Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7mo post op...I need help

I'm failing my surgery. I'm doing everything they said not to do.

I'm not taking my Multivitamins.

'm drinking with a straw (since the stomach pains went away like 1 month out)

I'm drinking carbonated drinks.

I'm drinking alcohol. Typically beer or long islands. I'm a little worried about that because I had a beer and napped at 10:30 this morning. Never did that before.

I'm eating shit. I just went at Applebee's and had myself the full appetizer sampler. I feel like I'm going to explode.

I swear I shouldn't have gotten that surgery. I went from 315 to 268 now I weighed myself at 280. The fact I can't cook and living on my own doesn't help. I can't turn to my mom because she'd just freak. She invested a lot in this, but sometimes she forgets I have too.

I don't know what to do. I'm not maintaining anymore. I'm worried

I'm not sure but I think I remember you from a few months ago. I gave you a really hard time and I'm sorry for it.

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling so much. You were given so much good advice last time you posted. Did any of it help? It sounds like from your post you know exactly what you're doing wrong and what you need to change, but I understand it's not always that easy is it? Maybe go back and re-read through the old post (ignoring mine) lol... I know it's really hard but getting back to the very simple basics helps for me. Logging everything, Protein first, Water. Remember in the beginning how hard it was? But after a little while it got easier before it got hard again?Maybe if you just really make an effort to get back to your program and detox off all the crap again you can get past this. What about your psychologist? You know, they really can't tell your mom so you should take advantage of all the support you can get. Also maybe take a break from all the bad influences for a while. If you know going out to eat is gonna make it impossible for you, then don't go. If you don't cook at all there is still a lot of ok choices you can make. Although not ideal, there is a lot of different frozen dit food that would be better than what you're doing now. I sincerely hope you find your balance. Fyi... I drink through a straw too :)

I will sound like an asshole for saying this but honestly the thread got way too big way too fast and I got overwhelmed to read and respond to it all.

I know exactly what Im doing wrong and its basically everything. Im not following their directions. It's gotten to the point where lately my diet has consisted of shitty Cereal, tortillas and Peanut Butter. I have the Cereal in the morning, I have the Peanut Butter burrito for an easy togo snack, and if I have a banana I slice some up in there too to make it a little bit more nutritious.

I feel like I cant talk about this with my psychologist because shes never worked with a bariatric patient, and she doesnt know what lines to cross (I think). Im not sure if she knows when she should call the doctors (for the surgery, not general doctor I'd see for a general health check up, if i was feeling sick, etc.), and when she should call my mom. Im an adult by law, but I havent been an adult for long, by mentality/emotionally.

Its so easy to get discouraged and do bad things.

I dont take my Vitamins because they taste like shit. I dont drink my Water because the tap here is horrible in the general area Im living. I drink the alcohol I bought because its present, even if it was at 10am like today which shocked me.

I guess me posting on here is me reaching out saying I need help. I only come here when Im desperate. When I spent 20$ on an Applebees meal (applebees appetizer sampler and a diet drink with like 3 refills), I know I fucked up.

I will sound like an a*****e for saying this but honestly the thread got way too big way too fast and I got overwhelmed to read and respond to it all. I know exactly what Im doing wrong and its basically everything. Im not following their directions. It's gotten to the point where lately my diet has consisted of shitty cereal, tortillas and Peanut Butter. I have the cereal in the morning, I have the Peanut Butter burrito for an easy togo snack, and if I have a banana I slice some up in there too to make it a little bit more nutritious. I feel like I cant talk about this with my psychologist because shes never worked with a bariatric patient, and she doesnt know what lines to cross (I think). Im not sure if she knows when she should call the doctors (for the surgery, not general doctor I'd see for a general health check up, if i was feeling sick, etc.), and when she should call my mom. Im an adult by law, but I havent been an adult for long, by mentality/emotionally. Its so easy to get discouraged and do bad things. I dont take my Vitamins because they taste like ****. I dont drink my Water because the tap here is horrible in the general area Im living. I drink the alcohol I bought because its present, even if it was at 10am like today which shocked me. I guess me posting on here is me reaching out saying I need help. I only come here when Im desperate. When I spent 20$ on an Applebees meal (applebees appetizer sampler and a diet drink with like 3 refills), I know I fucked up.

You didn't fuck up your just falling back into bad habits!!! Use your tools if your therapist isn't working find a new one!! Don forget the 2 month struggle I am only 3 months post op and I find myself even adding carbs it's a mindset get your mind right and your body will follow!! Get the she devil out of ur head telling u to eat and do these things!! You can do it!! Hopefully no one bashes you on here bc I find this forum sometimes to be a bit crude and non helpful!! Take one day at a time get a journal and keep track!! Use my fitness pal!! Talk to your mom!! Do easy prepared meals that u will be able to cook even though u say you can't. Bakes fish and baked sweet potato easy 16 min meal!!! Baked chicken these foods take no knowledge of cooking!! Don't give up and say strong!!!

Just take a deep breath, look at it like this, today is a new day and my first day. Go get cvs brand chewy vit, take 3, I do everyday they are like candy and very yummy in the tummy ( or our case sleeve) . That $20 takes takes time to earn it, so take your time eating it , make it last 3,4,5 meals. Dance party everyday, just take 3 min a few times a day and bust out some moves, burn cal and enjoy yourself. You have nothing to prove to anyone, so prove to yourself you can do it :) ever heard the saying " fake it till you make it" well it could work for this. Fake bring a good sleever. Even if you don't want to eat less do it, take your vit and do everything you know you need to, do it with a fake smile, and in no time it will be 2 Nd nature and BAM you made it. Your going to be fine. Talk to your mom, you say she is invested in it then she will invest herself to help you along the way. Everyday wake up smile , dance and love yourself.

Edited by DreamBig

Oh and I cook everyday, but never for myself, I eat sandwich meat, yogurt , string cheeses, and shrimp. Just go walk around Bilo, ingles, whatever you have there, look at dif foods, non cooking foods, bet you will find something you will love :)

Myfitnesspal is a life save for me..it helps me know exactly where I stand with calories/protein grams.

Take action.. Go back to basics that was given to u for eating the rest of your life on the sleeve. There r books out there that also can help u. Move..exercise..it will help keep your mind positive. Don't give up.. Like someone said before me ..it's a new day ..

Bake chicken , salmon, fish with your favorite herbs. It is just a matter of seasoning and putting it in the oven. Buy the veggies that can be cooked in the bag. That is easy. Make yummy Protein shakes with pineapple, bananas ,

Or strawberries/blueberries with skim milk and Greek yogurt. The sky is the limit. This is easy to do. Google bariatric recipes. U have to put effort in your lifestyle if u want the sleeve to work for u. Taking your Vitamins is easy to do.. It seems u may be in a rut. Take action and get out of your rut.

Myfitnesspal seems nice in theory, but useless when you dont use it///dont measure your food like you are anal about it.

I dont know how to use an oven and I have a stupid fear of getting burned, because I was burned when I was a kid. Not badly burned, but burned enough to never do it again when Im an adult now.

I might do smoothies. How do they keep, when you keep them over a span of four hours or so? I have class from 9 to 1, thats why I ask.

I only know how to do simple things. I can make powdered mash potatoes, I can make Pasta, I can steam a chicken, I can cook eggs, I can make a mean Breakfast burrito with Beans rice and eggs, but I cant for the life of me make anything more. Its too much work. And the sad thing is, is that this is all the SIMPLE things you can do if you are braindead.

Its hard to get myself in the mentality to work out when I have a part time job going on (school. signed up for full time, 13 units, but really its just like a part time job right now, 20 hours a week including class and studying).

Its hard for myself to get in any kind of eat healthy style.

I dont think I was ready for this surgery. Too young. I dont want it enough , apparently. And now Im gaining weight.....

I take Gummy Vitamins and Fiber. Way better than traditional Vitamins.

I have trouble with liquids too. I have started drinking (at night) diet hot chocolate. It goes down really easy. And I double the serving so I get 16oz. of liquid at the end of my day. I will shake it up between iced tea, hot tea and Water with flavor drops added. I do drink the occasional soda. Though not encouraged, my dietician said I could have carbonation once in a while after two months.

I've been using a straw since day two. Also fine with my surgeon and it's caused me no issues.

Lastly, I eat a lot of rotisserie chicken - no cooking required! 2% string cheese. tuna. Shrimp can just be thawed - make sure you get the pre-cooked kind. You can buy eggs pre-boiled. I also hit up the salad bar at the grocery store. But I stay away from anything with mayo.

I hope you find your way. Good luck!

I am struggling too. I have messed up and hated myself for it. I had negative thinking were I was calling myself an idiot daily if not hourly. It is easier to eat wrong and eat way to much, than I thought it would be. I have decided to regroup and go back to MFP to start tracking, it is the only thing that works for me. I think that you need to do the same thing, forgive yourself and move on...You need a plan and it won't be easy. Use some of the ideas people have given you and sit down and come up with some go to meals. I have to do the same thing. I started back following the rules and have already lost 2 of the pounds I gained back. You can give in to the excuses or decide you want it bad enough and make it happen, I hope that I am making it happen. I am a year out and the day I went back to eating correctly my sleeve went back to giving me good restricition.

Myfitnesspal seems nice in theory, but useless when you dont use it///dont measure your food like you are anal about it.

I dont know how to use an oven and I have a stupid fear of getting burned, because I was burned when I was a kid. Not badly burned, but burned enough to never do it again when Im an adult now.

I might do smoothies. How do they keep, when you keep them over a span of four hours or so? I have class from 9 to 1, thats why I ask.

I only know how to do simple things. I can make powdered mash potatoes, I can make Pasta, I can steam a chicken, I can cook eggs, I can make a mean Breakfast burrito with Beans rice and eggs, but I cant for the life of me make anything more. Its too much work. And the sad thing is, is that this is all the SIMPLE things you can do if you are braindead.

Its hard to get myself in the mentality to work out when I have a part time job going on (school. signed up for full time, 13 units, but really its just like a part time job right now, 20 hours a week including class and studying).

Its hard for myself to get in any kind of eat healthy style.

I dont think I was ready for this surgery. Too young. I dont want it enough , apparently. And now Im gaining weight.....

I don't cook either. I like things that I can grab and eat like Greek yogurt. Seems like there's a million at the store so I just look for the lowest calories. I make smoothies and sip them all morning long. I mix Protein powder into all kinds of stuff- pudding, oatmeal, etc. All basic stuff that doesn't require an oven or stove just a microwave sometimes. I blend cottage cheese with powdered ranch for a high Protein dip. I take shredded chicken and make chicken salad. Some days I scramble an egg or two in a mug for Breakfast.

I take 2 Flintstones complete Vitamins a day. They taste ok. Not awesome but definitely tolerable. I love Peanut Butter but try to avoid it as I can't stick to one serving. Based on what you can cook, you can eat healthier if that is what you want. I don't weigh or measure my food but I do use my fitness pal, it gives me an idea of where I am for the day.

For exercise, I have found that I am a slug on my own so group exercise helps me. I do classes or workout with friends or a trainer. Left to my own devices, I would just sit on the couch.

I think trying to change everything at once is overwhelming. I focused on one issue at a time. I started with the whole no caffeine. I stopped drinking coffee about 2 months before surgery. After that about 2 weeks before surgery, I added the whole "no eat & drinking" thing. Then came the protein first rule, etc. There are a lot of rules but by easing into them, I found it easier to stick with.

Lastly, I set mini goals along the way. Goal for hitting weight loss benchmarks, exercise goals, clothing size goals. I found those things very motivating in the beginning. You can turn this around and I think it is great that you are here and asking for help. If you need ideas, recipes or just to vent message me.

Erica

I will sound like an a*****e for saying this but honestly the thread got way too big way too fast and I got overwhelmed to read and respond to it all.

I know exactly what Im doing wrong and its basically everything. Im not following their directions. It's gotten to the point where lately my diet has consisted of shitty Cereal, tortillas and Peanut Butter. I have the cereal in the morning, I have the Peanut Butter burrito for an easy togo snack, and if I have a banana I slice some up in there too to make it a little bit more nutritious.

I feel like I cant talk about this with my psychologist because shes never worked with a bariatric patient, and she doesnt know what lines to cross (I think). Im not sure if she knows when she should call the doctors (for the surgery, not general doctor I'd see for a general health check up, if i was feeling sick, etc.), and when she should call my mom. Im an adult by law, but I havent been an adult for long, by mentality/emotionally.

Its so easy to get discouraged and do bad things.

I dont take my Vitamins because they taste like ****. I dont drink my Water because the tap here is horrible in the general area Im living. I drink the alcohol I bought because its present, even if it was at 10am like today which shocked me.

I guess me posting on here is me reaching out saying I need help. I only come here when Im desperate. When I spent 20$ on an Applebees meal (applebees appetizer sampler and a diet drink with like 3 refills), I know I fucked up.

I hear you. That last post got way out of control. Instead of only coming here when you're desperate why don't you come more often? It's good to have support during positive times and helps keep the negative ones at bay. I know you've struggled for a long time, and I know you are very young. It's too late to say you shouldn't have had the surgery. The only way you're going to feel better is to find some tangible help getting your depression under control and work hard to do this for yourself. It will probably be one of the hardest things you've ever done but I know you can do it if you buckle down and set your mind to it.

First you got to get off the carbs (cereal) in the morning. For some people (like me) carbs will cause uncontrollable cravings for more carbs. You will not lose weight on a high carb diet like cereal and bananas etc. It is a physiology not psychology. Your body causes you to make more bad choices because of the cravings.

Start the day with an egg or cheese. Anyone can boil an egg or fry it. Goto YouTube to learn how to cook if you need to.

For lunch have some lunch meat and cheese or some chili (even Wendy's chili). Or heat up some Soup (no noodles or rice in it)

For dinner make a hamburger patty. You can just fry that if you don't use a grill though those George Foreman grills work good.

For Snacks have Greek yogurt or a cheese stick.

You got to detox from the carbs to stop the physical cravings. Once you get off carbs it will be easier to follow the plan your doctor gave you.

I am not carb free but sometimes when I am out of control I need to detox from them to get back on track.

Please talk to your Mom - she WILL understand - sure you might get an earful for five minutes, but likelihood is that she already will know what you are going to say - Moms are good that way...

Im gonna try to reply to everybody because I havent been keeping up since I posted last.

@Sassy, what brand? I am using Celebrate, and I think those are specifically for bariatric patients. Carbonation has became a thing for me since I started drinking beer, when I turned 21...which was like a month post op. I know the effects of it though. I know my limits. I cannot chug beer. I will physically feel sick. I physically felt sick the first time I had a large cup of beer. I cannot do that to myself. I cannot make myself feel sick. Rotissaire chicken seems nice, where can I buy it at and under what aisle? Is it one of those things where you plop it in the microwave or what?

@krlstlkay - Im bad at actively forgiving myself. I live my life pretty mindlessly. I will mindlessly hop on Facebook, mindlessly do this and do that...I think I need to see a nutritionist who has worked with a bariatric patient because right now I DO need help with recipes and stuff. I am living off what a typical college student might do, and Im not a typical college student as much as I want to be...

@erp - Maybe thats where I messed up. I never had a clear goal. I wanted to lose weight, but I always wanted to lose weight and it never got me anywhere. I just never really set goals with weights. With health. I just live life. I can try to set a goal like work out twice a week or even once a week but I might not keep it, then whats the point? Thanks Erica :)

@Seela - yeah it did get out of control. I will look at it again tomorrow morning probably. I feel bad now (I always have something to feel bad about haha), because if I were to not reply now I would probably leave it. I have a tendency to post on here when I feel like shit, and eat like shit right before I post on here, and then walk away until the next time. I know its selfish of me...I recognize I can be an asshole like that, but I know otherwise I am a decent human being :X. I hate choosing between Health and School and right now in my life I feel like Im choosing between a social life Im building and health and school, where I really only focus on two of those. If I wanted to, Im sure I can force myself to go to the gym or eat nothing but good stuff....but my life would be miserable.

@playlikeworldchamps - I'm not going to lie, one egg may not satisfy me. Three eggs would probably be better, with some cheese. I dont know how much my stomach has stretched out, but I can tell you that before, I had a problem downing 2/3rds of a Premier Protein shake (11oz), and now I can down two of them without much trouble. One greek yogurt or one cheese stick won't be enough for me. One patty wouldnt be enough for me either. Volume wise, I feel like its half of what I would eat. Or less. Im stuck in a point where I feel like I am eating LESS food than I did when I was pre surgery, but more food than I was when I was working up to everyday-foods a month or two after surgery. Once I moved to college and had real food available, the weight stopped losing, and I started maintaining. Now Im gaining.

@Selena - She probably does, but my relationship with my mom has never been great. I would turn to you all before my mom. She cares, but too much and it pushes me away.