Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How often do you poop? Don't be shy!

I am a bout 9 weeks post op and I am having trouble pooping regularly. I mean I am only going maybe once every 4 or 5 days. It is very uncomfortable when I do finally go and I always have to use some intervention. Like milk of magnesia, or Smooth Move tea or an enema. How about every body else?

I am an every day kind of woman, at least since about five days after surgery. I think most of that is being lucky -- I've never had issues in that department, before surgery or after. But I do try to take some steps every day to, ah, keep things moving. I wasn't able to do all of these things immediately post-op, what with being on full liquids for 3 1/2 weeks etc., but I have added them in as I was allowed:

• chewable pro-biotic
  • drink at least a cup of black coffee
  • eat a couple of prunes or have a small serving of Beans or both
  • get close to my RDA of Fiber, which is 14 grams of fiber per 1000 calories consumed (the widely quoted "25 grams of fiber" is based on the assumption that you are eating 1800 calories per day or something like that). If necessary I use a fiber supplement - I go with the Equate sugar free fiber powder, which is the same fiber as in Benefiber but cheaper, fewer calories and fewer carbs. I am able to do this while keeping my carbs under 60 and my Protein over 75, but I have to work at it.
  • meet my Fluid goals
  • exercise daily

My Dr says that is quite normal and was a question of mine. He says 2-4 days everyone is different but as long as it is consistent.. remember your only eating 1000 calories per day if that and in my case i work out like 500-600 per day. So my net is very small..

I do take probiotic to assist and i just started a cleanse a few days ago and i have gone everyday. The cleanse helps but im almost at goal and i am just trying to take off the last 10-15lbs

Chris

Pre opt, I pooped 2 - 3 times a day (and loved it!). Post opt, I poop once ever 2 - 3 days. In the beginning it was hard because my belly would hurt and I'd feel like I needed to poo, but nothing would come out. Now it doesn't really bother me so much. Usually, the night before I feel a little gassy. Then the next morning I can go.

Nutritionist said it's completely normal b/c I used to eat a lot more and now what was one meal is now 2 or 3 meals for me (ie: i never can finish my lunch at work, so i always end up eating part of it for dinner)

Pooping is a tricky subject and you have to be very careful. I've been using enemas to poop and not taking stool softeners. Thought I was fine. Then, the poop decided to come down on its own and was IMPACTED. 3 days of sheer hell getting that out. I've learned the hard way that stool softeners are absolutely essential.

Between hitting the magical age of 40 and having a VSG things have been hard to say the least. ;-)

Joking aside, I found if I keep up my Fluid intake and take Acai Cleanse pills on a regular basis I go probably once every two days. My nut wants me to eat 100g Protein a day (yes, i said 100g) which just makes the issue worse. Milk of Magnesia helps if the log jam becomes too crazy.

Remember,at this point in the game you have less in, so there will be less out. Don't stress. You are going to be fine.

I still goonce a day as I did before but I have to help it along....I take Iron everyday so that doesn't help...but I take fiber (gummies since I amonly 5 weekspost op) and coffee.....all my Water daily and a chewable chia Omega 3

Twice a week. And I also take Colace daily.

Seems to be an issue for many including myself. What has worked fantastic for me as of late is taking a daily probiotic; it is amazing. Colace also runs a close second as it is very gentle and can create a daily movement.

Every day.

Fiber from fiber one Cereal helps the most for me.

Second best remedy is caffeine (it stimulates the smooth muscle for bowel movement). Just be careful about depending too much on caffeine for a daily BM as your body will down regulate after a while.

Occasionally, I will miss the regularity despite doing the right things. I either wait it out or use Miralax. If still having trouble, I will drink some MoM.

I'm lucky if it's every other day, but it generally runs 3 to 5 days. I take fiber gummies daily and have Milk of Magnesia on hand (I hate that stuff but if you don't want to get impacted...). I sure wish it was more often, but with all this Protein, it's a challenge.

I'd like to thank everyone for their honest input on such a "tough" topic. This is helpful to me as well as I last went on Monday, and today is Friday, I've been adding benefiber to my drinks, but don't think I'm drinking enough. I'm only 8 days post op.

I am now going to add colace. Sounds likes its OK to take colace everyday.

Thanks everyone!

I'm 1-2 times per week without "assistance"

I was taking Colace every day, but the doc wants a more natural approach. So I'm taking a good quality pro-biotic and Metamucil every day. Also increasing my low-glycemic veggies and fruits has helped move things a long.

I think every other day will be where I end up.

You really want to avoid becoming impacted - that's bad news!

I am over one month post op and have only gone about 3 times. I have tried everything besides MOM which I am trying tonight. I hope I am not too impacted.