Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello ? about Mexico GLB

Hello my name is Dedee and I found this forum while doing research for Gastric Banding. I figured I would hang out and see what I could learn.

My history is, In 2005 I was going thru the process of having the RNY Gastric Bypass after about 6 months of support meeting and 2 of the 3 stages required for surgery approval my insurance denied me.:cry and:mad: I was devistated!!!! You see I am 5'9" and 425lbs and In desperate need of WLS. I was denied because I didnt have 3 consecutive yrs with weight DR. 8yrs of inconsecutive attempts and falures was not enough and oddly I had no medical need for the surgery. I am lucky to be in good health outher that obesity.

Well I am currently looking into self pay and exploring the possibility of going to Mexico for GLB I have about decided the RNY is to dangerouse and the GLB is cheaper when self paying.

Has anyone had there surgery in Mexico? This is what I am researching.

Hello my name is Dedee and I found this forum while doing research for Gastric Banding. I figured I would hang out and see what I could learn.

My history is, In 2005 I was going thru the process of having the RNY Gastric Bypass after about 6 months of support meeting and 2 of the 3 stages required for surgery approval my insurance denied me.:cry and:mad: I was devistated!!!! You see I am 5'9" and 425lbs and In desperate need of WLS. I was denied because I didnt have 3 consecutive yrs with weight DR. 8yrs of inconsecutive attempts and falures was not enough and oddly I had no medical need for the surgery. I am lucky to be in good health outher that obesity.

Well I am currently looking into self pay and exploring the possibility of going to Mexico for GLB I have about decided the RNY is to dangerouse and the GLB is cheaper when self paying.

Has anyone had there surgery in Mexico? This is what I am researching.

I had surgery in Mexico eight days ago. I would recomend it highly. I paid $8500. I loved the attention and care I recieved there. If you want more info the website is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com. The surgeon was awesome, as was the staff.

Welcome Deedee. There are lots of people on here that went to Mexico for surgery and are doing great. I am not one of them but be patient and they will answer your questions. As far as I am concerned the band is the way to go. Best of luck to you.:)

I went to Mexico and highly recommend it. The Mexico Dr.'s that I know of that have great reputations are Dr. Rumbaut, Dr. Kuri, Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Delajoya, Dr. Aceves. There maybe some I missed..but you can look up each doctor on his own webiste. I went to Dr. Rumbaut who has done over 4,500 band surgeries and has a band himself. The trick is to arrange after care in the states BEFORE surgery. Some U.S. doctors will not see Mexico patients. The hospital was first rate and high tech. :clap2:

Wow that is wonderful to here many members had there surgeries in Mexico. I appreciate the advise about setting up after care before surgery. I didnt think of that.

I'm currently looking into Dr.Jose Rodriguez in Acuna Mexico for $7,400.00 he has performed over 4000 lap bands I would have to go to San Antonio TX. and then go from there.

When I was going to have the RNY I educated myself greately on that surgery but I dont know to much about the Lap Band. I'm learning.

All advise will be greatly appreciated!;)

sounds like this will be a great place to learn.

DEDEE,

I had Lap Band surgery on Feb. 23, 2007 in Monterrey Mexico the surgeon there is Dr. Zapata. I had some worries about going to Mexico. After a month I can tell you this has been a great experience. As of today I have lost 20 lbs. I go for my first fill next Tuesday.

Dr. Zapata and the hospital in Mexico were top notch. Dr. Z was great and the hospital was the cleanest I have seen. I was told that this was the hospital that President Bush chose to go to if he needed one while in Mexico. Well I guess if it is good enough for the Pres. it is plenty good enough for me. I paid $6,990.00. That included a driver and car from the airport to the hotel and to the hospital, and back to the airport. 2 nights at the Sheraton Hotel and one night in the hospital and of course the surgery. Please,Please consider Dr. Zapata in Monterrey Mexico I don't think you will regret it.

DWILSON

I also had my lap band just a week ago in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Zapata. The only problem we encountered were outside of the hospital and motel with a language barrier but we managed. The group we worked with was Ready 4 a Change. Go to www.ready4achange.com for info. I paid $6990 plus air fair. They have different price levels that offer different things and also financial funding options. Check it out.

I'm set up to have surgery April 3rd, 2007 in Tijuana MX. Dr. Ortiz was the doctor I chose. One reason was it was cheaper to fly to San Diego airport (where they pick you up), and cross over to TJ. No passport needed. I did TONS of research on Dr. Ortiz, and I think I made a good decision. He has been on Discovery Health Channel, to talk about lap band surgery, and has proctored many surgeons in the US. He also did a satellite transmitted class for Yale. He has performed over 4000 surgeries to date, and was the first doctor Inamed designated to be a proctor surgeon. AND, if that's not enough, HE WROTE THE BOOK ON IT!

LOL

Seriously he wrote the book "Lap Band for Life" and my copy should be arriving anyday now. No matter which surgeon you choose, they say his book is a DEFINITE must read! Aceves, and Huacuz would have been my next choices! Whoever you decide on, just make sure YOU are comfortable with your decision. That is all that matters!:)

Good Luck,

Donna

ONE more thing! If you want to get more info about Dr. Ortiz, he has his own forum. It is www.lapbandforum.com It is VERY informative. His website is www.obesitycontrolcenter.com It has pictures of his brand new state of the art facility, and also the hotel they put you in while there. Both are VERY nice!

Best of Luck!

Donna

P.S. If you'd like pricing info, you can e-mail me personally at sparks2n2@yahoo.com

I had my lapband done by Dr. Huacuz in Tijuana. I paid 7500 and my own airfair. I was treated like a queen. My son went with me for support and he was treated just as well. They made sure he had his mocha and meals delivered everyday so he had no need to leave the center. it was a great experience. The staff is the best and the Dr Huacuz and his wife are true gems.

Note : I had posted I paid $6000.00 for my surgery but forgot to include the $1500. deposit my hubby paid. All together it cost 7500. sorry for the mistake.

I have set mine up w/ Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterry. Type in the bariatric and you can see his website. I had a friend who used him and she has lost 120 and says he is fabulous. Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip on Dr. Ortiz's book. I ordered it this am. from Amazon.com.< /div>

Great! I've heard that it is a great point of reference for anyone who has had lap band or is considering it. I think my copy is supposed to be here tomorrow! It better be! I'm tired of waiting!

Hope you enjoy, heck I hope we both enjoy it! LOL

Donna

Welcome DeDee

As you have already discovered, from the wealth of info and advice above...we are a VERY supportive community so if you need to know anything or just want someone to chat to...ask away...keep us posted on your progress...

:) becky