Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Eaters.....How are you coping?

I am 6 months out from my surgery and realizing that i miss my friend, my comforter....food! I know that I have always been an emotional eater and now that it is nearly impossible for me to turn to food for comfort, I am really strugging emotionally. My PCP has prescribed me and anti-depressant, even though Im not depressed. I have really bad anxiety and it helps with that. Has anyone else found that they are struggling with handling emotions post-surgery??? How are you coping?

Everyday!!!! I'm a month out and been having money and relationship issues.. It's rough. I find myself thinking about places I want to stop and eat at on my way home from work and remember oops I can't have that!! ): deff not fun. I guess I'm not really coping with it as well as I though haha but working out has deff helped a lot!

Everyday!!!! I'm a month out and been having money and relationship issues.. It's rough. I find myself thinking about places I want to stop and eat at on my way home from work and remember oops I can't have that!! ): deff not fun. I guess I'm not really coping with it as well as I though haha but working out has deff helped a lot!

I have ha the same issue, and still do. It is hard. But when I'm feeling emotional and I drive and think of all these places and eat, I just think about how my stomach will make me pay for it (i did try more than once, and the memory of how I feel when I even have one bite of something I shouldnt or when I'm not hungry, it gets easier)

What a question! I've always been an emotional eater and the first few months were an emotional roller coaster. I still have the occasional "binge" but its pathetic and doesn't "satiate" me. I have no choice but to practice yoga and meditate daily now and acknowledge (avoid) my triggers. Daily Journalling, MFP, Yoga, Meditation and total honesty keep me aware.

Never thought I'd say this (I was always blown away by people who said this before) I Run!

Sure I am only six weeks out and it's only couch to 5k right now but I am on week 2. Now I am not one of those who gets into a blissed out "zone" from running and the endorphin release (maybe one day?) BUT it totally takes me into a place that demands my full attention and whatever I was stressing about goes away.

I am almost two weeks out and today I found myself in deep emotional trouble however I didn't want to do anything but eat. I never thought I was an emotional eater until all I wanted to do was eat when I felt sad and angry. I always thought I just ate because I wanted to but I guess if that was true I wouldn't have needed wls.

I still miss food sometimes. I have developed a whole slew of coping mechanisms that don't involve food.< /p>

1. If I can confront the issue, I do. Sometimes saying no to someone, telling them they hurt me, etc. It's a work in progress because I prefer avoidance. I'm a runner not a fighter.

2. If I need a lift, I call a friend, play a game, apply lotion and lipgloss (it's the scent and smooth feel), or go outdoors.

3. I do more reading and game playing. Watching TV for hours leaves my hands free. Not good for me.

4. When I feel I deserve a treat, I try to pick something healthy like a yummy low cal drink, fresh fruit, or I buy myself something, even something small like a new pen or cute notepad.

Lynda

Distraction helps me too. Staying busy with other things. I'm newly sleeved so I'm not an expert on any of this. My family eats out or on the run often. That may decrease with my surgery, but it's not going to stop - that's reality. I sort of wanted to take the bull by the horns and I've "eaten out" (not really, just soup) a few times already. I thought it would be hugely anxiety inducing but just wanted to face my fears. It's hard but I am stronger than my "wants". I am not going to avoid my fears. I can't eat bad stuff this early on so maybe this won't work for me later but I feel like it's immersion therapy. For me, I just keep exposing myself to it and do a lot of positive self talk in my head while I'm going through it - the smells, the thoughts of how good something taste, the comfort it used to bring. Acknowledging the anxiety but not acting on it. But my self talk is also about the consequences of that food. It works for me. Not saying its easy because It's not easy. But, if I avoid this, I'm actually more anxious about it. if I take it straight on, my anxiety decreases. This is all such a journey! I really want to switch my compulsion to exercise. I've been in that place a long time ago where you get that high from it. It's been a long time but it did feel good. Can't wait to start that again.

I see a therapist for this. Well, I have Binge Eating Disorder, but the emotional connection to food before surgery was extremely strong! I don't think I could have gotten through surgery and these last four months post-op without therapy. I notice you live in New York. I live in New Jersey, and if you'd like help finding a therapist who specializes in eating behaviors, please let me know! I can give you some fantastic references!

... I live in New Jersey, and if you'd like help finding a therapist who specializes in eating behaviors, please let me know! I can give you some fantastic references!

I live in NJ too (Sparta/Sussex County). I'm seeing a therapist, as I too struggled with binge eating. But if you'd be so kind as to send me your therapist references, I'd appreciate it! I like the one I have now, but I'd like to have as many options as possible.

Be well...

Hi Naya,

I won't lie and say it's been easy. The majority of the time, I'm okay, but there are those times that I miss my old frienemy and we have a little reunion.

I was a bit depressed this week because I caught a really bad cold. I know that sounds silly, but understand that prior to my procedure, I used to catch 1 -2 colds a month (I'm a first grade teacher) because all I ever ate was fast food. Now, I'm eating a lot of fruits, veggies and my immune system has become much stronger. I haven't been sick in 3.5 months. Then, outta nowhere I'm knocked on my ass by a severe cold.

I had to take off Thursday and Friday due to my illness, and Wednesday night into Thursday I found myself emotional eating because I was so bummed about my cold.

Granted I wasn't eating large portions, but for my sleeve it was a lot because I normally eat 3 meals a day and 2 Snacks. The food was a comfort but it also made my belly hurt and I actually pooped Thurs and Fri which is rare for me because eating so little food, I usually poop every other day or every third day.

Anyhow, on Friday morning I weighed myself and saw my weight had gone up from 182.5 to 183.2. It may have just been a coincidence, but that helped me to reign it back in.

People say you shouldn't weigh yourself daily, but I do because it helps make me accountable and when I start to emotional eat, I think about my numbers going up on the scale. I also want to watch my weight.

When I gained 100lbs I barely ever got on the scale, nor did I pay much attention to how my clothes fit. I'd tell myself I was just "bloated" that day or the sz 12 jeans were cut wrong which is why I needed a sz 14(then 16, 18, 20 and almost a 22)

I've been very depressed since ive come home from the hospital ...I always ate when I was bored or idle...yesterday I cried for the first time because I'm day 7 of my 14 day post op

Clear liquid diet..i was sleeved on 3/24/14...this is probably the worst emotional roller coaster I have ever been through in my entire life..and I've already been taking anti anxiety/depression medication for years...there is nothing more aggravating then thinking of food when you can't have it..im not physically hungry, but emotionally I'm starving..I tried box and boullion broth and both turn my stomach from smell and taste...you're not alone love...hang in there!

I have been working with a counselor who specializes in eating disorders since before my surgery and that has helped a lot!

This is a valuable conversation. I have to admit that I haven't had to deal with it much. That is not to say that I haven't been slipping back into old habits on occasion. Because that would be a lie and I participate here to be honest and hold myself accountable. I find though, that when I try to medicate what ever needs to be comforted that it is not working, because I cannot over-eat...and that was the key to the old me. I could and would eat enormous amounts of food, binging to make myself feel good only to hate myself later. Now I cannot do that...and that sometimes kills me! My medication is gone. So now I guess distraction is the key. I often deny and find something else to keep me busy until the longing subsides. It is not the best plan, and I admit I need to find healthier ways, perhaps exercise, phone call or maybe just come here and blog away! Thank you everyone for sharing and making me own up to it.