Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to carry or not carry my 9 month old infant

I'm 7 days away from my surgery and the question that lingers in my head is, what am going to do about my 18 lb, 9 month old baby? I have my husband and mom to help me post op but its not the same. She's so attached to me. What did some of you parents do with little ones after surgery ? What about baby wearing did it help?

Most instructions would say no more than 10lbs for 2 weeks. But I'm sure it'll be difficult not to hold your baby.

What's your weight limit instructions? Mine was no more than 20 pounds for three weeks, so technically 18# would be OK, but I could definitely feel the pulling at my incision sites when I would lift stuff.

What's your weight limit instructions? Mine was no more than 20 pounds for three weeks, so technically 18# would be OK, but I could definitely feel the pulling at my incision sites when I would lift stuff.

I haven't received instructions on it yet.

Most instructions would say no more than 10lbs for 2 weeks. But I'm sure it'll be difficult not to hold your baby.

So its only the first 2 weeks theres a limit?

Ask your surgeon first of all. I have young twins at home who always want to be carried. I didn't pick them up for a while but tried to sit on the floor and the sofa with them on me as much as possible.

My daughter was a little over two years at the time of my surgery (I know not as needy for carrying as a 9 month old). The doctor said ABSOLUTELY no picking her up. But, to cater to the intamicy that child and mother need, I would lie down next to her and hug her, or my husband would put her in my lap. It wasn't that bad, and--before I knew it--the time had past and I could lift her again. As long as you have help, it'll be okay; but DO NOT risk your sleeve or your health. The time will pass quickly, it is not worth the risk. Make sure to ask you doctor about the weight limit and the time period!

My LO was 2 years old and about 30 pounds when I had surgery. To be honest, I did pick him up a couple of times. :mellow:

My restriction was not lifting/carrying my 26 pound 6-month-old for three weeks (nothing above 20 pounds). I could hold him if someone handed him to me, just not lift or carry. I was able to get some help in the first several days, but by the two-week mark, I had no help and no choice. I didn't carry him in his car seat, and only carried him when I absolutely had to.

My weight picking up restriction was for 6 weeks. Every dr is different, but def don't pick the baby up sooner than instructed.

My restriction was not lifting/carrying my 26 pound 6-month-old for three weeks (nothing above 20 pounds). I could hold him if someone handed him to me, just not lift or carry. I was able to get some help in the first several days, but by the two-week mark, I had no help and no choice. I didn't carry him in his car seat, and only carried him when I absolutely had to.

God bless you...a 26 pound 6 month old?!? :) I love a nice "fluffy" baby!

God bless you...a 26 pound 6 month old?!? :) I love a nice "fluffy" baby!

I do! He was a little over 9lbs at birth, and he's a nursing champ!