Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Carbs? I'm almost 8 weeks post op

Hi all,

I'm about 8 weeks post op on this coming Monday, and I'm still somewhat unclear as to how many carbs that I should be eating in this phase. I saw the dietician a couple of weeks ago, and I forgot to ask her; so I went home and emailed this question to her.... Her response was as my caloric intake increases, so will my carbs. I understand that, but I would like to have numbers so that I will have something to guide me. So, I ask you all, how many carbs should I be consuming at this phase?

Thanks,

LaDonna

Hi all,

I'm about 8 weeks post op on this coming Monday, and I'm still somewhat unclear as to how many carbs that I should be eating in this phase. I saw the dietician a couple of weeks ago, and I forgot to ask her; so I went home and emailed this question to her.... Her response was as my caloric intake increases, so will my carbs. I understand that, but I would like to have numbers so that I will have something to guide me. So, I ask you all, how many carbs should I be consuming at this phase?

Thanks,

LaDonna

I don't know. I only count Protein. :-)

So Terri,

How do you know what you're consuming if you only count Proteins? Are you saying that you eat until you get enough Proteins? I'm somewhat confused. Please expain :)

Hi all,

Thanks,

LaDonna

I had googled about gastric bypass and found the following website: uchospitals.edu under guidelines for Roux-en-Y, Sleeve, etc

It is from 2011, but I asked my nutritionist before my surgery if it still applies. She stated it is still good reference. About carbs portion says no more than 15-30 carbs per serving. And to avoid products with sugar as the first three ingredients.

Thank you jlmckee. Are you saying 15-30 grams per meal, not for the entire day right?

I had googled about gastric bypass and found the following website: uchospitals.edu under guidelines for Roux-en-Y, Sleeve, etc
It is from 2011, but I asked my nutritionist before my surgery if it still applies. She stated it is still good reference. About carbs portion says no more than 15-30 carbs per serving. And to avoid products with sugar as the first three ingredients.

Yep, per serving of food or Protein Drink

I have no idea, I've heard some surgeons recommend 50g or less a day and some say 100g or less a day, also I've read what she just stated above as well before.

The dietician with my surgeon's office recommends less than 40 per day. 800 cals max, 80g Protein, 40g or less carbs. I try to stick to this and go with 25 or less, and usually none at all in the evening.

So Terri,

How do you know what you're consuming if you only count Proteins? Are you saying that you eat until you get enough Proteins? I'm somewhat confused. Please expain :)

I don't stress over anything except Protein. Yes, I only eat Protein rich foods and I eat till I hit my protein goals. I don't count carbs - eating foods higher in protein are naturally low carb - and I don't count calories. I do try to stay away from high fat foods but don't count fats. The only food I try to fit in that doesn't have protein are green vegetables. I also track my fluids. I'm 9 months out, I've lost consistently with no stalls until Christmas. I was stalled from Christmas until last week when I stated losing again. I think it was from lower activity due to severe cold and snowy weather. All my labs have been perfect to date.

I don't stress over anything except Protein. Yes, I only eat protein rich foods and I eat till I hit my protein goals. I don't count carbs - eating foods higher in protein are naturally low carb - and I don't count calories. I do try to stay away from high fat foods but don't count fats. The only food I try to fit in that doesn't have protein are green vegetables. I also track my fluids. I'm 9 months out, I've lost consistently with no stalls until Christmas. I was stalled from Christmas until last week when I stated losing again. I think it was from lower activity due to severe cold and snowy weather. All my labs have been perfect to date.

I've lost 107lbs and feel awesome! :-)

Ladonna -- are you on "on my fitness pal"? I log everything that I eat. I looked over my past week, and I have yet to go over 37 grams of carbs in a day, and many days I am under 30. I personally know that carbs are my trigger. Also, it's hard enough to get my Protein goals in without filling my pouch up with carbs!

If you are on MyFitnessPal, feel free to add me as a friend (noelscat) -- my food diary is open -- and maybe we can encourage each other. :-)

Hi Kathryn,

DId you have your surgery on 12/31? I had mine on 12/30 and I'm sure that I could be doing more. What type of exercise do you do? I feel as if you have to be almost a body builder in order to lose weight. I was told that if you just walked that you would lose (especially if you were sedentary like I was). I do more than just walk though. I just need to be consistent. How are you not getting 37 carbs in. I'm going to your diary right now to see what you eat. Maybe you could take a look at mine to see maybe what I can change. I welcome any constructive criticism. I have not had this surgery for nothing. I will win! My mother had the surgery in Oct 2012 and she started at a size 18W and is now between a 4-6. She hates exercise, but she and my father would walk alot. What am I doing wrong?

My dietician told me to increase my carbs as I increase my caloric intake. I wanted to stay at 800 and she said no. She said that by 3 months postop, I need to increase to 1000 calories, and by 6 months I should increase to 1200 calories per day. I would think that one should increase so that by the time you level out, your body will be okay with taking in 1200 calories and you will not gain because you stayed at 800 for so long and then when you finally increase, you start to gain weight. Just pulling from my nursing knowledge.

I would love to know what your dietician said to do because mine was not the best.

Hi Kathryn,

DId you have your surgery on 12/31? I had mine on 12/30 and I'm sure that I could be doing more. What type of exercise do you do? I feel as if you have to be almost a body builder in order to lose weight. I was told that if you just walked that you would lose (especially if you were sedentary like I was). I do more than just walk though. I just need to be consistent.

I work on my feet -- I teach at the university here. I am TERRIBLE about exercise -- I really hate sweating and being hot. I bought a wii U fitness monitor that I wear every day. I am supposed to try to work to 10,000 steps per day. I was truly so stupid that I thought I was coming somewhere near that teaching. What a joke!! I average 4,500 steps. That's pretty far from that 10,000 goal. I went back to work at about 2 weeks post-op, so I was pretty tired just working at first. Recently I have been making myself walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day. I am a sedentary woman, too!

How are you not getting 37 carbs in. I'm going to your diary right now to see what you eat. Maybe you could take a look at mine to see maybe what I can change. I welcome any constructive criticism. I have not had this surgery for nothing. I will win! My mother had the surgery in Oct 2012 and she started at a size 18W and is now between a 4-6. She hates exercise, but she and my father would walk alot. What am I doing wrong?

First, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. You are doing great! You have a lot less to lose. The fatter you are when you start the faster the weight comes off. I have had a one week stall. It's driving me crazy. My carb count is purposefully low -- one of my goals was to "cure" my diabetes (remission, really) -- and I know that carbs for me are a death knell. I am also a a binger. Carbs are my trigger. BTW, you have to change your settings on MyFitnessPal so that "friends" can see your food log, if you want me to see it. :-)

My dietician told me to increase my carbs as I increase my caloric intake. I wanted to stay at 800 and she said no. She said that by 3 months postop, I need to increase to 1000 calories, and by 6 months I should increase to 1200 calories per day. I would think that one should increase so that by the time you level out, your body will be okay with taking in 1200 calories and you will not gain because you stayed at 800 for so long and then when you finally increase, you start to gain weight. Just pulling from my nursing knowledge.

I would love to know what your dietician said to do because mine was not the best.

My dietician's recommendations were a little different. She advised me to aim for 800 calories by 6 months out. However, she said she is less concerned with calories and more concerned with Protein and carbs. She said that some days I may come close to 800 and other times around 500 -- what matters most is that the Protein doesn't fall below 65. She recommends that carbs not go over 65 -- but that for some people, like me, less is better. She doesn't encourage moving to 1200 calories until close to maintenance. It's funny how they are all different. Sometimes I don't think they know what the heck they are talking about!

Hi Kathryn,

DId you have your surgery on 12/31? I had mine on 12/30 and I'm sure that I could be doing more. What type of exercise do you do? I feel as if you have to be almost a body builder in order to lose weight. I was told that if you just walked that you would lose (especially if you were sedentary like I was). I do more than just walk though. I just need to be consistent.

I work on my feet -- I teach at the university here. I am TERRIBLE about exercise -- I really hate sweating and being hot. I bought a wii U fitness monitor that I wear every day. I am supposed to try to work to 10,000 steps per day. I was truly so stupid that I thought I was coming somewhere near that teaching. What a joke!! I average 4,500 steps. That's pretty far from that 10,000 goal. I went back to work at about 2 weeks post-op, so I was pretty tired just working at first. Recently I have been making myself walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day. I am a sedentary woman, too!

How are you not getting 37 carbs in. I'm going to your diary right now to see what you eat. Maybe you could take a look at mine to see maybe what I can change. I welcome any constructive criticism. I have not had this surgery for nothing. I will win! My mother had the surgery in Oct 2012 and she started at a size 18W and is now between a 4-6. She hates exercise, but she and my father would walk alot. What am I doing wrong?

First, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. You are doing great! You have a lot less to lose. The fatter you are when you start the faster the weight comes off. I have had a one week stall. It's driving me crazy. My carb count is purposefully low -- one of my goals was to "cure" my diabetes (remission, really) -- and I know that carbs for me are a death knell. I am also a a binger. Carbs are my trigger. BTW, you have to change your settings on MyFitnessPal so that "friends" can see your food log, if you want me to see it. :-)

My dietician's recommendations were a little different. She advised me to aim for 800 calories by 6 months out. However, she said she is less concerned with calories and more concerned with Protein and carbs. She said that some days I may come close to 800 and other times around 500 -- what matters most is that the Protein doesn't fall below 65. She recommends that carbs not go over 65 -- but that for some people, like me, less is better. She doesn't encourage moving to 1200 calories until close to maintenance. It's funny how they are all different. Sometimes I don't think they know what the heck they are talking about!

I changed my settings so that you can take a look if and when you have a chance. After chatting with you, I'm starting to feel a little more confident. Thanks for your support. I will keep in touch with you. Take care and thanks again.

Keep in mind, carbs also includes sugars and Fiber. Of course you want less sugar, but you want more fiber. Higher carbs is OK if it includes a good amount of fiber. If it's mostly empty carbs and sugar, not so much lol