Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet protein shakes... Help?!

Hi all!! I started my 2 week liquid diet last Thursday and am having trouble with the Protein Shakes. I tried 2 different GNC pre made shakes. Taste wasn't bad but soooo sweet it's hard to imagine drinking more and they're so thin that I find myself hungry again 20 minutes later. I tried blending one with sugar free pudding and ice hoping to dilute and change the flavor but the consistency changed and it turned chunky; not good!! So, my question is, if I blend with ice and Protein Powder will I have better luck? I got some premiere Protein I'm getting ready to try but they're also pre made. I appreciate any advice!!

I prefer the powder type myself my Dr has the Syntax nectar in individual single serve packets so you can buy/try 1 of each flavor, look online if your Doc doesn't do this for similar options. Lots of pals say Unjury is the best too

Edited by SnohoGal98296

I'm not opposed to powder, just haven't been able to find individual packets to try before investing $25-35 on a bulk pack. I haven't even heard of the Syntax so will check that out. Thanks so much!!

I tried several kinds, pre-made and powder, and the only ones I liked were Premier Protein chocolate. They make a vanilla one as well but to me those had a grainy feel.

And the way I liked the Premier Protein pre-made ones was to keep them in the coldest part of the fridge, and when the need for one came up I'd shake it well then put it in the freezer for 30 minutes (freezer at home) or 55 minutes (freezer at work). The result was still liquid, but had ice shards in it. That's the way they tasted best to me. Sometimes I had to shake it a more than once after it came out of the freezer to get it to flow smoothly.

Keep on keepin' on - you can do this!

Edited by JeanZ

You can also call Syntrax and they will send you samples. I think it is 12 samples for $12 plus $1.99 shipping. I got mine last week. The number is 1-866-333-7403. Just ask for the nectar sample kit.

That is a smoking deal! My Doc had them for $1.95 each! So getting 12 for $13.99 is great, I might do that just to have some on hand :-D

I know! I am so glad someone told me about it. I did not want to buy big tubs of stuff and waste it because it was nasty, LOL. The samples they send are actually the single serving packages, and mine arrived in about a week. The send all different flavored, which is great. I like being able to try them. I have tried some Proteins that other people love, but that I couldn't stand.

I use unjury - you can buy single serving packs before you purchase a whole canister.

Are you allowed to add any fruit to your shake? The shakes are somewhat of a misnomer - they aren't like a thick milkshake. I found adding some low glycemic fruit (frozen strawberries or frozen berry mix) along with some ice will thicken them a little.

For my 2 week liquid pre-op diet I was only allowed about 1/4 cup of fruit per shake - I laughed when the NUT said that. Now, post op with now restrictions, I use 1/4 cup or less in a shake. I also found that adding 1/2 Water 1/2 1% milk helped with the texture.

Good luck to you!

<p>I use Unjury - you can buy single serving packs before you purchase a whole canister.</p> <p> </p> <p>Are you allowed to add any fruit to your shake? The shakes are somewhat of a misnomer - they aren't like a thick milkshake. I found adding some low glycemic fruit (frozen strawberries or frozen berry mix) along with some ice will thicken them a little.</p> <p> </p> <p>For my 2 week liquid pre-op diet I was only allowed about 1/4 cup of fruit per shake - I laughed when the NUT said that. Now, post op with now restrictions, I use 1/4 cup or less in a shake. I also found that adding 1/2 Water 1/2 1% milk helped with the texture.</p> <p> </p> <p>Good luck to you!</p>

No fruit for me now but look forward to it in the future! I've heard a lot about the Unjury, will have to check it out! Definitely calling for the Syntrax samples as well. Thanks for the helpful tips!!

Try using vanilla shake and adding some sf Jello in your favorite flavor. It thickens the shake and gives it a nice fruity flavor. I buy the small boxes of jello and add about a half pack to a 12oz shake. Want it thicker?? Refrigerate the shake for an hour or so before drinking. I like orange to make "dreamsicle" flavor.

Hi all!! I started my 2 week liquid diet last Thursday and am having trouble with the Protein Shakes. I tried 2 different GNC pre made shakes. Taste wasn't bad but soooo sweet it's hard to imagine drinking more and they're so thin that I find myself hungry again 20 minutes later. I tried blending one with sugar free pudding and ice hoping to dilute and change the flavor but the consistency changed and it turned chunky; not good!! So, my question is, if I blend with ice and Protein powder will I have better luck? I got some premiere protein I'm getting ready to try but they're also pre made. I appreciate any advice!!

try a powder whey protein in a flavor u like. I get vanilla from Walmart then add chobani Greek yogurt, skin milk, powder and blend this will give u a Wendy's frosty consistency. Or you can buy Unjury protein and they have unflavored protein powder or chicken broth protein powder you can get that kind from unjury.com I suggest buying the starter kit from them for $20 it's a sampling of different favors hope this helps

I tried several kinds, pre-made and powder, and the only ones I liked were Premier Protein chocolate. They make a vanilla one as well but to me those had a grainy feel. And the way I liked the Premier Protein pre-made ones was to keep them in the coldest part of the fridge, and when the need for one came up I'd shake it well then put it in the freezer for 30 minutes (freezer at home) or 55 minutes (freezer at work). The result was still liquid, but had ice shards in it. That's the way they tasted best to me. Sometimes I had to shake it a more than once after it came out of the freezer to get it to flow smoothly. Keep on keepin' on - you can do this!

Ditto!