Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year ago today I had my vertical gastric sleeve. I was 59, diabetic, sleep apnea, asthma, etc and etc. I am 5'3" tall, pre-op weight 205" (this was not my highest, I had lost 21 pounds in 3 years). I now weigh 123 pounds and wear size 4/6 clothes. I wish I could say my diabetes is gone but I knew going in that I would still have diabetes after my weight loss. My diabetes is much better controlled and I still check my glucose levels 3 - 4 times daily. I had knee surgery two years ago and was told I needed total knee replacement. I may at some point in time due to damage to my knee but I know I have a reprieve, even if temporary.

I had a sleep study completed in December 2013 and the sleep apnea is gone. My asthma attacks have been reduced except when exposed to triggers. Thankfully, the severe attacks have been greatly reduced. My blood tests are much improved and if I had to go back one year, I would have the surgery done knowing what I know now.

Dr DePeri, in Jacksonville, FL is my surgeon. He is excellent and the staff of Advanced Memorial Surgery are great. The Bariatric staff of Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville have an excellent staff, Meghan, Jarrod (both have had Bariatric surgery), the educational program is the best. It is an exceptional program and the support does not end when surgery is complete and you are home. I believe wholeheartedly that the Bariatric Program at Memorial Hospital, my surgeon and his staff as well as the support and encouragement of my husband helped me succeed.

I did not share my surgery with everyone. This is a personal choice of mine and I would do the same again.

If you have doubts, ups and downs and those dreaded stalls, hang on you will reach your goal. Do not give up. I lost over 80 pounds, not as much as many but it was what I needed to lose. My health is greatly improved and I am so thankful. I am taking a yoga class.

Tomorrow I am going to have pictures done. I have always been the one behind the camera, now I do not mind having my picture taken. I will share the pictures as soon as I have them.

I like the way I eat since surgery. I eat 5 to 6 times daily, maintain my Protein and keep my carbohydrates at a reduced level. My husband and I do not eat out a lot but when we do, I am a "cheap" date! Most places we eat allow us to share a meal. If not, I always have leftovers to take home for later.

Thank you Bariatric Pal for the opportunity to share with others going through similar situations.

I have not posted much during my journey but if anyone has any questions, or you need an encouraging word during your journey, feel free to contact me.

I will be 61 in a few months and I am looking forward to celebrating!

Thanks for posting your encouraging success surgery.. U and I ad the same stats as pre surgery . Hopefully I will post my victory as well. I am also encouraged that u are maintaining your weight. That was the biggest reason I had the surgery. It is a tool to help u lose as well as maintain your weight,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It makes me very hopeful for the future.

this post is really encouraging.I am 59 and had my surgery 4 weeks back. My knees are hurting too much as no medicines allowed...cant walk much...I am loosing weight .

I hope I can be as successful as you!!