Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all, I'm Bree. I had my surgery on Feb. 7. I'm 22, 5'7". I started at 247, and a week out, I am 232. My surgeon had me on Clear liquids for the first week, and every week I advance. I'm on full liquids now, then pureed, then soft, then regular foods.

The clear diet was terrible. I was so hungry but felt like I shouldn't be eating as much so I would stop myself. I had the worst stomach cramps. The kind you get when you are severely hungry. They actually hurt! So on my followup appointment, I brought it to my surgeons attention, and he switched me a day early to full liquids and said that would help, and so far, it has.

The problem now is that I feel like I'm eating too much. I haven't felt full yet. I am just eating creamed Soups and pudding and things like that that I am allowed. I do not want those stomach cramps again. I have started Multivitamins and some optisource Protein Shakes. I'm just not feeling full and its bothering me. I can eat a whole can of cream of chicken Soup and still want more.

Help?

That does not make you a glutenous pig. Your sleeve is starting to work right. You need to separate head hunger from real hunger... It is amazing what our eyes can tell our brains which sends a signal to your stomach.....Feel it out. you will find for now you are getting enough...soon you will know what is really head hunger because it will happen to you like it has happened to most all of us...Then the real work begins. :)

You're still very soon after surgery - your stomach is still healing so you may not feel that "full" feeling yet. That's why it's important to follow your doc's instructions with regard to measurements of food you're allowed. My doc reminded me - "measure your food and remember, you don't always have to eat it all." Take small bites and slow down your eating (I use the Eat Slower app on my phone and set it to one minute intervals - you take one bit per minute).

Also, "full" may feel differently than it did pre-op. My full feeling is very uncomfortable - I try to avoid "full". Sometimes my nose will run or I do a hiccup/burp thing while I'm eating or I feel a poke in my stomach - those are my signs to stop. If I eat past that point, I can get uncomfortable.

I read something interesting on this site - rather than feeling full, it's better to eat to the point of ridding yourself of the hunger.

You're still very soon after surgery - your stomach is still healing so you may not feel that "full" feeling yet. That's why it's important to follow your doc's instructions with regard to measurements of food you're allowed. My doc reminded me - "measure your food and remember, you don't always have to eat it all." Take small bites and slow down your eating (I use the Eat Slower app on my phone and set it to one minute intervals - you take one bit per minute).

Also, "full" may feel differently than it did pre-op. My full feeling is very uncomfortable - I try to avoid "full". Sometimes my nose will run or I do a hiccup/burp thing while I'm eating or I feel a poke in my stomach - those are my signs to stop. If I eat past that point, I can get uncomfortable.

I read something interesting on this site - rather than feeling full, it's better to eat to the point of ridding yourself of the hunger.

The problem is that I'm still hungry. I can't get rid of the hunger. I guess it is still healing... but I feel starved. No matter how much I eat.

Are you tracking your food intake? I use The app My Fitness Pal. It has a bar code scanner function that's really cool. You may be surprised how little you're actually eating in a day. As long as you're not pushing yourself to eat unapproved foods and making a solid attempt to get in the appropriate amount of Protein your doctor is requesting I don't see why you should feel the need to neglect yourself. If you're hungry eat something approved (rich in protein). My Doctor's nutritionist had me stay under 900 calories and aim for 75+ grams of protein. I had a hard time reaching that goal after surgery. You may find comfort in tracking your food intake. Try it?

I am having the same worries.

Seems like most are talking about 1/4 c of this 2 T of that and at 9 days post-op yesterday I had 1c pea Soup and 1 c pudding in under 25 mins. Today I set my phone to notify meals as between Water and meals I feel like something is going in my mouth all the time. They haven't recommended no. of calories (I seem to be at 850/day) but I am supposed to strive for 100 gr of protein/day.

But really, could two cups of slime(pudding/soup) be ok?

ps If I didn't have my leak test on cd I won't know I had a sleeve. I had no pain, no nausea, no cramps.

The problem is that I'm still hungry. I can't get rid of the hunger. I guess it is still healing... but I feel starved. No matter how much I eat.

Are you confusing hunger with acid maybe? That happens quite ofter. There were times in the beginning I thought I was hungry, but it didn't make sense - I had just eaten or maybe I just had a shake, so I shouldn't feel hunger. You may want to talk to your doctor - he may tell you to try an acid reducer or a proton pump inhibitor. I find if I feel hunger when I don't think I should, it goes away with an acid reducer.

oops maybe have been closer to 1/2 c each.

I would advise you to do this, Measure 1/2 cup of cream Soup ( for instance) Don;t warm it up yet,

Take an acid reducer like zantex ( its great for immediate and 24 hours results)

Go for a 10-20 minute walk ( dogs love this) While walking drink some Water like 6 oz

Once your walk has done heat up your food.

eat slow like overly slow,

You may not feel FULL because your stomach has just been traumatized. I did not feel real restriction for about 6 weeks.

Enjoy your 1/2 cup.

Find something to do afterwards. maybe another small walk

Then eat again in 2-3 hours.

Enjoy your life!

I had that issue as well. it wasn't acid (on prilosec), and wasn't head hunger (actual hunger cramps), but for the life of me nobody would believe me. You can't be hungry they said. Sorry, bitterness crept in there.

Anyway, it gets better as soon as you get to the puréed stage. You may still be a little hungry, but not nearly as bad. Once you get to solids you'll finally get satiated.

Unfortunately though, I had to just grin and bear it until that stage. It may be different for you though, it could be acid or something. We're all different after all. But, I believe you.

I had that issue as well. it wasn't acid (on prilosec), and wasn't head hunger (actual hunger cramps), but for the life of me nobody would believe me. You can't be hungry they said. Sorry, bitterness crept in there.

Anyway, it gets better as soon as you get to the puréed stage. You may still be a little hungry, but not nearly as bad. Once you get to solids you'll finally get satiated.

Unfortunately though, I had to just grin and bear it until that stage. It may be different for you though, it could be acid or something. We're all different after all. But, I believe you.

finally someone who understands! I know it isn't acid. And everyone is saying the same thing to me. I guess that is my only option, but honestly, it's making me regret this whole thing...

It will pass. I'm only four ahead of you (sleeved on 2/3) and I'm feeling REALLY good now.

I just started pureed foods and it's much better. I was hungry as well and feeling frustrated but it did pass, and quickly. I can very much feel the restriction now and tell my sleeve is REALLY working. It is the "tool" everyone described it as. If you pay attention, and it's very easy to, you should be fine.

Give it a few more days, you will feel better!

Are you confusing hunger with acid maybe? That happens quite ofter. There were times in the beginning I thought I was hungry, but it didn't make sense - I had just eaten or maybe I just had a shake, so I shouldn't feel hunger. You may want to talk to your doctor - he may tell you to try an acid reducer or a proton pump inhibitor. I find if I feel hunger when I don't think I should, it goes away with an acid reducer.

I get that same feeling, but its generally gas or thirst for me. It is exactly like painfully hunger I felt pre op. Try upping fluids.

As you get into solids, that hunger should be dampened. You may still get hungry later on. When you are able to eat cheese, do try and make sure you have it (or other fats) in your diet. Fat in the digestive system releases a metabolite that signals satiety to the brain and, viola, hunger no more. A little fat is good for us. I use cheese now as a way to stop hunger cold when I need to control calorie consumption. Sometimes the hunger just gets really noisy and I want to eat something every hour.

Edited by Fiddleman

Thanks guys! Everyone looked at me like I had 5 heads when I talked about the pains. Its good to know other people had the same issue.

I'll use your tips. Water is so hard for me. I just bought some crystal light and light apple juice. Maybe that will make me want to drink more.