Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone struggling with mental problems?

Since my op - 9 months ago - it was as if an ocean was opened and it flooded all over me. Mental issues!!!

So much stuff!

And to try and cope with it. But this horrible depression ans terrible anxiety, i dont even know what to say. It's like layers of myself just fall away more and more and i dont know perhaps i am afraid there will be nothing left of me!

Weird feelings and thoughts going around and around and actually i just want to know - am I the only one?

Is there anyone else reading this that feels like they are trying to swim upstream really hard, but just want to let the Water take you down the river?

It's like an open wound.

It's weird.

Just saw my psychiatrist today, he amended my meds so that i take 150g of Sertraline (Zoloft) now daily. Also one Rivotril.

Anyone else on these meds?

I used to be Sertraline 100g plus wellbutrin XL. But i dont think it did much. Felt the same as before wellbutrin was added. I read up on it and the literature states clearly gastric bypass patients should not take extended release meds. I dont think much was absorbed.

So now we are trying the sertraline at a higher dose. I struggle with depression and anxiety. Personally I feel I suffer from borderline personality disorder.

But my psychologist insists not to "diagnose" yet - as she says this is me in crisis and symptoms mask stuff and this and that whatever - basically too soon to tell. She says though if she had to take a guess, it's probably bipolar disorder.

But i dont know about that. I dint think i am bipolar. I know bipolar people, and i dunno, me going off my handle is much different from them going off their handle.

Anyway, just wanted to share this with you and hear your thoughts on the subject. Also, is anyone out there also using sertraline, how much, and how do you find its effectiveness?

Thanks dear friends!

I feel you I have been feeling like im going crazy

I think this is normal. You're reinventing yourself. You need to get to know the "new you". Try to change your thinking to view this as an exciting adventure or journey. I know that's easier said, than done. Start with just trying to notice your thoughts, try not to let the negative ones lead to more negativity. Know that you're not alone. I am only 8 weeks post op, but I've been feeling depressed lately. I've always struggled with depression though, so it's nothing new. Keep getting support from where you can and believe that it will get better!!

I had a.couple of days where my thoughts were very black and I wouldn't get out of bed or eat and barely drank. I snapped out of it but I not only scared my family but myself.

Remember too that food actually does have an effect on mood, a lot of us eat for emotional reasons. .. Not having that easy source of a mood boost is going to take some getting used to, other ways of coping have to be developed, kwim? Hang in there, it will settle down eventually! Hugs!

No you are not alone I feel the same wY and I am 4 months post op

We obviously all had weight problems due to many reasons but for certain we ran from emotional issues or used food as a filler to avoid our issues. Now that you are losing weight, not only have you lost your "coping skill" of eating for comfort- you also have to realize food was our addiction. So feelings you have avoided all these years are now sneaking back and your old way to cope and ignore them was by becoming addicted to food- is now gone. So you are now dealing with all of these emotions you have stuffed- no idea how to cope since your old way is gone- and you can't feed that addiction of stuffing your emotions. Get therapy my friend, to learn what your issues are and how to cope in a healthier way. Keep your brain busy each time you want to eat, go for a walk, journal, call a friend keep yourself busy and far from food until it passes. Retrain your brain. Good luck- and nice to know I wasn't the only feeling "mental"!

I'm going through the same thing right now. Had my surgery in May 2013 and the world feels like it's hitting me all at once and I feel really exposed. I'm working with my doc through it because I was asked to either get better or leave my job. Out on FMLA right now for the next few weeks while we figure out meds and me coming to grips with things.

I agree that this is a new chapter of our lives and we really are struggling to figure out who we are and how we react to the world.

I hope you start feeling on the mend soon.

You are not alone. I am on anxiety meds. I am supposed to be on an antidepressant, but I keep getting other health issues popping up that they think may be causing the depression. BUT I wish they would understand that my health issues plus, life trauma, and now complete loss of food as my comfort makes it difficult from day to day. Yes, it feels like I am going crazy some days or just want to crawl in a hole in the ground. Some days I feel so empty with no way to comfort myself. You know that feeling of being totally lost and like something is missing. Hang in there and cherish the days you feel good and think about how proud you feel making good food choices. This what I try to do to stay sane.

I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and general anxiety disorder 7 years ago. I gained so much weight from meds, that gastric bypass was my best option. Even though I found a great cocktail of meds now, I still had some issues with anxiety after surgery. I just continue with my meds and see my therapist once a week. She really helps me with my eating issues, and that I need to make sure to look at food as fuel. I use to constantly eat my emotions. It has really helped. Hang in there, and feel free to chat with me anytime about how you're feeling.

Thank you girls! I appreciate your words so much!

xxx