Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

op is valentines day ive got the jitters

Im going for my pre op medical tomorrow then my op is on friday. Ive been getting pretty nervous, this forum has really helped me. I keep reading other peoples nerves and the great responses from people. I know I'm making the right choice but all the what if's and maybe's are creeping in. Does anyone have any tips? Any pointers of what you did post op that was helpful? I have no idea what to expect after my op. Im nervous that its going to be very painful. I am really looking forward to getting past that part and getting into my new life. I am a little worried about not exercising for six weeks after, im worried I start to develp saggy parts in just that short time.
All helpful hints welcome, advice and guidance is much appreciated.
K :D

Post op is a little different for everyone. I had a very uneventful recovery, and very minimal discomfort. Recognize that even if you feel great, you are numb inside and need to heal so don't over do it. Take it in stages so you don't get overwhelmed. When I got home, I was on full liquids. The first few days I focused first on getting in all my liquids, then Protein. After about a week with no issues, I wasn't have trouble getting in my fluids, so I focused more on Protein. Which is what I have done since. You may be sensitive to temperatures, warm liquids went down easier initially for me. If you are concerned about anything that is happening - post. Someone is typically around and always willing to help or listen.

Though your exercise will be limited, walking is perfect for those first weeks. make time for it.

Best of luck to you!!!

Just think of it as a nap, and when you wake up, you will be on the road to the new you. If the pain is bad, it is temporary. For many of us, there was little pain, not much. I had no shoulder gas at all. For others, there were challenges, but they will have great advice for you as you come up with questions and concerns.

My best advice aside from get up and walk around, is that you may be more comfortable sleeping in a recliner for a few nights. It will make it easier to get up and down without pulling on your abdomen. Take care. We are here to encourage you.

Pre-op I focused how excited I was to be taking control of my weight problem, how happy I would be to see the scale going down, remembering how it felt to have clothes that fit, and that getting a sleeve was major but many people have successful surgeries far more extensive than a sleeve.

Post-op I did exactly like my doctor told me to. I set a timer for every 15 minutes to remind me to drink. I drank Protein drinks to kill two birds with one stone. I walked until I was tired or starting to get sore, usually 20 minutes every two hours. I slept in a lazy boy because it was much easier to get in and out of vs a bed. I did not rush to the next stage of food, I did not cheat at all.

After the first two weeks of liquid only ( my doctor requires 3 weeks of liquids) I was really ready for something I could chew, but I waited. I told myself it was a small sacrifice in light of how far I needed to go, and I knew that I had to learn to resist temptation if I wanted the sleeve to work for the rest of my life. I always take my Vitamins.

I weigh once a week at the most, and only if it feels like "a skinny day". I look to the future and sustaining the weight loss as my goal instead of losing X # of pounds. I think of future events and how I want to look, feel, and enjoy those events years down the road. This way of thinking helps me internalize that the sleeve is a life style change for the rest of my life, not just a quick way to get to certain size.

I feel the exact same way Katie! I am hoping to get the surgery in april or may and have the same nerves as you. Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck!

Im going for my pre op medical tomorrow then my op is on friday. Ive been getting pretty nervous, this forum has really helped me. I keep reading other peoples nerves and the great responses from people. I know I'm making the right choice but all the what if's and maybe's are creeping in. Does anyone have any tips? Any pointers of what you did post op that was helpful? I have no idea what to expect after my op. Im nervous that its going to be very painful. I am really looking forward to getting past that part and getting into my new life. I am a little worried about not exercising for six weeks after, im worried I start to develp saggy parts in just that short time.
All helpful hints welcome, advice and guidance is much appreciated.
K :D

My surgery is Tuesday, the 18th. I do exactly as MegaBob. I'm focusing on excitement. Looking forward to the new changes in my life. When I start to let doubt or fears creep in, I slam the door on it. Worry will not change anything, but it will rob me of my excitement and I refuse to let it do that.

April

Hi all my jitters are gone ???????? I'm 4 days post op and I feel so great. I'm super positive and I'm so excited for my future. I had quite a bad time in hospital. My pain relief was negligent and there were a lot of mix ups. It was very stressful and I was really scared about the pain I was having but now I'm home and taking care of myself I am great. I move around as much as I can and rest regularly so as not to over do it. I'm very determined with my eating and drinking and stick rigidly to what my dietician tells me.

I know I did the right thing and I have no regrets at all. I'm so happy ????????????????❤️????