Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whining about dairy intolerance and general trouble after eating/drinking protein.

Hi, all. I am almost 6 weeks out from surgery. My surgeon said I was doing fine at my last appt but I do not feel fine. As soon as I started full liquids, I started having problems. I would take a sip of my Protein Shake and usually throw it up. If I managed to keep it down, I was in for about an hour of nauseau, pain, & cramps followed by diarrhea. Popsicles did not give me any trouble and I finally realized all the Protein shakes had milk or whey in them and my new sleeve had decided I wouldn't be having any more dairy - a big disappointment for me as I have CASES of whey based Protein Shakes I can't drink and had been eating greek yogurt daily pre-surgery.

I lost about 30 lbs in the first 3 weeks and was miserable. I had to stop focusing on getting in protein and just focus on staying hydrated.

I bought soy based shake powder but I have trouble with it as it goes down gritty and heavy and my stomach objects to it. Most shake recipes I've found online are sickly sweet to me as I am also having trouble with artificial scents, flavors and sweeteners. They all smell and taste like cleaning chemicals to me now. I about collapsed walking by a scented candle shop in the mall. I was on a really good chewable Vitamin from Bariatric Advantage and post-surgery I haven't been able to keep it down. I am trying to use liquid Centrum but that won't always GO down. My throat just closes off and a I gag on it. No more crystal light or propel Water for the same reason.

Once I was on soft foods, I found a recipe for a banana-soy protein pancake and tried that but if felt like I'd eaten ground glass. I am finding that I dare not eat anything other than unsweetened applesauce and saltines most work days as I am so troubled by diarrhea and upset stomach after eating, I am afraid I will soil myself in public.

I do try to get some protein in at night and on weekends, but it is not going well. I was tolerating eggbeaters & egg whiltes ok but then they started causing diarrhea, too. Most protein foods cause pain and want to come back up if I can't lie down on my side or stomach after eating.

Since the first 3 weeks, I have only lost 3 more lbs despite the fact that I walk 6 days a week. It looked like 9 last week, but 6 lbs came back. I guess I was very dehydrated.

I feel very discouraged and regret having this surgery. I also feel like a big whiner since I know others have it worse with leaking and strictures and clots. But pre-surgery I had given up caffeine and junk food and I never did have much of a sweet tooth so I was losing with the RDs help. I thought this surgery would help make me HEALTHIER. Instead, I feel like I have medically-induced anorexia/bulemia.

I had the very same issues the first month after surgery. I dropped 36 pounds in the first three weeks. Then went into a three week stall. I could not handle the soy Protein drinks either. Thank god I found the nectar Protein Drinks on diet direct. I mainly use the road side lemonade. I drink these while at work because a little afraid to eat. I never know how my body will handle the food. Now that I am 3 1/2 months out I can handle more dairy, just in small amounts. So things will get better. On the nectar shakes I mix one scoop with about 14 oz Water so they are not to sweet. https://www.dietdirect.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/114403/ here is a link to website if you want to check them out.

have you discussed this with your doctor or NUT?? curious what they would say....

I'm sorry your going through this, how discouraging and stressful for you.

I am lactose intolerant and I have use Lactaid Milk with a scoop of Ovaltine to get some of my Protein in. She shakes, it is Laxtose Free Muscle Milk, or I mix VI Protein Powder with my Milk and Ovaltine.

Thanks for the hope that it doesn't go on like this forever! I will check out the Syntrax and the ovaltine, but I am worried they will not work as I know Syntrax is whey based and I can't handle Isopure or special k Protein Water because they are whey based and my reaction to dairy is so nasty. I use soy or almond milk these days. I am trying to learn to tolerate Lactaid but I can only take it in very tiny amounts. I can soak some into Kashi GoLean to soften it, but I haven't had luck drinking it.

Peanut Butter (or better yet PB2), tofu and puréed bean or split pea Soups all have good Protein and no dairy. How about puréed chicken salad or tuna fish? You could try them like a spread on saltines. I've become a little lactose intolerant...get very bloated and gassy if I make my Protein shakes with skim milk. Had to switch to soy, but cheese still goes down OK. Weird.

My mom is lactose and gluten intolerant and has always had digestive problems. Good quality Probiotics and digestive enzymes have really helped her. Good luck!

Edited by Kindle

I am 41/2 weeks out and have found the exact same trouble! I cannot tolerate dairy, soy or whey. I cannot tolerate any fake sugars either. I did not have this problem pre-op. So, Protein drinks are a no go. I have had to go puree and soft solids sooner than recommended, but otherwise I have no Protein at all. I am getting ready to try some frozen soufflés and see how that goes. Most days, I do not eat till after work due to the bloating, pain, gas and diarrhea. I feel better if I don't eat anything, but am very worried about the lack of protein. I can keep down the Vitamins thank goodness. Also, my energy is really good, which surprises me. What is weird, is that I have only lost about 15 pounds. Guess I must be getting more calories than I think.

Spiderlily - I have since followed up w/surgeon & NUT. Good news: Sometimes these problems are due to "overhealing" of the sleeve but we aren't far enough along for that to be the case. I was told to be patient and keep trying but not to push it and make myself sick.

As a result of these issues, they decided to put me on my B12 and B-Complex but hold off on the D and Calcium for a bit.

Per my doc's advice: Stay focused on staying hydrated even if that means you are low on Protein. Being dehydrated will only make the nausea worse which makes you more dehydrated, which makes you feel even worse... etc. In the morning, I don't attempt to eat anything until I've got at least 20 oz of Fluid in me. That means I only eat "breakfast" (more like brunch) on the weekends.

I can't tolerate the city tap Water, but ice cold bottled Water is okay. Now that a little time has passed, I have found that I can tolerate PureVia (stevia) and some artificially sweetened products but most still bother me. I have had trouble with various teas, but Diet Snapple stays down. So does VitaminWater or LifeWater. YMMV. The point is, if your stomach says "NO" listen right away and switch to something different (All this expirimentation is expensive, I know!).

I found the CalNaturale Svelte pre-mixed Protein shakes stay down without making my stomach hurt. They are smooth and nowhere near as thick and heavy as the soy protein powders. I also found the Kay's Naturals brand of protein Snacks and "Primal Strips" -soy and seitan "jerky" strips. They are small and contain 10 g of protein. I tested the products out at home first and then stocked my desk at the office once I knew they were safe.

I still cannot tolerate chicken although I had some deli turkey luncheon meat and that was ok and even some organic turkey Jerky (chewed very VERY well). Maybe the fillers make it less dense for my tummy? Of all fish, I seem to tolerate sardines and salmon best. I also seem to be doing better with egg whites now.

The Lactaid experiment was a bust - NUT theorizes that while it is reduced there must still be enough lactose left to make my gut angry. I am going to try a supplement that is supposed to help digest lactose and dairy - because unfortunately even vegan products may have a little non-dairy lactose lurking within and frankly my old eyes aren't always good enough to read those tiny labels accurately!

Have you tried the unjury Protein? It is the easiest to tolerate and the only one I could keep down the first fews weeks after surgery.

Lynda

The Lactaid experiment was a bust - NUT theorizes that while it is reduced there must still be enough lactose left to make my gut angry. I am going to try a supplement that is supposed to help digest lactose and dairy - because unfortunately even vegan products may have a little non-dairy lactose lurking within and frankly my old eyes aren't always good enough to read those tiny labels accurately!

I wanted to follow up on how this went in case anyone having the same issues I am finds this thread.

I purchased NOW Sports Dairy Digest Complete V-Caps. They are:

BioCore Dairy UltraT 108 mg* Protease 630 BLGU* / 25,000 HUT* (from Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus oryzae) Lactase (from Aspergillus oryzae) 1,000 ALU* Lipase (from Candida rugosa) 600 FIP*

I decided to take them for a full week before even attempting dairy. I'm still on soy shakes, but I'm so happy to have lower lactose things like my Dannon Light'n'Fit 2X Protein Greek Yogurt back! Today I went "crazy" and had .75 oz of light cheddar.

I haven't tried to push it too far, though. One serving of low-lactose dairy a day. That's a major improvement when you consider that I experienced cramps and diarrhea from a vegan cream cheese with a scant 1 mg of non-dairy lactose!