Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months post slevee, starting to have asthma attacks

So... Does any one else have this problem or heard of it? I am 2 months post op tomorrow, and doing great losing weight getting Protein in etc. Till 2 weeks ago I woke up at 3 am felt like a elephant was on my chest was having trouble breathing and was very wheezing. (Have history of asthma but haven't had any attacks in at least a decade) well figured it was a fluke maybe change of weather etc. Well Monday night at 2 am I woke up from a deep sleep again with the same problem. Can't breathe elephant on my chest etc. I have heard the Prilosec that they have you on can flair asthma and asthma rescue inhalers can flair gerd like reactions. Does anyone have any clues or recommendations?

Thanks ahead of time.

Is it possible you are having an allergic reaction to any of your foods or Vitamins? I know some sleevers take certain vitamins right before bed... I would call my surgeon and ask about the prilosec too.

Hi, congrats on your surgery! Sudden Asthma symptoms can be scary especially since you haven't had them in a while. I'm an Asthma care coordinator and see patients with sudden Asthma attacks. It's a common misconception that people"out grow" Asthma. It's more like a sleeping dragon that can wake up (or not) at any given time. It could be just a trigger that has made the dragon wake up again. How has your stress/anxiety been since your surgery? Those are things that can also trigger an attack. You may want to schedule an appointment with your PCP just to be sure. Hang in there!

Watch out for medications with NSAIDs in them (non-steroidal) meds, like ibuprofen, etc. They can cause bronchospasm. (Has something to do with 'prostaglandins.')

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I do appreciate it. I may need to make a apt with my PCP but just wanted to see if this was something others experienced or if it was just me.

Thank you all!!!!