Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death now and having doubts...

Hello bandsters. I've been reading and posting on here for several weeks now. Been VERY excited about getting my band and been working very diligently with the doc and insurance company to hopefully have my band by mid-May...

OK...Why am I so scared now? Well, recently I've been reading where some folks on here have been suffering for months, perhaps even years, with PB's and not losing weight because of being too tight due to stress and such. Folks that haven't been able to comply with the band guidelines for various reasons.

Well, now I am scared about getting the band. How can I expect to overcome my food obsessions and not manipulate the band and reach a healthy weight? I am scared that I will fall into the catagory of the one who tries to manipulate the band. I'm afraid that my acid reflux will get worse instead of better after the band (and I already throw up from time to time due to bad reflux).

I don't want to go through all of this only to lose 30 pounds and stall for months, even years because I won't comply or because I can't get the right restriction or both!

I know that only I can decide if I am going to make the band work or not. It just seems that I see so many people that have had the band for quite a long stretch and can't seem to make it to a healthy weight. If I'm going to stay big any way...why have surgery? Or maybe RNY is a better way to go because there is no way around losing a good chunk of weight with the re-routing of the intestines.

I'm sorry to be so negative. Maybe it's just a bad day for me. I know that the band is a tool and I must do the work. I'm just so afraid of falling into the catagory of the one who won't make it work *sigh*

Thanks for letting me ramble. Any insight would be welcomed.

Hi.. I know how you feel. I had surgery 4 weeks ago and am doing very well. Have lost 28 lbs since my worst weight and I keep losing am down another pound this morning (have to change my ticker).

I only started reading he boards after the surgery but if I had before I would feel like you do. I think you have to remember that many who are here are lookign for answers to problems and that the majority have none. I have had none of the problems you talk about and I am so determined to make this work I do everything I have been told. Follow everything to the letter and I will not fail. Dont worry about it but be aware that the band is only a tool and that you have to work with it and be motivated. It is easy though since it changes how you feel about the food.< /span>

Try not to read about all the big problems, I am doing fine but get the same reaction you do when I see some of them and it scares me. I am very happy that I had it done, I am already fitting into clothes that I bought but have never been able to fit into. Last night I had what seemd like heartburn like soemthign was stuck and maybe I ate something wrong but I am fine now and the other pound down made me feel good. Convince yourself that you will not fail and don't read the bad parts unless you have problems later.

I am older than you are so look at this as my last chance, I was not always overweight only the last 15 or so years and I want to be my old self. Think positive and feel good about your decision.. I feel I am rambling and repeating myself but I can feel what you are feeling.

I am no longer hungry, get satisfied with the tiny portions and don't crave candy and diet coke, it just doesn't bother me to even look at others eating it.. I may be back if I think of something else. Feel free to send me email if you want.. Lise

People often say that the band is just a tool and that you still have to do the work. That is true to a degree, but in my experience it is also true that the band itself does part of the work for you. And that part often makes all the difference.

Many people find that when they have the band they don't have the same type of cravings, and that their food preferences change, and that even when they "slip up" they still can't do that much harm because they can't eat that much.

Think of it this way, let's say you are a compulsive speeder in your car and you have twelve tickets and they are about to take away your driver's license. Now imagine that you have a way to put major speed bumps in the road every 50 feet. Now ask yourself, can you still speed? Is it possible that you might get another ticket? Well, yes, it is still "possible" to speed, and you still "might" get another ticket, but it is much, much less likely. Going too fast over speed bumps is hard to do. It is physically painful. It's just much less likely to speed when there is a speed bump in every direction wherever you go.

Now, admitedly, there are some people who are so determined to speed that that find a way to do it even with the speed bumps. But they are rare. For most people, even if they could not control their speeding before, they find that the speed bumps provide enough of an obstacle so that they can do it now.

Anyway, you get the point. The band is like that. In a sense it's "just a tool." But it is a tool that really helps.

Remember this: Everyone here -- EVERYONE -- had trouble controlling food. Yet the band works for most of us. Just because you are a person who has trouble controlling food now, this does not mean that later you are likely to join the ranks of those few who find a way to defeat the band.

And one last point. Almost all of us, including me, had the same doubts you are having now, and for the same reason. So that part, too, is quite normal.

I agree with you.. the tool really does help.. I am not hungry but yes if I wanted to sabotage it I could just eat small portions of chocolate, however I don't feel like it because of the band. It is great

It is a very helpful tool but like you say people who want to speed will always find a way... nice analogy...

People often say that the band is just a tool and that you still have to do the work. That is true to a degree, but in my experience it is also true that the band itself does part of the work for you. And that part often makes all the difference.

Think of it this way, let's say you are a compulsive speeder in your car and you have twelve tickets and they are about to take away your driver's license. Now imagine that you have a way to put major speed bumps in the road every 50 feet. Now ask yourself, can you still speed? Is it possible that you might get another ticket? Well, yes, it is still "possible" to speed, and you still "might" get another ticket, but it is much, much less likely. Going too fast over speed bumps is hard to do. It is physically painful. It's just much less likely to speed when there is a speed bump in every direction wherever you go.

Remember this: Everyone here -- EVERYONE -- had trouble controlling food. Yet the band works for most of us. Just because you are a person who has trouble controlling food now, this does not mean that later you are likely to join the ranks of those few who find a way to defeat the band.

quote]

Mark this is an awesome post. Well spoken!

I would just add that if I had been successful on my own using other resources, I wouldn't be 365 pounds!

Thank you all SO much!!! Thank you for sharing your experiences, analogies, and encouragement. You really REALLY helped me and I grately appreciate it.

Best of luck to you and I am sure you will do well when making this decision. If it is the right thing you will know it.

You will do fine if you follow your doctors orders. Listen to your body. You will know when it is time for a fill. If you aren't losing weight, are too hungry, or eating too much it is time. Good luck to you!