Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Op on Monday ......

I'm 88kg & 37yrs old have 3 children under age of 10. Divorced, single, working mam.

How much weight will I loose?

Will I be ok alone at home with children straight after?

I'm taking a week timed owed at work and telling no one, will they guess?

Is it worth the money?

Is it selfish spending all that on me?

Will it give me the new life I am hoping for?

Op on Monday ......

I'm 88kg & 37yrs old have 3 children under age of 10. Divorced, single, working mam.

How much weight will I loose? what procedure are you having? If you have sleeve it is 60-65% percent of your excess weight (statistically)

Will I be ok alone at home with children straight after? NO... I have a 3 year old I needed a lot of help for 3 weeks at least. Not sure with band.

I'm taking a week timed owed at work and telling no one, will they guess? Hard to answer... depends on how insightful your coworkers are.

Is it worth the money? I did not have to pay but I would have in a heartbeat.

Is it selfish spending all that on me? No... You have to be healthy for your children. I am a single mom too. I was 40 when I had my only child.

Will it give me the new life I am hoping for? It isn't just about losing weight.... it is about getting healthy emotionally and physically and only you know what else you have to do to get to that place where you will be happy with your life. We all have different struggles. Being overweight is definitely a huge (no pun intended) barrier to me feeling happy about my life. I can not tell you what to do all I can tell you is my own experience. I am very glad I made this choice.

This forum is great... you won't necessarily 'click' with everyone on here but such is life. It is a GREAT resource. Any questions you have shoot away. For the most part the ppl here are so encouraging and inspiring!!!

I had my sleeve Feb 3 so I am by no means an expert but I am freshly post op so my memory of what is soon to come for you has not faded. Try not to worry so much. I am essentially a single mom too and definitely the main bread winner so I was really starting to worry if something went wrong but every time I began to have negative thoughts I remembered how many ppl with children (single and married) have done this and done well. Do your research, ask a lot of questions, read over your post op instructions, know how to advance your diet, have realistic expectations and get excited for this radical transformation.

Let me start by saying, it won't give you the life you hope for- it will give you the life you WORK for.

For me, it was 100% worth it, I have zero regrets.

If you're an outpatient, I'd suggest someone stay with you for the first 24 hours. Just because if you were to have a complication, I wouldn't want young children having to be the ones who deal with it (example: death--- yeah, I know that's harsh, just making a point).

Will people guess? Probably so. If you drop that much weight that quickly, people are going talk. But it still your business, not theirs. You choose what you want people to hear from you.

Edited by Mrs.RRn

Yeah it's really exciting. My sister had a lot if pain in 1st 24 hrs due to neglect from nursing team. But I remain positive. I've had 3 c sections and cared for new Borns straight after so how much worse can it be now?

U look really great on yr pic. Loosing weight will boost my self esteem and I need that. My ex was abusive and continues to bully and harass me, this is a huge step in regaining control for me.

X

I too am a mother. I have 4 children, ranging from 10-2. I had the same thoughts about being selfish, but I justified by telling myself I had to be healthy for my kids so that I could run and play with them, be there for them for the long term. I didn't want them to be embarrassed of having a big mother. Here I am 8 months post-op, 89 pounds down, wearing a size 8/10 (American sizes) and I now realize that, although all those reasons were justifiable, doing it for MYSELF was justifiable too. I am happier, more confident, physically able to do so many more things, and I am no longer spiraling down into those pity party's about being fat. I realized that i was worth it, and in realizing my self worth, my kids benefited a greater quality of life because they had a mother that was mentally and emotionally stable. It is WORTH every penny!

Well congrats on your decesion to do this!! Be selfish and do what it takes to be healthy and happy for you!!

I am 5 wks out I would say get some help with the kiddo's for the first few days no matter what you can always tell you help hey I got this after the fact and your feeling great. I spent 2 days in the hospital and had friends watching my lil girl. Then Hubby watched her for a few more days. My daughter was my biggest cheerleader when it came to walking around the house, but the pain was substaintal and I wasnt my self on the pain killers so I needed the extra help that first week. IN fact friends were calling and asking if they could bring meals over to my family. Since I only told 3 people I decided not to have meals brought over.