Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can you eat pickles?

Hello. I am just curious if those who have been sleeved for a while have been able to eat pickles. As a pickle lover I am concerned about this.. haha!

also during puree or mushy stage, anyone have any must eat things that they loved?

I havent really found any creamed Soups that have enough Protein to eat. I was thinking about taking some turkey meatballs and puree them with a jar of gravy and then spoon over a couple spoons of potatoes. sounds amazing to me! :)

anyone have anything in the begining that JUST DID NOT work? that tasted horrid or didnt agree with them?

I am 11 days post and worried about eating. I have tried cottage cheese and it rumbles a little in my tummy but I figure thats normal at first right?

I have no problem with pickles.

Didn't try them right away but do enjoy one now and then:)

pureed and soft foods...I LOVED egg drop Soup. I STILL eat a LOT of egg drop soup...but now I can get WONTON egg drop Soup. lol When I got to soft foods, I would add the crunchy noodles, too, but wait until they softened in the broth before eating them.

I loved pickled foods, in general, and have not had one issue with them but didn't really started eating them again until at least 2 months out.

Taste buds are so different after surgery! Pickles(sour/dill) are fine, but they do have a lot of salt, and some people have problems digesting the skin part. Sauerkraut is good too... and good for the intestinal flora. Keep it simple early out... give that tummy a really good head start healing. Did your Doc/Nut give you a list of foods for the different stages? I could not even eat cottage cheese at 11 days... but split pea Soup, pureed bean Soups, strained cream of mushroom were all good, use your Protein Drinks for Protein, and the soups for yummyness. Really that early out, its about getting your Water first, then protein, then the rest. You will be able to eat EVERYTHING in a few months, so just take it slow. Take it easy. I like the Gravy idea, I would watch the pureed meat content... turkey can be really dry.... maybe soft roasted pureed chicken? Whatever your Doc said.... I liked refried Beans and cheese (after 2 weeks). My problem was things tasted too sweet... and I have a sweet tooth! The protein drinks were sickly to me... but i drank them like medicine to get my protein. Later, I started to like them again, and now at 3 years out, I still use them now and then to get my protein up. You can get protein hot chocolate and chicken soup as well... those might be nice early on....

At 5 months I'll eat a pickle and am fine but only if I have calories left I can spare. :) For the creamy Soup I put unflavored Protein Powder in mine to get some Protein in.

I usually start out with one 8oz glass of Water first thing in the morning 6am. then I have a Protein shake around 7 or so. that shake is about 25 grams of Protein. I then try and drink 2-3 8oz glasses of Water before lunch. this morning I had the cottage cheese at 11. 1/4 cup.( 7 grams of protein) ate it slow. It rumbles but so does broth when I drink that. I am sipping on beef broth now, and then at 3 will have a 33 gram Protein Shake. Then I should be able to have something for dinner, and a protein pudding for a bed time snack. I continue to drink my other 4 8oz glasses after lunch until bed time.

I was just looking for some ideas of pureed foods or mushy food to sample. :)

Do you buy the egg drop Soup already made?

I am only preop but I have a suggestion about the creamed Soups. Have you considered adding unflavored Protein powder? You can add it to soups, oatmeal, hot Cereal, broth, sugar free pudding, etc. I ordered some from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury because I heard you can barely notice the taste of it. Just be sure not to heat up your soups TOO hot because the powder will clump in the liquid.

I can eat pickles. But I did not try them until almost 3 months out because I knew they could be difficult to digest.

I can eat anything. Anything! It just takes time to get there.

I have pickles every time I go eat Jewish Deli. I love some sour and half sour pickles!

Have yet to have an issue with food since surgery.

Edited by Tikvah

I'm 6 months out, love pickles but they don't love me. My stomach starts gurgling and making all kinds of noises.