Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Find another doctor and talk about options I had a few problems myself with my band but I had a revision and I'm doing great.

No, I never heard of gastric plication! I will look into it, thank you.

Here is another thought..... I don't know if they do this in Canada, but have you considered gastric plication? I had it done with my band, and it's supposed to dramatically reduce many band (alone) complications. I have not had any issues, but it's still early for me. At least with plication, they do not remove and staple 75% of your stomach. They fold it in on itself, and suture with two rows of non-disolving stitches. Basically, the size and shape of the stomach is that of the sleeve, without the permanence of removal.

MorrieKins - here is a link to info on the procedure. These days it's popular to have the band along with the plication....which is what I have. There are others on this site who have it also, and are doing very well.

http://www.tlcsurgery.com/education/bariatric-surgery-houston-tx/gastric-plication/

MorrieKins,

Not that it's relevant to your situation but I was wondering which company you dealt with for your band? I'm from Canada too.

I haven't had the same complications as you BUT there is NO way I would have my band removed. I would be too nervous about gaining the weight back. From an economical standpoint, it makes more sense to repair your band but you really have to go with your gut feeling on this. At a minimum, you need to find supportive medical professionals.

Why do you continue to post this old study of 74 patients operated on 15 years ago using flawed bands and evolving surgical techniques? You know very well that the product and surgical techniques have changed and newer studies show a 12% re-op rate compared to 9% for the sleeve. The slightly higher rate(3%) can easily be attributed to the fact that band patients can have their bands revised and it is so much harder or impossible if you're sleeved.

I'd have to agree with Jim1967 that odds aren't in your favor in regards to band replacement as you fully aware and the studies aren't great either:( Have you researched other WLS' ? vertical gastric sleeve, RNY, DS? Get somone like jim said that is a True Revision Surgeon that you can discuss the options. PLEASE decide what YOU think is BESY FOR YOU!! NOT the surgery that your Surgeon does. I hear too often that ppl allow their surgeon to decide their surgery. Problem is YOU live with it NOT them.

Best OF Luck!!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17593435

I urge you to discontinue using misleading studies. You're harming your own credibility and scaring patients who are researching WLS options with these unreliable studies.

tmf

I didn't realize that CREDENTIALS were an issue on this site since I haven't seen any posted from anyone before.

I am THRILLED though that someone realizes the 12% failure rate of the BAND since it's long been preached that it's only 5%.

Patient's researching WLS should be scared it's SURGERY.

And I was commenting to the OP who has already had 3 bands, with that statement alone something is wrong, it needs to be addressed and maybe they want to have the band removed for good, I don't know that is their choice.

But I do Agree that band technique has changed even the amount a band can hold 4cc vs. 14 cc but it's just as interesting that the COMPLICATIONS remain unchanged.

Edited by JACKIEO85

My vote is to work on your emotional tie to food first. That was my biggest handicap and the thing that ALWAYS set me back. No matter if I was banded, well-restricted, pre-banded, on a diet, etc. Bill Cashell writes with wonderful insight - a book called The Emotional Diet. It's so chock full of tools, that I honestly had to kind of pick what really worked for me because it was overwhelming to try and use all of it at once. But the fact that there is so much to choose from is great because if one thing doesn't work, you can go back and try something else or a combination of things.

The thing that has helped me the most with my emotions, though? EFT. You can find resources all over the internet for free that describe how to do it and you can even google "EFT for..." and fill in the blank with "emotional eating," "anxiety," "social anxiety," etc, and get specific scripts for specific issues.

I say work on your emotions first and get your head and heart straightened out before you make any concrete decision about what to do with your band. The fact that you had such a strong emotional reaction to the thought of being restricted by the band sounds SO familiar to my own struggles. I hope you can find your answers and get to a place where you can cope with this. I know it has been a long journey for me. I'm looking forward to getting rid of my band and giving myself a chance to do this on my own now that I have so many tools to help me that I did not have before.

Good luck with your decision.