Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thyroid issues

No hyperthyroid but hyperparathyroidism. Just had surgery.

Thanks for this thread. I've had hypothyroidism for longer than 30 years. During that time, my Rx has moved upward slowly from 100 mcg to 112 mcg and now to 112 / 125 mcg (3 and 4 days a week). In other words, my condition and Rx have been pretty stable.

But per the changes I've read about in this thread, I'll request blood tests from my PCP every 3 months during the first year after VSG to detect any unusual changes.

To OP and all contributors, good thread.

Hi. This is my first post on this group. I was wondering if anyone has developed HYPERthyroid issues POST-surgery? I am 3 months out. Very early after surgery, in routine blood tests, it was discovered. Pre-surgery, thyroid was normal. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with this problem and what was done about it, if anything. I am told that it is helping me lose weight faster (thyroid overworking) but this is really not desirable. Thx.

Hi there, I had bypass surgery on May 7th, 2014. Went to my women visit and bloodwork showed I also have hyperthyroidism. I have never had a thyroid problem & my doc also said it's not related. I have not gone to endocrinologist yet, cause I just found out today. Can you tell me what happened to you after this post? Thank you!

Hi. You asked what has happened in the interrum. It was found that I also have multi-goiter toxic nodes and I am not absorbing iodine on one side of the thyroid. Apparently the dominant side is suppressing the iodine absorption on the "weak" side. Anyway, the dr. hasn't treated me yet. She wants to see what happens to the goiter (not anything visible on the outside and I don't even feel it) after 3 months. I'll have an ultrasound in 10 days. In the meantime, I did another series of blood tests. Post-op now 8 months and down nearly 100 lbs. Blood work was great except that I'm still hyperthyroid. I was told that if the thyroid nodule has grown, I'll probably have to have surgery to remove it.

Good luck on yours.

Hi. This is my first post on this group. I was wondering if anyone has developed HYPERthyroid issues POST-surgery? I am 3 months out. Very early after surgery, in routine blood tests, it was discovered. Pre-surgery, thyroid was normal. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone with this problem and what was done about it, if anything. I am told that it is helping me lose weight faster (thyroid overworking) but this is really not desirable. Thx.

Hi there, I had bypass surgery on May 7th, 2014. Went to my women visit and bloodwork showed I also have hyperthyroidism. I have never had a thyroid problem & my doc also said it's not related. I have not gone to endocrinologist yet, cause I just found out today. Can you tell me what happened to you after this post? Thank you!

Hi. You asked what has happened in the interrum. It was found that I also have multi-goiter toxic nodes and I am not absorbing iodine on one side of the thyroid. Apparently the dominant side is suppressing the iodine absorption on the "weak" side. Anyway, the dr. hasn't treated me yet. She wants to see what happens to the goiter (not anything visible on the outside and I don't even feel it) after 3 months. I'll have an ultrasound in 10 days. In the meantime, I did another series of blood tests. Post-op now 8 months and down nearly 100 lbs. Blood work was great except that I'm still hyperthyroid. I was told that if the thyroid nodule has grown, I'll probably have to have surgery to remove it.

Good luck on yours.

Thank you for the update. So strange. I am sad you are having to go through all this and the uncertainty of it all. I see an endocrinologist next week for the first time since finding out I have hyperthyroidism. I have been dizzy since about 3 weeks out and I read this is a side affect. Anyways, not losing at rapid pace though. Keep me updated on your next visit. Hugs

Over-Active Thyroid after RNY

I am 6 months post-op and was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had no issues prior to surgery either. I too wonder if this is related to the surgery but my surgeon and endocrinologist say it isn't. I'm not convinced. I go in next week to do a scan...I have to swallow a pill, wait three hours and then get scanned. I have to come in the following day and repeat the scan.

To date I've lost 120lbs. (35 pre and 85 post surgery). I've experienced significant hair-loss which I thought was due to the surgery, but now it may be the thyroid stuff too.

I am interested in knowing more about this too, thanks for the post.

Over-Active Thyroid after RNY I am 6 months post-op and was recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had no issues prior to surgery either. I too wonder if this is related to the surgery but my surgeon and endocrinologist say it isn't. I'm not convinced. I go in next week to do a scan...I have to swallow a pill, wait three hours and then get scanned. I have to come in the following day and repeat the scan. To date I've lost 120lbs. (35 pre and 85 post surgery). I've experienced significant hair-loss which I thought was due to the surgery, but now it may be the thyroid stuff too. I am interested in knowing more about this too, thanks for the post.

It's like you are telling my story! That's exactly what happened to me, but I was hypothyroid pre-op. I had the same scan, which was positive, and met with the endocrinologist who was ready to put me on medications to treat. I asked to get another blood draw prior to starting medication. Sure enough, the pendulum had swung the other way, and I was pretty hypothyroid.

I had lap band surgery in Nov of 2005. Diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2009. No idea if it was related to wls or not, but it has been a reeeeally tough experience. Not fun at all. I currently take methimazole for my thyroid and atenolol for my heart rate. I was one of the rare ones who actually gained weight from an over active thyroid (due to an increase in hunger) rather than lose weight.

FYI.. My Encronologist put me on Synthyroid & said not to take the generic form, cause it doesn't work as well. Also, take on empty stomach and don't eat for an hour. I started feeling better rather quickly. The dizziness I was experiencing & tiredness is gone. I have been on for 1 month. Very important to be rechecked after 3 mos just incase the pendulum swings the opposite way. You don't want to gain weight.

Edited by tebowfan