Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 days post op, although I am looking forward to the future with my sleeve, I am starting to regret having gotten it so soon. Not because it hurts or because I am in pain or anything like that, but simply because I live in a household with 2 other people that constantly eat out and cook every single day!!!! I get so tired of smelling the juicy chicken, veggies, fish and types of other hot delicious foods While I sit in the living room drinking shakes and eating yogurt! It's really bothering me to the point I can not stop crying! All I hear are potato chip bags rattling in the kitchen and crunching and laughter, it's very hard on me right now because I have not enjoyed a piece of solid food in 7 days and it's really stressing me out!! I can not smoke a cigarette because I am still healing *sigh* I am a wreck. I do not want to scare anyone who has not had it yet because others may have a lot more self control than me, but as for me.. it's hard

Edited by Jls93001

It may be hard..but u are taking care of yourself. Your health ..your appearance and your energy. Is there a way u can politely ask those who live with u to be aware of your needs right now. I am at a point that my husband eats anything he wants in front of me. However, he did consider me till I to this point. Keep your hands busy so that the noise u hear in the kitchen is taken away by what u are concentrating on, read a good book, read bariatric pal articles yo inspire you, go to your bedroom if u need yo till your head hunger passes. You have control over this situation more than u think. As for as eating out..limit your visits to restaurants. You have options..u r in control of your environment.. Also ask for that consideration.

Thank you so much. They are very aware of my needs right now but they "will not change the way they live just because I did".

What you are going through is totally normal! The fact that you can't smoke only makes is worse but hang in there it does get easier..........I promise!! Treat yourself to some Panera Broccoli and cheese Soup. It was my saving grace! You can't eat the broccoli yet but the rest of it is absolutely amazing!!

You're going thru your "mourning food" phase. I think everyone goes through it, at least I know I did but I think I got thru it. I have to admit that it was a little easier for me because I live alone. I went to a superbowl party and wasn't really tempted to try my absolute favorite food...hot wings. Don't know how I did it but I did and you will too. The "good" thing about it is you're at a stage where you can't even if you tried and would soon stop eating that food because of the discomfort associated with eating it. You'll feel a lot better though at 4 weeks when you can at least taste "real" food. I made a pot of chilli yesterday and ate 1/2 cup yesterday and about 1/4 cup today. It was all I needed to satisfy my taste buds

Headphones and music. Air freshner. Internet shop for new bathing suits. You're still so early in the healing process. Today is a crappy day but these days will pass. I'm preop so what do I know but that's what I plan to do! Lol

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! It really helped and made me feel a lot better, especially to know this is normal lol. I guess I can enjoy this now because when I am able to enjoy food I'll also be right back at work lol

OM goodness...mourning phase!! YES!! That's exactly what it's like...my surgery was 12-30-13, and for two or three weeks after, all I could think about was all my favorite foods and question myself over why I did this!

It's passed, thank goodness, and now I feel I am in control of my eating habits for the first time in my life!!

Hang in there, this too shall pass!!

I can completely relate to what you are feeling. I still have to cook for my son (16 year old, 6 foot, football player) who eats like a monster. I try my best to make healthier choices for him also, but regardless of what I am cooking is torture because I have to put it all together, smell it and suffer through it. I am only 4 weeks out and just started soft foods, but just because I started soft foods definitely doesn't mean I can eat it. I've learned my lesson with eating sooner than I am ready.....it is not pretty. Try to do something (anything) to distract yourself. You wouldn't believe how organized my closet and dresser is :). Good luck to you, you will do great! This will show you how much will power you actually have!!

OM goodness...mourning phase!! YES!! That's exactly what it's like...my surgery was 12-30-13, and for two or three weeks after, all I could think about was all my favorite foods and question myself over why I did this!

It's passed, thank goodness, and now I feel I am in control of my eating habits for the first time in my life!!

Hang in there, this too shall pass!!

Ahhhhh so glad I'm not the only one! Good to know it will get better