Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'General Guidelines After Weight Loss Surgery'

I dug out my written materials from the pre op nutrition classes I attended at my surgeons office. This is what they gave us as the 'general guidelines after weight loss surgery' I thought maybe I misunderstood what I should be taking in post op because so many members on here are on such strict regimens with regards to carbs and calories. I would love to see how these guidelines measure up to yours. I look forward to comparing notes.

(yes, I am still up and posting b/c for some reason not only did this surgery take away my hunger but also my need for sleep @@

Less than one month post op (where I am)

Fluid: 48-64oz

Calories: Minimum of 800 kcal (although they did say it may be difficult at first for obvious reasons)

Protein: 60-80g

Carbs: 90-100g (NUT said Protein first so ideally not much room left for carbs)

Fat: 18-22g

Fiber: Less than 20g

1-6 months post op

Calories: About 1200

Protein: 80g-100g

Carbs: 135g-150g

Fat: 27g-33g

Fiber: 20g-25g

More than 6 months post op

Calories: Dependent on individual needs

Protein: 30-35% of total kcal ex. 1200 kcal diet = 105g protein

Carbs: 40-50% of total kcal

Fat: 20-25% of total kcal

Fiber: Less than age 50 = 25g for women 38g for men. Age over 50 = 14g per 1000 kcal

It also emphasized to wait a half hour after eating b4 drinking so your nutrients will not get flushed to quickly out of your sleeve and you absorb as much of the nutrients as possible.

Edited by Belladonna723

Wowza! Yours is totally different from mine. Totally. I'm not to have over 50g carbs a day til I reach goal. My Protein is at least 70g.

The carbs I get are to come from vegetables and fruits with the exception of sf pudding (only if I add Protein powder to it) and ff yogurts which I am to have at least 12g Protein in.

The usual 64 oz liquids

Even in my full liquids and purée and mushy phases I cannot have mashed potatoes, (or peas or corn) which are so many ppls go-to food. :(

Wowza! Yours is totally different from mine. Totally. I'm not to have over 50g carbs a day til I reach goal. My Protein is at least 70g.

The carbs I get are to come from vegetables and fruits with the exception of sf pudding (only if I add Protein Powder to it) and ff yogurts which I am to have at least 12g Protein in.

The usual 64 oz liquids

Even in my full liquids and purée and mushy phases I cannot have mashed potatoes, (or peas or corn) which are so many ppls go-to food. :(

I like mine better...LOL. Not that it really matters..... not like I can get anywhere near my doctors guidelines. Only thing I can suck down fairly well are the bariatric shakes.

I like mine better...LOL. Not that it really matters..... not like I can get anywhere near my doctors guidelines. Only thing I can suck down fairly well are the bariatric shakes.< /p>

Mine's probably a good thing for me Bc carbs are such triggers for me. But no potato Soup or mashed taters during puréed is gonna stink. I'm on that for 2 weeks then soft for 3.

I just read an article on here under the 'food and Nutrition' section. Written by a nutritionist.... I am attaching just a paragraph. Apparently it is obvious how confusing the whole topic is.

"How much you should be eating is a hot topic on many online forums or support pages. If you have read the discussions it becomes clear that weight loss surgery clinics and support teams widely differ in how much they are recommending their patients eat. This is also clear when I chat with other health professionals at our obesity surgery conferences. If the professionals working in the area can’t get their story straight, how are people to know what to do?"

I was at the nutritionist today first time post op... And she told me not to be so worried so much carbs... And I was super confused! Im about ten days post op but was asking about ways to take in extra Protein and she suggested sustagen neutral and then was telling me to have porridge or weetbix for Breakfast. When I asked her about protein vs the carbs etcetc she said not to worry about it.. I'm confused!

I was at the nutritionist today first time post op... And she told me not to be so worried so much carbs... And I was super confused! Im about ten days post op but was asking about ways to take in extra Protein and she suggested sustagen neutral and then was telling me to have porridge or weetbix for breakfast. When I asked her about Protein vs the carbs etcetc she said not to worry about it.. I'm confused!

just concentrate on getting in your protein first that is what was emphasized to me.

Lol. And this is also something I'm not to have. oatmeal, cream of wheat etc Bc of carbs. I believe I'll stick with what bearman99 said on the other thread. April

Edited by SuperFab