Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slow losers I want to hear from you!

So I am officially a slow loser. Anyone else? I read so much about people who lost tons of weight really fast but I don't hear much about people losing slow. I know they exist. I mean I'm one of them so I know there has to be more. I had surgery on Nov 18 and I had lost 19 pounds in the 6 weeks prior to surgery. A week after surgery I hit stall for probably 3 weeks It was very frustrated but finally the scale started moving again and I felt better. So in the 9 weeks since surgery I have lost about 25 pounds. At first I felt very defeated since I kept reading about people dropping tons of weight really quick. Now I have come to terms with it. I'm doing everything the right way so as long as the scale keeps going down then i'm ok with it.

I am a slow loser compared to many, but I also attribute some of the differences to my age and my height. I've noticed that younger and taller lose much faster than I do. So, I work pretty hard to not compare myself. And to be honest, I'm happy that I'm losing ANY weight, so I try not to be too negative about my 1 pound per week (sometimes less if I'm stalled out), and stay happy in the fact that I weigh less than I have in like 8 years, and that I'm fitting into much smaller clothes already.

I just started my 5th month post op, and I've basically lost 1/3 of the weight I want to lose in the long term. My plan is to keep on keepin' on, and kick the old me to the curb. Oh and keep saving for the plastics that I already know I'm gonna need!!! :)

ETA: I also try to keep in mind that it took me 20 years to gain this weight and if it only takes me 2 years to lose it all, I'll be super happy! And, although I am losing pounds on the scale slowly, I am still losing inches pretty steadily. It's an exciting time even if I sometimes want to just scream at my scale in frustration.

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

I have come to terms with the fact that I am a slow loser. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

I had surgery on 10/17. Lost 17 pounds in 17 days. Pretty much every pound since then has been earned slowly.

I am currently down 44 pounds and I'm about 14 weeks out. The stalls last longer than the periods of loss.

I didn't get fat overnight and I guess I won't get thin overnight, either. Sadly, I won't be one of those people who lose 100 pounds in 6 months. I just keep working the plan and the weight IS coming off. Just slower than I'd hoped.

Hang in there. My misery loves your company :-)

I'm only 5 weeks out, but kinda looks like I might be a slow loser... Nothing the first 10 days, then A total of just 9 pounds since surgery. But like others said, it didn't go on overnight, it won't come off overnight. Slower weight loss may actually be beneficial for me since I have family history of gallstones, and I'll take anything to help prevent gallbladder problems.

I was sleeved in August and down 47 pounds, most of it lost in the first 6 weeks. Since Nov. I've only lost 3 pounds.

I define slow loser as someone who's weight loss rate is slower than 2 lb a week average. I average about 5 or 6 lb a month. my monthly pattern goes something like 3 lbs the week after my period, 2 lb the next week, then stall till after my period. It varies some, I found noticing a pattern helped me stop feeling so frustrated.

I'm a slow loser...it's my penalty for yo-yo dieting for 25 years and ruining my metabolism.

So, I work hard and follow my plan. I work out like a fiend a the gym and claw and scrape for every ounce of weight I have lost.

You're going at it with the right attitude - the only thing you can control is what you put in our mouth and your level of effort. You're body is going to lose weight at it's pace.

Best of luck to you

50 pounds from 7/22 to 12/29.......2 pounds 12/30 -present. : (

I feel as if I am a slow looser too. I was sleeved 07/01 and am down 69 pounds as of today. I read of people sleeved after me that have lost in excess of 100 pounds. Makes me frustrated and sad but if I have to loose 1-2 pounds a week so be it.

I am only 5 weeks post-op and have been losing faster than some but less than others. Have any of you slow losers tried to mix things up? Make sure your basics are covered: Water, Protein and Vitamins. Then try changing your workout, add intervals to treadmill biking or elliptical. If you are doing mostly cardio add some strength training. If you always use the same equipment try something new. For your diet try not eating before you workout, try bumping up your calories after a few days in a stall,anything to trick your body.

I am only 5 weeks post-op and have been losing faster than some but less than others. Have any of you slow losers tried to mix things up? Make sure your basics are covered: Water, Protein and Vitamins. Then try changing your workout, add intervals to treadmill biking or elliptical. If you are doing mostly cardio add some strength training. If you always use the same equipment try something new. For your diet try not eating before you workout, try bumping up your calories after a few days in a stall,anything to trick your body.

Great thoughts!!!

12 weeks monday and down 45 lbs. I go usually half the month not losing then loose a few lbs. Been in a stall 2 weeks now. I'm still super excited. Thats 45 lbs I couldn't have lost myself! Chins up!!!

I was sleeved on 11/13 and have lost 32 lbs so far. I lost quickly the first few weeks after surgery but now I have this crazy pattern going. I stall anywhere for 7-12 days then quickly lose 3 lbs then stall again for the 7-12 days then over another two days lose 3 lbs again. When I have those stalls I try everything to break it by upping Water, upping Protein. I sometimes eat the same thing so that might be a culprit too. I eat almost no carbs and am still drinking two shakes a day because I can only take in 2 oz of protein at a time. I wish it were faster but I'll take it. Still feel 1000 times better than anything done in the past.

I'm not sure I agree with the definitions of losing slowly, above. Most of us are still relatively new at this, and things taper off. Based on the definitions above I am a slow loser, but I disagree with that assessment.

I had my 3 month check up last week and the PA basically called me a superstar. I lost 4 or 5 pounds during the month of January overall; but at one point early I dipped down to about 1.5 pounds over my current weight and popped right back up to the previous weight for almost 3 weeks.

However, my weight loss overall is about 46 pounds in 13 weeks. I exercise regularly, and track well. We lose all perspective here when we expect it to come off quickly or compare ourselves to others.

I have a good friend who was sleeved in June and she really is a slow loser. She has lost 50 pounds total, but she stalled at 40 during months 3-5. She had to increase her exercise to an hour a day to move things lower. That stall finally broke and she has started losing in little increments again. But the point is, 7 months later, she is down 50 pounds. She has NEVER lost 50 pounds before without making it a full time job.

We all need to have patience.

While I define myself as a slow loser, I'm trying REALLY hard to not compare myself to others - it is so hard not to, it's human nature...

My path to 256 pounds is mine alone - as is everyone else's path. We all got here via different methods, but we are here nonetheless. Similarly, in our weight loss, we are all doing it different and our sleeves are individuals as well.

I interact with people that were sleeved before me that can't eat as much as me and there are sleevers that were sleeved after me that can eat much more. Some exercise, some don't. Some eat foods that are higher in fat or bad carbs than others.

I thought about it yesterday and I realized I'm at a lower weight than I have been in about 13 years. That's a lot of years! I'm wearing clothes today from 13 years ago and they fit better today than they did back then. My body has changed - I've always had a big a$$, now it's more proportionate. I think it's because I'm getting rid of fat, where before I was probably losing lean muscle mass by reducing calories and not working out.