Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your life change for the better or worse post VSG?

The Pros -

1. I love my new body and the confidence it gives me.

2. It feels so good to be able to fit into (most) medium sized shirts (compared to XXL and some XXXL's) and a loose sz 14 jeans (compared to a tight 18, a snug 20 and a comfortable 22)

3. I lowered my cholesterol and blood pressure!

4. I haven't been back for a sleep study, but my sleep apnea seems to have dissipated. I'm no longer groggy in the morning and husband says I stopped snoring.

5. I've stopped hiding from cameras and floor length mirrors because the image doesn't make me sad anymore

6. My watches and bracelets aren't so tight they leave marks on my arms anymore.

7. I no longer feel self conscious because I know I'm the heaviest or one of the heaviest women in the room

8. I have a glow about me

I NEVER EVER though I would ever lose weight (I believed I would be that .1% the surgery didn't work for) but seeing myself be disciplined enough to do the Clear liquids pre-opt diet, follow each stage of my post-opt diet, then lose nearly 60lbs between October 2013 - March 2014 has inspired me to take control of other areas in my life such as:

1. Grad School: After 7 years of putting it off, I finally enrolled in graduate school and begin next month.

2. Therapy: I started going to therapy to get to the root of why I was eating so much. It's only been two months, but I am happier, more upbeat, less tired and my patience level is improving.

3.Clothes: I've started dressing better (not necessarily sexier, but instead of throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, I take my time to color coordinate and wear more stylish clothing).

4. Better hair style: I also have started doing my hair differently (when I was heavier, I wore my hair bone straight to try and make my face look smaller. Now, 60lbs down, I'm able to wear my hair in it's natural curly state because my face has thinned out and is more oval)

The Cons:

1. Every once in awhile I miss stuffing myself with food. I didn't know I was suffering from depression at the time, so food gave me comfort. It made me feel loved, safe, satisfied, etc.

2. Sometimes I resent my husband (I think it's a little twinge of jealously) when I see him piling his plate high with food and I've got a little, teeny, tiny dessert plate of food that I'm only able to eat half of

3. My surgeon said I need to wait 18 - 24 months to get pregnant (I turn 30 in a few months and would like to have had a baby sooner)

4. Sometimes I feel guilty, especially when I see other friends, family and coworkers struggling with their weight. Like the other day at Macy's my mom was complaining about her weight and how some of the clothes she liked didn't fit. I used to be able to commiserate with her.

Edited by Comfy_Blue

I'm 7 weeks out today, down 34 lbs and already feel better and wish I could have done this at 25 years old instead of 43. Best decision ever! I've wasted most of my youth and adult life feeling miserable over my weight. I'm so excited for this next year, and becoming happier and healthier. Soon I won't be entering a room and looking to see if I am the largest, that in itself will be awesome! The first 3 weeks were a little hellish- but looking back, it was a blurr.

After only 4 weeks, I played laser tag with my kids (teens)! And I ran! :). I felt so good! Not only was I ashamed to be seen with my kids previously because I was afraid they were embarrassed of me, but I could have also never run and hid and jumped out from behind objects before. I'm looking forward to many more of these times....especially after losing a lot more!!!

Edited by Steph W-O