Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started Protein Shakes at least a month + before my surgery per my doctor, to get use to. However now after surgery (2 weeks tomorrow) I'm finding it impossible to maintain the Protein shakes. Just the taste of them, make me physically want to vomit. When I can barley stomach it, it seems it also passes right through me. Leaving my stomach upset, even plain Water is adding the the upset stomach. I know I have to get my protein shakes in (80-100g) but I'm finding it will become impossible. I've tried different shake recipies, and books to mix up the tastes. (adding sugar-free pudding mix, and sugar free flavor sweeters). Last week, I had had enough with all the sweet. I then started a natural-flavor protein with chicken broth, and now its added to my If-I-Have-One-More-I'm-Going-To-Puke regiment. Any suggestions? Tomorrow I can start adding in soft-texture foods (2tbs or 1/4th cup) but still incoporating at least 2 protein shakes.

Thanks so much!

After surgery my stomach really did not like whey Protein. I had to switch to an egg white protein I buy one by Jay Robb in vanilla and it's really tasty I like it most because it's not real thick but it still gives you all the protein that you need give it a try and comes in chocolate and strawberry too but I've only had the vanilla. Hope this helps

It would help to know what you've tried and don't like. I'm not as found of the Protein I was drinking before surgery. But I can drink powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury strawberry sorbet mixed with Water with a packet of crystal light pomegranate/cherry flavor. I also like Nectar's Lemon Tea with a crystal light packet of mango peach tea added. And the Unjury chicken flavor mixed with broth has been wonderful, even though I'm not big on broths!

I didn’t have that problem but what I had before and after sounds the same.

I had bad IBS before and I am lactose intolerant.

With the ibs it got to the point where it felt like the second I ate 1 forkful of food it was rushing through me and out.

Started with stomach rumbles pangs gurgles then I would feel cramping pains this is the intestines contracting to pass the food through at a extremely rapid rate and well out the other end in pretty much Water form every time.

Would make me feel sick like I wanted to puke because of all the cramping going on and say I ate about 6 forkfuls of food it would do all this ibs reactions for 2-3 hours after a VERY lengthy time considering what little I ate.

If I ate a big massive meal you’re talking 4-6 hours.

Add in the lactose intolerance if I had anything dairy add in more cramping and pain.

Fun fact never knew about the lactose intolerance as I never had that much even in a week to put 2 and 2 together so my pre op diet of all milk had me in so much pain after 4 days I was about to go to hospital with what we thought was my appendix when I called the bariatric department and they told me stop immediately that sounds exactly like lactose intolerance!

After surgery you can be lactose intolerant for a few months it’s pretty common so this might be your problem you can try lactose free alternatives like soy or what I use alpro hazelnut milk its made from hazelnuts not rice soy etc

Also our taste buds change after the op mine went super sweet every single Protein Powder I sampled before was disgusting to me after so I had to start again and found 1 I like not one brand ONE flavour from a brand lol

So for the past 20 months I have had the exact same tasting shake few times a day every day.

I did buy sugar free flavoured syrups to change up the taste at the start but I settled on hazel nut milk that I use with a PhD chocolate orange flavoured powder.< /p>

I gave away about $200 worth of powder and ready to drink Protein Shakes because they tasted gross after the op.

Lastly you could be reacting to the type of Protein in the powder so maybe try different types.

Having something every day your not very tolerant of is far different to tasting it a few days here and there before had think me with dairy years I just put it down to my ibs as I didn’t consume enough for it to enter my mind.

Another fun fact the op “cured” my ibs a nice little side effect they wasn’t sure what would happen if I would appear to have like a bypass even though it’s a sleeve because of how bad it was before but not totally gone now no idea why but it works for me!

Only change on thing at a time to know for sure so if your testing lactose intolerance cut out all dairy sugars from your diet for about 4 days see how it goes if its still happen then change something else like the type of protein your consuming etc

If you change everything right away you wont know what t is as your changing more than one factor.

Good luck!

I switched from whey to hemp and pea Protein, helped a lot. Nutiva and Amazing Meal or Amazing Grass.

I also drink plain old milk. Higher carbs than I would like, but I can get it down easily. Drink it hot or cold.

This is just the phase you are in. I felt the same way like IF I HAVE to drink one more of these....grrrr.....hahaha. I understand what you mean by the sweet. Here are some things I did to help this: Coco Shake....coconut Water, nonfat greek yog, crushed pineapple, ripe banana, ice vanilla whey Protein. Blend well. Its not as sweet, it is still a Protein Shake sorry. The other shake I like and still drink but only a couple days a week is Muscle milk light. It pretends to be choco milk and they are $30 a case at costco. The other think I did to kill the sweety/sugar crap feeling was I would get fresh real natural lemonade and water it down and sip on it. Same with light cranberry or even regular cran. Just make sure its juice and not sugar water with grape juice which is what cheap stuff is full of. I wish you the best, you are in one of the hardest stages I think. Keep going, you will be able to eat much more variety in a few months. I have lost about 40 lbs and I am about 3 months post op. I hope to lose more by end of March. We will see!!! It is.worth it, it feels long but it goes pretty fast. Congrats on being on soft. I ate a lot of creamed spinach in that zone. Oh and I loved some polenta with marina and ricotta. Roasted sweet pot for dinner was like heaven. Good luck.

I don't think dairy is a factor here, I've been using almond milk with everything, since its healthier and I'm not a fan of milk. The Protein I have been using is all Whey Protein, because I like the taste isnt as strong. the chocolate is a Whey & Soy substance. I went a day early and had a strong cheese, which helped, and I ended up eating the whole stick (not the 2 oz Im suppose to) cause it tasted so good, I ended up cramping and using the restroom for relief. However, it enabled me to drink some more protein slowly, not sure how long that will last.

I've also tried muscle milk, and I just can not stand the taste what so ever. I think tomorrow Im going to try a tuna-to-go container, they're pretty good and the entire package is 28g of protein, not sure I will eat it all, but at least its a step closer with Protein.

I want to try some of these other suggestions that you all had mentioned. the only thing with Unjury is I ordered some last week (chicken noodle) cause its not available in any stores. and I would prefer something now. In-fact, I got an email the next day that due to wether conditions my package is stuck in another state. unable to make it to me on arrival date.

thanks for all the input and support everyone!