Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfill setting me back about 6 months :-(

I tend to get very swollen after a fill, so I've been sticking to fills of .25 every 3-4 weeks.

Friday night, I got stuck on shrimp. VERY STUCK! By Saturday morning, I could drink Water but in very small amounts. By Saturday night, I was okay. I ate grilled chicken with cheese for dinner and had a few glasses of wine. Woke up Sunday morning and was SO tight. I mean, beyond tight. I couldn't even keep my saliva down. I'm not sure what caused it. I probably threw up/PB 30 times on Saturday. Struggled through the night and went to the Doctor on Monday.

The Fluid FLEW out of my band. We tried to only take out a little, but I kept throwing up. 3 unfills and 1.5 ccs later, I left the office.

I dread the path to get that 1.5 back in...emotionally and physically.

Unfortunately we sometimes have issues that can't be fixed any other way - best thing you can do is keep looking ahead and continue pushing on! You will get back up to that point again, hopefully without the issues this time, but you can do it.

Stay positive, you are doing a great job. Small (or large) set backs are expected for us, but in the end it will be well worth it.

I eat shrimp, but have to be very careful...same with lobster and crab...no matter how well you chew, the texture is still the same....and when I do eat it, I can't eat very much....also, melted cheese is on my "No" list...and chicken has to be very tender...not overcooked....

Anyway, everyone is a little different depending upon your band....

Sounds to me, that getting stuck on the shrimp traumatized (irritated) your band a little and then the chicken and cheese may have compounded it....

I have not gotten stuck in over 2-1/2 years, but when I did...sometimes 2-3 times a day...(I'm a slow learner and hard headed)...I eventually learned to take it easy for at least 24 hours afterward....liquids and only the softest - mushiest of foods to give the band a chance to recover...

As a general maintenance measure...I'll do all liquids for at least 2 days, every 6-8 weeks or so...also depending on whether I feel my pouch has dilated any...

If you twist your ankle, you need to stay off it a bit...not continue to walk on it....

The Dr. removed Fluid fro the band, not because there may have been too much...but because that is his way to give it a rest....

Edited by B-52

I have trouble with shrip an ddry chicken breast like B-52 said. If you eat shrimp, you should chew real well. And watch out for dry chicken breast. You probably should have styaed with soemthing easier to eat, as you were swollen after being stuck. This is a good lesson for all of us! Sorry for the set back. Possibly that last fillwas just a little too much! I never heard of teh fill just pushing it self out. Yipes! Best wishes, take care. Karen..aka.kll724

i cannot eat shrimp at all. Tried it several times, at different meals, and this is one of my foods that just will never be band friendly. Oh well. I can live without shrimp.

My no can do.. Of all things, black olives! Go figure!

You probably should have stuck with soft/liquids after being stuck on the shrimp, for a day. The alcohol might have dehydrated you too. I find after alcohol I am tighter and need to rehydrate slowly before I can eat. Just take it easy, you'll get back there.

Off topic but B52, I love your posts! You are a wise man & very well written.

Back to topic - setbacks happen. As was said, you likely irritated your band & what you did was out of necessity. Maybe next time you go for a fill, because you are use to 1.5 cc's more in your band, maybe you can get more than the standard 0.25 cc's. I'd ask anyway.

If not, it'll take a bit of time but you'll get back to your fill level. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. :)

Definitely a good lesson for folks. My PA says if you have a stuck episode you should go back to your post fill diet. I've been stuck on chicken as well. I have only ate one shrimp since I was banded it didn't feel right when it hit my band so, I decided that was going on my no list.

We all have different things on our "No Go" list. It's a learning curve. When I was first banded my family used to ask me if I was ok when I was eating b/c I would eat so slow. Or, ask, "Don't you like it?" Eating slow has saved me many times. It really makes you listen to your body-band.

I'm not the perfect band patient. I'm sure I've done things that others wouldn't, but I'm getting results and taking care of my band. So, just try to keep your eye on the end game. This is a Detour but we're here cheering for you to reach your goal!

Good Luck!

Yeah, I remember going through that as well. It does take your body a few months to get back the restriction you had before the unfill but in the end, it will be worth it. You don't want your band to slip from all the pbing you have done. Your stoma needs a rest. It will take time but you will get there. Continued success.

I am wondering if it is the wine. The first time I drank 3 glasses of wine I could not eat the entire day the next day. Some say the sugar alcohols cause the swelling of the band. I really don't want to try again and find out. :(

It's disappointing. My doc was going out of town the day after my fill. Seriously, had I known that, I would not have scheduled the fill, knowing better after working in the med/dental profession my entire career. His partner, who did not do lap band and was sweet but nervous as heck attempted the unfill. It was almost empty by the time he was finished. It was a huge set back, but here is my take away... I learned this is not a diet for that day, not a diet for that week, or month. This is my life style from now on. It's going to be ok.

It was good to read everyone's posts. I had been on a roller coaster with fills and unfills. My band has slipped twice due to my own negligence. The last time I had to be emptied completely for 6 weeks. That was a very critical time because I had NO restriction at all so I did gain weight. Afterwards I didn't recover well from the weight gain, so I gained even more. I am just now getting back on track and my PA has been adjusting my fills up and down until I get back to the right place. I know that I cannot eat dry chicken, breads, or asparagus without problems. Today, I found out that pork neckbones don't sit well with me either, Up-chucked it all! I find that sometimes it's trial and error. Other times, I just know better to not eat certain things like breads. After 4 years, I've only lost 52lbs, then gained back almost half of it. I am refocused and plan to get support here for encouragement to continue in the right direction until I get to my goal weight. I hope to have significant weight loss before the spring. I haven't posted here in a very, very long time and miss it. It helps to share with those who have gone through the same things and understand this Lapband journey.