Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've been thinking =/

Ohh okayyy

If you struggle with food NO WLS is going to "fix" that, get your head straight first.

I think you've already realized that a 2nd band isn't the answer and with what you posted about having an abcess etc. it "might' not be possible?

Besides the studies don't support 2nd banding, I 'd put the link here but it would just get bashed to death.

I'm sure your aware but revision to a sleeve will be slower weight loss and the actual long term WL results are better with the RNY=Bypass.

Just depends on if you can/do take supplements due to the Mal absorption.

I don't promote any 1 surgery over another it's your decision, But it's best to RESEARCH all the options, studies then decide WHAT YOU can live with!!! Your Doctor's NOT having the Surgery YOU ARE. GOOD LUCK

I was contemplating the sleeve and the lap band. I'm on two meds for reflux and my Doc said the sleeve would not be good if you have reflux. He said my best options are the gastric bypass or the lap band. Since the lap band is less invasive I'm going that route. I've been doing A ton of research and on this website daily reading all the posts try to get more informed. I plan on getting banded the beginning of May. Good luck to you.

I love my band, haven't had any complications, but if I had to do it again or have a redo, I'd definitely consider the sleeve. The bypass? Not a chance. As a nurse in hospital and later in home health and hospice I've seen some ugly by products of the bypass. In all of those cases, pts were either very heavy and malnourished or 80 lbs or so and malnourished. And the problems they has were nearly always irreversible. Another thing I've read recently is that intussusception is more common in bypass than originally known or reported. That alone would be enough to stop me.

That's what I'm doing now is doing my research...then ask my doctor for his opinion. Get more information at his office. I had reflux when I had the band, only if it was too tight.... so *sigh* I don't know what to do...

That's what I'm doing now is doing my research...then ask my doctor for his opinion. Get more information at his office. I had reflux when I had the band, only if it was too tight.... so *sigh* I don't know what to do...

you should definitely view it closely as I understand reflux with sleeve is very common, my surgeon says due to the removal of the fundus of the stomach.

Erin, have you considered Plication? It is supposed to be effective and, if it doesn't work out for you, it is fully reversable. If, for some reason I lost my band and had the opportunity to revise, I would push to revise to a plication procedure. It may be something that could be good for you. :)

Plication?

Oh I searched it right after I posted that lol so its basically the sleeve without having half of your stomach removed

I just weighed myself today just to see where I'm at and I'm at the highest weight I've ever been....244!!!

I told my mom about plication and she just sighed. She was like "you're not even trying, I feel like you're just going to go straight to surgery"

I was and am trying. I was writing what I was eating and tracking down the calories. Making sure I kept it under 1500 or 1200. Trying to wallk. But I wasn't even losing and I didn't feel a difference in my clothes. I did this for like a month... so annoying. I kind of feel like I'm being held back. Keeps saying we're going to eat heathier and write down what we eat and exercise....that was back in january and still haven't. None of my family wants me to get surgery again, but I'm so sick of being over weight and just keep gaining with no support anyway. And they said they've been suppoting me since the begining, they were but not tough enough. Sorry ranting a bit

Don't be sorry. Totally understand. You have to do what's best for you. You have to live in your body, not anyone else. Good luck to you.

So, I just spent some time looking back on some of your past posts and struggles. I feel for you. Being so young, it has to be very difficult to fit this WLS lifestyle into your life? Family pressures seem to be so much more exaggerated at your age too.

From what I gleamed from your last 3 years is that you've had a difficult time eating like a bander should eat? Maybe eating too many slider type foods, or fast foods? And your band slipped? Abscess?

No matter which surgery you decide on or if you decide on one, they will all require you to avoid fast foods, slider foods, unhealthy foods. None of the WLS can stop you from eating around the surgery.

I can't really recommend just the band for you though? I would think the band with plication or just the sleeve would be a better choice? And only if you eat healthy and within the rules for each.

Maybe your family understands your weaknesses better than you and certainly better than anyone here? I'm sure someone else has recommended this before but here it is again. Seek some professional help(counseling) before you make your next decision. I'd recommend someone your bariatrics doctor recommends. Best of luck.

tmf

2muchfun:

I was trying, I was starting to actually get the hang of it before it had slipped. It could have been from all the puking I did in 2012, it was like constant, whenever we did go out to eat, none of my friends besides one or two knew about my surgery and I didn't want the others to know, so I didn't take my time eatting and caused myself t get food stuck. But in 2012, I met a friend and I have never had fast food as much as I did that year and last year. The fast food like you said and plus the puking should have been the reason for my slippage. The surgeon somehow caused the abscess, I believe.

When I first got the band, I was doing what I was supposed to do. take 30 minutes to eat, chew very well, drink only Water or diet tea, gatorade, took my Calcium and Multivitamins. I walked a lot, I would go for walks with friends and family. Then I got way off track and couldn't get back on the tracks. Now that my band is gone, I've fell into the deep end. Depression kicked in more and very stressed. I'm a stressful eater and I eat when I am down. I also tend to go for the junk. I turn to food even if I do talk to someone.

I do have a therapist for my depression. Started going to Therapy in July 2012. We do talk about my weight, I bring it up because it is one of the reasons that caused my depression in the first place.

I don't know. I want to try these supplements called 5-HTP, BCAAs, and Spiralina and Probiotics (but can just get it from yogurt or fresh milk from a cow).

I wish my mindset was easier to get with it.

I wish I could stop wishing and start doing.

No one ever said it was easy....I know. I just don't know why I am or my mind is SO stubborn.

Yeah I know WLS isn't a quick fix or whatnot. I do know it isn't a magical "cure". You have to do your part and if you do your part, the "tool" will do it's part.

I have wakeup calls all the time:

• won't beable to have kids
  • won't fit into a beautiful wedding dress
  • will never beable to wear a bikini or nice clothes
  • clothes are getting tighter
  • I can die
  • Going to keep gaining

ETC.

Why isn't this scaring me?

It's almost like my mind wants to stay fat and un-healthy. Almost like my mind doesn't want to do the work and wants everything to do it for me. That's not the case though because I do want to work out, I do want to eat healthier, I do want to achieve my goals etc. I feel lazy because I feel like a part of me is missing. I used to like doing all of these fun things and getting out there. I've been taking B-complex Vitamins and its a metabolism support Vitamin and supposed to give energy? I don't know, I don't really feel any different. I feel like maybe I am anemic, but the doctor took blood work and it said I wasn't. I'm thinking I don't know, that I am lacking some kind of nutrient?

If I got the Plication surgery, I would definitely have myself watch what I eat and makesure I follow the rules.

Edited by Erin18

-forgot to add that I don't eat Breakfast and sometimes I won't eat until dinner, but then I'll eat and snack until I go to bed. But I've always did this, skip Breakfast and lunch, eat dinner a snack and one more snack. Or two. Then go to bed. I used to never snack all through the night when everyone was to bed. I do now. But when I had the band I didn't eat as much especially before I met one.of.my friends. And I didn't snack as much and I tried eatting breakfast and lunch even if it was just a yogurt or a cheese stick or Soup.

I never had as much fast food before the band or with the band as I do now. Its just that my friend is super skinny and hes always hungry, so I take him, we used to go every time we hung out. We barely hang out now so we don't go as much. Another MAJOR thing is soda, soda, soda!!. Omg I drink a lot of soda now that I don't have the band!!. I avoided soda when I had the band unless it was like fountain or Mt. Dew which I only had like 2 to 3 times a month!

Everything skyrocketed since the removal.

Would I be jumping the gun if I said that maybe I should just get the surgery?