Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Tin - Toronto Cosmetic Clinic

Has anyone been banded here? How was it. I booked an appt with Lori today for March 29th/ She decides if I am a good candidate and then one week later I meet with Dr. Tin. You can get surgery within 4 to 8 weeks. Should the fact that I could get an appointment so quickly for all the above concern me?

Hi Donna, I can't think of anyone I've seen here banded by him.

How much is it with Dr. Tin? How many surgeries has he done? How long has he been doing them? Are you paying for the consult? (and no, 4-8 weeks seems reasonable, and typical)

The fee is $15,000. Includes unlimited fills. Free consult. In fact consult is covered by OHIP - go figure! I am not sure how many he has done. His bio indicates that he is about 37years old.

What sort of stuff should I ask?

I haven't heard of Dr Tin's clinic either. TLBC is booking for surgeries 6-8 weeks in advance, so no....that is not a concern.

I would DEFINITELY ask the questions re. how experienced he is...how many has he done, for how long has he been doing it, what is his complication rate etc.

It's a personal choice, but ME,...I would go for the tried, tested and true....

I have heard of Dr Tin, but I do not know anyone banded by him. I wouldn't be concerned about the wait time it is about the same everywhere. I honestly would ask about the number of bands he has installed, complications he has dealt with, if there is a complication who pays etc.

Surgeons have to get experience somewhere and sometime, I know Dr Tin has be around for a while just haven't heard of anyone banded by him and I have been banded for five years.

I agree with Yoda, experience does count

Good luck.

Wow SusieQ

You have had the band for 5 years. Have you had any problems during that time? Do you still feel that you have a small tummy? Have you kept your weight off and consistent? Hope I am not getting personal but it great to hear that it is lasting that long. I was on another thread, I think a US one and man they were terrifying me about failure rates.

Donna,

I have been at goal since about 18 months out. Dr Joffe and Yau are my surgeons and they are both great. I can't say enough good things about TLBC and the way they have treated me.

Here is my take on banding... lets face it anyone can lose weight we have all done it before, where we run into issues is maintaining the loss long term... the band is amazing for maintenance. It allows me to maintain with almost no effort. I move I watch what I eat in the sense that I would live off of sugar if I could and I make sensible choices and eat healthier than that.

I was one of a few that has had complications, several of them, in fact. I do not hide that, and even with all my complications I lost about 150 lbs in 18 months and maintained that goal. I credit one of the reasons that I could do that and stay positive with my surgeon Dr Yau, he is amazing, he cares and on top of that he is a great surgeon who is always striving to be better.

I do not have a tummy but I did have a Tummy Tuck because of loose skin and feeling like I had a gut so I have a flat tummy and perky boobs what more could a girl ask for... other than some skinny thighs (yes plastic surgery can be a bit of an obsession)

I would do this all over again in a heartbeat and pay all this money again. It is worth it.

I travelled a lot while I was losing so I was eating out every meal and living in hotels. So I did about an hour of cardio and free weights, swimming etc 3-6 times per week. Now I walk, do yoga, and I am looking into joining a gym.. I am so not a joiner, and I hate the idea of gyms, but I feel I need some more heavy duty cardio in my life again, I am feeling just a little like a sloth lately.

I have a consultation with The Toronto cosmetic clinic on april 9th. Will tell you how it goes. Though from the message boards, I am leaning towards going to the TLBC.

Wazup wit dat? I am the other person. No need to be so harsh. We are just asking questions.

Robgoblin - I am going to the Toronto Cosmetic Clinic this Thursday but not to see the Dr only his consultant. I will let you know.

Hi Donna D. Sorry didn't mean to be harsh. In what way? I just made a comment that as Rob was leaning the other way that it was a good decision. Noone seems to have heard of Dr. Tin so why take a chance. Wait until he has made his reputation with banding. And I say again, let someone else take the chance. I base my decision on certain criteria and any doubts I move on. That was my advice to Rob.

Thanks, yes, i am going to see the consultant on the 9th. I don't think there is anything wrong with any clinic. From his bio, it looks like Dr. Tin has been Doing Lap-bands for a few years. Plus any qualified surgeon is very skilled. Just because the clinic isn't as popular doesn't mean anything. They offer the same service. The only reason I might be leaning towards TLBC is because they are dedicated to this one thing, plus seem much better (ex: i am going to a consultation on the 9th, and i didnt have to do anything, plus on the TCC website they dont say anything about pre-op diet; whereas TLBC has a pre-op diet to make operation easier, and i have a 9 page thing still to fill out for a consultation---which they are doing over the phone *saving me a drive to toronto* And TCC doesnt do phone conferences) So without even seeing anything i am inclined to the TLBC (just my opinion). BUT, I am still going to do both consults and see how i feel after. If they both seem fine, which i am sure they are, i might as well save 1000$ and go to tcc:)

No problem Doddie - I know you are right. As Rob says, the consult is free.

Rob - if you go the TCC website and click on types of surgery then lapband there is a very detailed after diet but as I come to think of it I am not sure I read about pre-op either. They may tell us at the appt. It may be worth a go see. In all honesty, I am a bit nervous that with all these guys here on this site who have had it done, his name never comes up. I am leaning a bit myself to tlbc.

Take care. I will stay in touch.