Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this normal?

I was sleeved on tues 1/14/14. I've had mixed emotions about my progress. I hear everyone lossing so much in the beginning and that's not the case for me. Just need a lil encouragement. I've only lost a total ov five lbs that's combined from preop, and postop loss. Please help.

Everyone loses at their own pace. Don't be discouraged. Follow what the doc tells you and let your body do what it needs to do. Some people are just slow losers (I am one of those myself). Just keep in mind, you are losing, NOT gaining :)

Scheduled for surgery Tuesday Feb 10. Very nervous. Need to lose 100lbs to help with Type II diabetics. Worrying about not losing the weight future complications etc. could use some support around the FM/HV area.

okay, so I am 5 days away from my surgery date and very anxious. It's to the point where I have been contemplating backing out....is this normal to feel this way!?!?!

It's normal I was the same way I had mine done 1-18 the surgery itself was really nothing don't be scared,

Absolutely you are going to be nervous. But from my view, I kept thinking I will never eat....... That again . Well I have no desire to want that either. I had surgery 12/11 and lost 41 lbs and feel great . This is the best thing I did for me ever. I am going to be 60 end of February and I just say I am going to be a sexy 60 yo . It is a slow slow start and when the pounds start melting away you will be glad you did. I was also a big carb eater and since 1 week before surgery I have not touched not even a little drop of carb and not lost without it .

I used sugar free liquids . It filled me up and it did not affect me at all.

On a another note . I also use sugar free liquids now or they are low in sugar. I was on metformin. I was taken off metformin immediately and then was only on my insulin . My endocrinologist had me reduce my insulin from 80 ml 2x a day to 10& 15 ml per day . I feel great and the best thing I ever did for myself and in 6 weeks I lost 42 lbs and feel great . Just follow you food plan by your doctor . It is not much but you are not going to want to each much and also you eat small meals all day long

okay, so I am 5 days away from my surgery date and very anxious. It's to the point where I have been contemplating backing out....is this normal to feel this way!?!?!

This is totally normal, I was just sleeved mon 1/20/14, even up until they put me under I was considering chicken out but can't say enough good things about the hospital staff, the anesthesiologist sensed I was extremely nervous asked if I wanted to something to take the edge off and the next thing I know I was awake and my wife spoon feeding me Jello, I was never in a lot of pain just really sore, the hardest thing for me was urinating, for some reason I had a hard time going and my stomach (bladder) started hurting from all the fluids, after walking about 50 laps around the hospital floor I finally went, then was home by noon on Tuesday, stopped the pain meds Thursday.

The first couple days it was tough to get all the Protein and Water in but getting better everyday.

You sound just like me. I had a terrible time with my kidneys/bladder. I still have more difficulty than normal but it is much better than after surgery on Monday. My colon was slow to respond as well. Everything seems to be working now, but my body was definitely traumatized. I just hope it doesn't mean I will have a lot of Hair loss. I am taking Biotin and zinc to prevent it as well as eating Jello.< /p>

I too am afraid of the hair loss! I know Biotin can cause acne, but I'm going to have to invest in some anyway. Is anyone here doing any type of Protein chews?

@butterflyladi - I hope I spelled that correctly. I had my surgery on 1/22/14. I stayed two nights int the hospital due to an unpleasant reaction to the morphine that was given. By the time I came home on 1/24/14 I was down a total of 15 lbs from the pre op diet and surgery. Since I have been home I have gained 1.6 lbs. I do not understand why. I am on full liquids, getting all of my Water in, stopped pain meds completely two days ago. I have not yet had a BM, but I guess my body doesn't feel the need to eliminate anything yet even though it has been over a week. I have also hear dramatic weight loss stories from my friends 13 lbs the first week after surgery. I eke thinking what am I doing wrong.

I'm 6 days away and have dreamt I backed out in the OR, I think it's normal

@butterflyladi - I hope I spelled that correctly. I had my surgery on 1/22/14. I stayed two nights int the hospital due to an unpleasant reaction to the morphine that was given. By the time I came home on 1/24/14 I was down a total of 15 lbs from the pre op diet and surgery. Since I have been home I have gained 1.6 lbs. I do not understand why. I am on full liquids, getting all of my Water in, stopped pain meds completely two days ago. I have not yet had a BM, but I guess my body doesn't feel the need to eliminate anything yet even though it has been over a week. I have also hear dramatic weight loss stories from my friends 13 lbs the first week after surgery. I eke thinking what am I doing wrong.

I was up 1.5 lbs. because of not having a bm. Drinking Protein can cause it as well as taking Calcium. Try some Miralax and Glycerin suppositories. It is amazing how full your colon becomes in a week even on liquids. I am feeling MUCH better.

I was not a diabetic, David, so I can't help you with this. Have you discussed it with your surgeon/their support team? I would do so before beginning the liquids if you haven't.

As to losing the weight - you follow the guidelines and your WILL lose 100 pounds and probably more! Guys seem to lose more quickly too!

I think you will do great and here's hoping diabetes is a thing of the past this time next year!!!!!! Congrats on your decision!

Keep us posted.

Thank you Georgia. I did just that and am four days into my pre-op diet. No insulin but I am taking Metformin twice a day as directed. Blood sugar is staying normal. I'm excited to begin this new phase of my life I really appreciate all of the support I've received here.