like I've been driving all day. I drove three hours away for a consult and then turned around and came back home....Whew! I like the doctor and I've heard great things about the facility. Based upon my past history of gallstones (they were actually noted during an OB Ultrasound two years ago) he recommended removal of my gallbladder at the time of the sleeve surgery. The rapid weight loss experienced with the sleeve would only aggravate my poor gallbladder even more post-surgery. There will be additional charges for the Cholecystectomy but I dount my responsibility would be much considering that I would've already met my MOOP after the sleeve.

So it looks like I will be remaining stateside.... at least for the sleeve. Once I reach my IBW (Ideal Body Weight) I'm definitely jetting off to MX for a total body lift.

Ally

Uhm okay. I didn't have any questions about insurance coverage... I'm good in that respect. My post was to get different perspectives from people regarding the insurance vs. MX issue. All things being equal (quality of care, etc.), would you consider having surgery in MX as a cost saving measure. Consideration would have to be given for any extra fees charged by the MX surgeons for hernia repair or a Cholecystectomy as this reduces the potential cost savings. It really doesn't make sense to have the surgery in MX but then come back to the states for additional surgery.... It would be an all or nothing deal. There's no need to pay for surgery in MX then come back to the states and pay the MOOP I was trying to avoid for additional surgical procedures.

Additional surgery may not be warranted regardless of the location of your surgery. There isn't a crystal ball to say that you will need your gallbladder removed in the future and I doubt insurance will pay for removal without there being evidence that its necessary.

There are plenty of people who make the decision to go to Mexico when they have insurance coverage for reasons as varied as financial, the wait being too long, they feel they will receive better care, more surgical experience, etc.

I'm glad you have come to a decision you are comfortable with and I hope you have a smooth surgery and recovery.

Additional surgery may not be warranted regardless of the location of your surgery. There isn't a crystal ball to say that you will need your gallbladder removed in the future and I doubt insurance will pay for removal without there being evidence that its necessary.

There are plenty of people who make the decision to go to Mexico when they have insurance coverage for reasons as varied as financial, the wait being too long, they feel they will receive better care, more surgical experience, etc.

I'm glad you have come to a decision you are comfortable with and I hope you have a smooth surgery and recovery.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't think you understand any of this, but that's okay.

I've been a nurse for over ten years so I've seen how the healthcare system here fails people. I spent over seven years in Managed Care so I have first hand knowledge of the insurance industry too. From what I've learned, the care will probably be better in Mexico because the providers and facilities are catering to tourist dollars... That's a lot different than most of the facilities we deal with here unfortunately.

I too, am a nurse. You are spot on. Living in AZ I have seen ironic border trends. Our seniors go to Mx for drugs ( maybe not now due to Medicare Part D) Mx come here for education.we go to Mx for dental work and elective surgeries. Mx come here for health care-any er treats. Shame when countries don't take care of their own.