Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hopeful candidate

Recently I have been researching WLS. I am 5'2'', 196lbs and have a BMI of 36, I am pre-diabetic, and have the possibility of developing nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, as I already have been diagnosed with a fatty liver. I dont suffer from hypertension, or sleep apnea, or have full blown diabetes. I have tried many weight loss plans like Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers. During a two year span I paid two personal trainers, a massage therapist, and an acupuncturist, to help me lose weight, while I also ate all the right things...I only lost about 15 - 20 lbs and kept it off for a few months. That got really expensive, and after I got married, I gained all the weight back plus more. My problem is I love food! I can eat and eat and make a happy plate. Its hard to turn down food and its hard to not give into temptation. I also am a truck driver, and so I dont get to exercise a whole lot. I am scared of developing type 2 diabetes and other obesity related diseases, and I feel like in order to meet the requirements for gastric sleeve surgery I have to make myself more unhealthy before I can even qualify which scares me, because I would rather prevent it rather then try to recover from it.

Has anyone here been in this situation or know what I could do. Im exploring my options and for me I feel like getting the sleeve would finally force me in a healthier direction, and help me become a better more fit person. I dont want to gain any more weight because it is really starting to affect my life and how I see myself. My husband fully supports my decision, but i have other family that still thinks that if I just eat right and exercise more I can accomplish losing enough to reach my goal weight of 125, but what they dont understand is how hard it is when I feel like eating for me is something I physiologically cant control. They say just eat until you are full, well by the time im full the plate is almost empty and if it taste really good i dont want to leave any behind so i finish everything. I will eat until im bursting at the seems sometimes and then i feel so guilty.

I watch all these shows like biggest loser and see those plans as unattainable for me because for one, I am a truck driver, I live and eat on the road, exercise is hard to come by and I dont have a lot of time. I can make healthy choices on the road but that leaves me starving and then getting Snacks that are not so healthy to fill the hole.

So at this point I dont know what to do. Any advise from anyone please!

Hopeful. I feel the same way as you.... I just begining the process and everyday I question whether I'm actually gonna have the surgery. From my research and interview of people who have gone thru it, I believe it is an excellent tool. I keep thinking I can do it on my own then remember the times I've lost 60, 70 and 100 but bounce back up within a year. Keep reading and learning then make a decision you feel good about. Good luck

I would ask what hole are you trying to fill? I am a food addict for sure and was eating out of control since the age of 24 so I was 265 when I went to have surgery. I think I am right around 220 right now and am about 3 months post op. I don't keep a scale. The food addiction was strong for me and its what you describe as I eat and eat and filling a hole. Right. The tough part of this is that surgery breaks that cycle-you cannot eat like that anymore. Your body physically will not let you. So there is also a food deprivation feeling that never really goes away since you cannot eat seconds or even finish your firsts... I think you can talk to a dr about qualifying-I was not at a bmi of 40, which I was told was the qualifying rate, but I was at 38 but also had asthma and also elevated BP. Its come down and you might be able to make a case based on diabetes and the liver issue-those are very serious. Just make sure of a few things-go to a couple different surgeons, ask about out of pocket costs. Ask about any other fees-make sure to ask for a statement in writing and also ask your insurer about what is covered with each DR before deciding on a dr. Have a conversation with your family-you will need them to help you esp after surgery. Make sure you are well set, you will miss eating. You will miss and mentally crave certain foods. I felt like this was my withdrawal stage..like 3 weeks post op I would see a taqueria and I would be thinking about burritos for like days....;) for real!!! Good luck and make sure.to ask questions and make sure you are ready.