Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have the Mirena?

So I am getting the mirena today because it was required for me in order to get WLS... I'm a little nervous because I have read countless forums where women have reported gaining weight and not being able to keep off the weight with the Mirena iud. My question for you is do you have a mirena? And if so have you noticed it is harder to lose or maintain weight with it?

I had mirena placed by choice couple months pre op and I'm 18 months now and love it!!! No problems ever. Didn't gain weight pre op due to it and nothing interfered post op. Best decision ever. I'm an active mirena lover :)

Yay thank you! Glad someone replied lol and on a positive note, alright headed to my appointment now!

I have the Mirena. While it hasn't caused weight gain there are a lot of other side effects. I suffer from sever Migraines which the Mirena made worse. It's been five months and I still suffer from breakthrough bleeding everyday along with horrible cramps when real period comes. I plan on getting mine removed after my surgery. If it wasn't for the Mirena rendering my Migraine medication ineffective and worse I would keep it longer. Give my body more time to adjust to it.

So, TMI, but the more a absolutely destroyed the intensity of my orgasms!!!! My gyn said I was nuts but as soon as I had it taken out they went back to normal. Also, ultra sensitive breasts for the 9-10 months I had it....

I have the Mirena along with hormone Patches. Mine was given to balance out hormones when I developed peri-menopausal symptoms.

This is my second Mirena coil and I have never had a problem with it at all. I think I can safely say that any weight gain I had was not due to the Mirena.

Good luck

X

I had the mirena for one year & had it removed two years ago. Well, actually it partially fell out. It didn't really affect my weight, meaning I didn't notice a gain. However, I did lose 10 lbs after having it removed. Weird. I experienced cramping & heavy periods the entire year I had it. Probably due to it dislodging itself. (Idk may be the hubby's fault lol) I've found that everyone's experience with it is entirely different. No one is the same. My suggestion would be to ask for an ultrasound regularly, if possible, to ensure it's in its proper location. Good luck to ya!

I had the Mirena for years and loved it. The hormones stay in your uterus and don't go through the rest of your body. Lots of our hormones are wacky from extra weight, which can cause many of the symptoms you guys are blaming on the Mirena. Not saying you are wrong but it is something to think about.

Doctors are mostly by the textbook. Experience ones should know that real life medical problems rarely happen like they're taught in their books. Unfortunately it leaves patients to suffer and made to feel life it's all in their head. Like back in the old days when PMS was thought to be. Doctors tell you that the hormones is so low and centralized it can't cause any side effects. I call BS on that. Not only is it impossible for anything in the universe to be 100% accurate, some women just can't handle any hormones. Science prove themselves often and medication are recalled all the time. Too bad the latter happen after it caused harm to many. And ladies never let anyone make you feel like your the problem. Were are a capitalist society driven by big pharmaceutical companies selling their goods. Mirena does have a lawsuit out there too. So your not alone.

I couldn't tolerate any of the oral contraceptives I had tried and my gyn did tell me there is a possibility the mirena may be coming off the market completely and that if that happened the Skyla would still be offered and the paraguard but having my body reject everything else I decided to give it a try. Hopefully it works for me.

The only problem I could see with the Mirena Coil is not with the coil itself, but with the the person inserting it. Not enough training.

Xx

Two years ago when I first considered it my pcp who is a np said she could insert it in office (I have kaiser)... Now kaiser only allows obgyns and few mds to do it.

Two years ago when I first considered it my pcp who is a np said she could insert it in office (I have kaiser)... Now kaiser only allows obgyns and few mds to do it.

That true. Twice I had to reschedule because Ob/Gyn was in surgery. A month earlier I had a sonogram so the doc said they had my measurements. Everyone is different. I really wanted to like the Mirena. I can't do other BC because of my history of blood clots on them and I turn into a psycho.

I've had one for about a year. The insertion was very painful. For the first 3 mos. I had cramping and bleeding every day. I have continued to lose weight though and after about 3 mos the cramping and bleeding subsided and I now only have light cramps and spotting for a couple days a month for my period. I'm happy with it now but the first 3 mos. were rough.