Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having my sleeve on the 17th. I have a slightly weird question. If you enjoyed spicy food before, can your stomach tolerate it after the surgery?

Hi! I will be 4 weeks post-op on Monday. I love/loved spicy foods! I am finding that asking about foods here is very helpful, but EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! I am very fortunate that I have not had any food toleration issues (and I do know I am very lucky!). I read that people tend to not tolerate spicy food post-op and was very disappointed. I have started to try "spice" in different things and have been fine so far, but I am taking it slow. I don't think I will be able to tolerate "Thai Hot" food anymore, but I think enough spice to keep me happy will be possible. My best advise to you is to listen to the Nutritionalist or MD, read here and ask questions, but remember you need to feel out your own tolerance. Take it very slow! Now I am very much the newbie with this, but I am just telling you what I have experienced so far.

I love spicy food, and have had no problems with it post-op. Tried some at five weeks out; no problems at all, thank God! :-)

I can't eat wasabi any more and I have to keep my curry on the mild side. I can have spiceful foods but foods with a lot of heat, not really.

No issues for me. I can tolerate anything.

I can still eat spicy foods like tabasco but foods with a lot of chiles light me up sometimes now. Plus with the no eat & drinking thing- I have cooled the spice level down a bit since surgery.

Thanks for all the input. My kids just always remark about how I like my food hot and spicy, and was curious if people noticed a difference in their tolerance level. Time will only tell!

On my 4th day post-op I had a glass of spicy clam on the plane on my way home. Stupid ... but delish with no problems.

The spicier the better and there is no difference post op.

6 months out I have no trouble with spicy, and I live in New Mexico, so you know I mean spicy :)

I added it back in after 8 weeks maybe. I do have trouble with things that have cinnamon oil or super sour stuff, which is a bummer. Hope that changes over time.

I imagine that with all the PPI's and acid reducers sleevers are on in the beginning, spicy won't bother many.

I agree with the comment that "everyone is different". Take your time as you re-introduce spice into your food. A little at a time will tell you a lot about your tolerance. As you can read above, there are lots of us who have had no trouble with potentially troublesome foods like spice or alcohol. Good luck to you.

been using hot sauce since about 3-4 weeks post op and no issues.