Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on a Friday...back to work Monday

Hey everyone, I have a question on going back to work after surgery. I am an Accountant and this is our busy time...I am not telling anyone that I work with about my surgery. I just took one day off for the surgery on a Friday and have client consults and a full day of work the following Monday. Will this big a MAJOR problem?...obviously not recommended, but will I be able to function? I have had 2 C - sections with my kiddos, and have been assured that this won't compare, but am I being too optimistic?

There was no way I'd have went back to work 3 days post op. I didn't have any bad pain or anything, but I took my meds...ALL of them. I took two weeks off work...probably a few days more than really necessary.

But each person is different. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. :)

There was no way I'd have went back to work 3 days post op. I didn't have any bad pain or anything, but I took my meds...ALL of them. I took two weeks off work...probably a few days more than really necessary.

But each person is different. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. :)

Thanks for your input catfish...With my upcoming schedule, I don't know that I will have much choice, but your story and what I've been reading does make me think...outside of gas pains and soreness of the incisions, what else should I be thinking about for post op?

there was another girl that had to go back to work really quick. her major problem was the movement of her port and the long incision. a suggestion to her was a back brace turned backwards or a abdominal binder. just to give some support so things dont move around. take some kind of pain medication even if its just extra strength tylenol. don't forget your Fluid. drink a lot. have some tea bags around so you can enjoy a nice hot cup of tea or coffee. i wish you lots of luck. you will be uncomfortable and i hope you can do this.

I was actually pretty lucky I think...I didn't have any issues with the gas pains so many experience. I don't think I could have sat straight up in a regular chair, getting up and down as may be required for working, so soon after surgery. When I wasn't up walking about, I was in a recliner, feet up and watching TV.

I have read from people on here over the years that went back to work in the similar timeframe you're talking about....with mixed results.

The pain from surgery wasn't NEARLY as bad as I had anticipated. But once again...I'm all for taking the Rx meds given to me to help control it. They worked well for me.

You might be comfortable if you are sitting up , and even when you get home as it is kind of hard to get out of a lying flat position most of us slept sitting in our comfy chairs or recliners , so if you don't have to lift or move a lot or even stand a lot then I just my opinion think you will be o k , I know someone very close I worked with and she did the same as you , so I told her to ask for help if she needed it that I didn't mind , she did fine , of course she also took her pain medication and kept a medicine cup near and her water bottle so she could sip every fifteen min, and she did fine , as we have to lift at least 50 lbs. at work and have to stand for 8 hrs. total , we both worked in the Deli so just my opinion I feel you should be o k , now I couldn't as I am a big baby and don't like pain , but that is just me .

I am one of those people who can't sit still....at the 3 day mark after surgery, I was climbing the walls, had to get out and do something...which I did...

I got very tired, very fast, and just wanted to get home and lay down....

At 5 days I went back to my office, and then I could not stay very long.....

I had surgery on a Friday also, took the following week off as vacation time, returned to work the Monday after the week...10 days after surgery...

I was very sick with severe gas pains and nausea. Everyone is different but I really think you need a week atleast to recover from this surgery. Keep in mind besides the effect of the surgery you will also be very tired as a result of only consuming small amounts of liquids. I flew home 3 days after my surgery and I can honestly say it was the worst flight of my life. If you rush your recovery you may find you will end up being off work longer than you would just taken the proper amount of time off in the first place. I am sure this not what you wanted to hear but I found out the hard way. I am self employed who felt I couldn't afford to be off long, but I quickly found out the body does not always respond the way you want it to. Good luck.

Hi exactly the same issue as you, im due to be banded on 21 Feb, was told that its possible to return after 3 days but its normal for a weeks rest. So for myself I wil be having 4 days of work then i must return.

I'm only taking 3 days off as well. I'm 100% healthy no issues at all other then weight, young and have a desk job. I had open abdominal surgery on a Thursday and drove myself to nursing school on a Monday. I figure if I can do that I can handle a laparoscopic surgery :)

I think you'll be able to function. Just remember to take your gas ex regularly, any pain meds will help. If you don't want to be stoned on narcotics, ask your MD what OTC meds you can take. I was allowed Tylenol. Drink fluids.

Are you just getting the Lapband? I ask as it seems those that do have it easier.

I got the Lapband with plication and had a good sized hernia repaired. I needed two full weeks. The antibiotics made me sick and I developed a side effect from the anti-nausea patch. My sight began to blur and even after taking the patch off it took two full days to return to normal. I took my pain meds but I was in pain and not just from the gas. But that's just me and my two cents.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Are you just getting the Lapband? I ask as it seems those that do have it easier.

I got the Lapband with plication and had a good sized hernia repaired. I needed two full weeks. The antibiotics made me sick and I developed a side effect from the anti-nausea patch. My sight began to blur and even after taking the patch off it took two full days to return to normal. I took my pain meds but I was in pain and not just from the gas. But that's just me and my two cents.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery.

Yes, the lapband only. Wow, so glad you are doing okay after all of that! Was your other pain besides gas from the incisions?

I think you'll be able to function. Just remember to take your gas ex regularly, any pain meds will help. If you don't want to be stoned on narcotics, ask your MD what OTC meds you can take. I was allowed Tylenol. Drink fluids.

Thanks Leepers...I will have to remember to ask my surgeon about OTC, as I will have to be limited to no narcotics until after I get home from work.

Edited by krps0930

there was another girl that had to go back to work really quick. her major problem was the movement of her port and the long incision. a suggestion to her was a back brace turned backwards or a abdominal binder. just to give some support so things dont move around. take some kind of pain medication even if its just extra strength tylenol. don't forget your Fluid. drink a lot. have some tea bags around so you can enjoy a nice hot cup of tea or coffee. i wish you lots of luck. you will be uncomfortable and i hope you can do this.

Great advice about the back brace, as I will not be able to carry a pillow around like I've seen suggested...hot liquids, will do...I hope I can too, thanks...I just keep telling myself that I was back to full time work and finishing my Masters 1.5 weeks after a C section, so I can handle this...but I may be assuming too much.