Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Step by Step Account of My First Fill

My first fill was today at 0940 and it went great!

My totally good looking surgeon (looks just like Chris O'Donnell) (not my type, but who doesn't appreciate a pretty face?) came in, he was happy I had lost 8 pounds since my last visit 3 weeks ago. He asked me a few questions about how much I was eating and if I was hungry between meals and we decided to go ahead and do a fill.

Side note: I was told not to eat any solid foods for 3 hours before my fill.

I laid on the table with a pillow under my back. He felt around on my stomach and then had me put my hands behind my head and do a crunch. He said I was gonna feel a pinch and inserted the needle. It stung a bit, but not bad. Then he said, "OK, I'm in your port. Now here's the fun part."

Then he had me sit up, with the needle sticking out of my belly (no pain) and turn to sit on the edge of the table. He handed me a cup of Water. He said that he had filled my band completely and he wanted me to take normal size drinks of Water until I felt it in my throat. Then he said he would take out the saline and when I felt the feeling in my throat go away, to tell him.

I started drinking the water and after about 4-5 drinks, I felt like I had a huge bubble in my throat. He then drew out the Fluid and when the bubble left he stopped.

Then he had me take more sips of water until I felt that each drink went completely through with no discomfort or sluggishness. It was about 2-3 drinks until that happened.

And then we were done.

I asked him if he would tell me how much Fluid was in the band and I could tell he really didn't want to. He said he didn't think it was good to compare yourself to others on the internet/forums because people have different size and brands of bands. I told him I totally realized that,but that since I'm a nurse, I'm naturally curious. (I couldn't give a darn what's in there as long as it does it's job.) So he told me it was a little over 2cc's.

Then we discussed my diet to follow the fill. For the rest of today and all of tomorrow I am to do full liquids. Then back to solids while exercising caution.

And there ya go! Easy peasy Japaneesy.

I had to go to work after the appaointment and didn't drink anything till like 230p. I drank a Protein shake. I did fine. Sometimes I think I'm overly obsessed with every feeling and I kinda felt that if I didn't wait a bit between drinks, I would kinda feel the liquid in my espohagus. I don't think it's a sign of being too tight. I'm going to take it as a sign that I REALLY need to eat smaller bites and wait between bites. All of that stuff I've been trying to practice since surgery.....now is the time to really do it!

because you are asking and needing all the info you can get your hands on you are going to be a sucessful bandster. i have never heard of a fill being done this way before. interesting. let us know what size band do you have again? now i am curious lol. have a happy 2 days and i hope everything is good.

I know -- it's all so fascinating, isn't it? Congratulations Leepers! This was a milestone and another very positive step along the way. Yippee!

because you are asking and needing all the info you can get your hands on you are going to be a sucessful bandster. i have never heard of a fill being done this way before. interesting. let us know what size band do you have again? now i am curious lol. have a happy 2 days and i hope everything is good.

I have 10cc Allergan band. It was a curious experience. I think that's how he and all his partners do the fill. I believe they feel it cuts out a lot of the guessing. I'm wondering if, when I need another fill, they will do it the same way or start adding smaller amounts. He did tell me that they are "more agressive" with their fills, but 2cc doesn't sound crazy. I think he just meant they weren't gonna add tiny amounts.

Mine just asks me the question and gives me a fill of 0.5 unless I ask them to go smaller. Fortunately, I'm in the green and won't have to deal with it for a while.

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience!

I know that I like to read other people's experiences. You can learn a lot as long as we remember that everyone's surgeon does it differently and to always follow what yours wants you to do.

My first fill was today at 0940 and it went great!

My totally good looking surgeon (looks just like Chris O'Donnell) (not my type, but who doesn't appreciate a pretty face?) came in, he was happy I had lost 8 pounds since my last visit 3 weeks ago. He asked me a few questions about how much I was eating and if I was hungry between meals and we decided to go ahead and do a fill.

Side note: I was told not to eat any solid foods for 3 hours before my fill.

I laid on the table with a pillow under my back. He felt around on my stomach and then had me put my hands behind my head and do a crunch. He said I was gonna feel a pinch and inserted the needle. It stung a bit, but not bad. Then he said, "OK, I'm in your port. Now here's the fun part."

Then he had me sit up, with the needle sticking out of my belly (no pain) and turn to sit on the edge of the table. He handed me a cup of Water. He said that he had filled my band completely and he wanted me to take normal size drinks of Water until I felt it in my throat. Then he said he would take out the saline and when I felt the feeling in my throat go away, to tell him.

I started drinking the water and after about 4-5 drinks, I felt like I had a huge bubble in my throat. He then drew out the Fluid and when the bubble left he stopped.

Then he had me take more sips of water until I felt that each drink went completely through with no discomfort or sluggishness. It was about 2-3 drinks until that happened.

And then we were done.

I asked him if he would tell me how much Fluid was in the band and I could tell he really didn't want to. He said he didn't think it was good to compare yourself to others on the internet/forums because people have different size and brands of bands. I told him I totally realized that,but that since I'm a nurse, I'm naturally curious. (I couldn't give a darn what's in there as long as it does it's job.) So he told me it was a little over 2cc's.

Then we discussed my diet to follow the fill. For the rest of today and all of tomorrow I am to do full liquids. Then back to solids while exercising caution.

And there ya go! Easy peasy Japaneesy.

I had to go to work after the appaointment and didn't drink anything till like 230p. I drank a Protein shake. I did fine. Sometimes I think I'm overly obsessed with every feeling and I kinda felt that if I didn't wait a bit between drinks, I would kinda feel the liquid in my espohagus. I don't think it's a sign of being too tight. I'm going to take it as a sign that I REALLY need to eat smaller bites and wait between bites. All of that stuff I've been trying to practice since surgery.....now is the time to really do it!

Awesome post!! I decided to check the forum because my very first fill is tomorrow. I agree, doesn't matter how many cc's, as long as it's doing its job.

My surgery was 12/6/13 and I still on occasion have restriction with no fills yet. I too think that has to do with eating slower and less portions.

Thanks again. I'm thinking they will put 1-2 cc in as I don't want to go straight to full restriction and feel water sitting in there.

Coach, best wishes for your fill tomorrow. Being on full liquids today has been a lot harder than I thought it would be. Lots of tummy rumbling.

Leepers, that is some fill technique, fo shizz. :D . I guess different docs and NPs have slightly different ways of doing it.

My first was on the 16th. We started out on the table with a pillow under my back, the crunch and so on but my port was being a snot and my NP couldn't find it and I had to have my adjustment under fluoroscopy. I have a 10 cc AP Lap Band that already had 5 cc in it at the time of my surgery. So my NP just gave me 1/2 cc. I feel as if I am pretty close to my green zone sweet spot happy place. One or two small adjustments and I will be there. :)

So you're saying he filled your band completely and then slowly took some out until you could swallow?

If so, then he is going for maximum restriction with the first fill....and NOT tell you how much....

I know a lot of Dr.'s have their own methods, but this is the first time I have ever heard it done this way...

Most Dr.'s start on the bottom and slowly work their up with a few visits and fills....you Dr. started at the top and worked down....

All I can say ids be very careful the next few days, possibly weeks....especially if you have that much Fluid in your band.

Cutting out guessing is one thing...whaming you all at once is another...I now I had to ease into it and it took a lot of adjusting, lifestyle changes to get comfortable with it....and I am not a wimp....

My last fill took me 2-3 weeks for everything to settle down, including me mentally.

Edited by B-52

how exciting leepers

being as i have never experienced what you described, i enjoy

reading what happens.... have a great day :)

So you're saying he filled your band completely and then slowly took some out until you could swallow?

If so, then he is going for maximum restriction with the first fill....and NOT tell you how much....

I know a lot of Dr.'s have their own methods, but this is the first time I have ever heard it done this way...

Most Dr.'s start on the bottom and slowly work their up with a few visits and fills....you Dr. started at the top and worked down....

All I can say ids be very careful the next few days, possibly weeks....especially if you have that much Fluid in your band.

Cutting out guessing is one thing...whaming you all at once is another...I now I had to ease into it and it took a lot of adjusting, lifestyle changes to get comfortable with it....and I am not a wimp....

My last fill took me 2-3 weeks for everything to settle down, including me mentally.

B52, he did say that it only ended up being a little over 2cc. I never thought of it as being like working your way down instead of up. I did Ok with fluids yesterday. You're right though, that I should be careful. I like my doc and he's been doing this a long time, so I do trust him (and I work with doctors every day so I know how different they can be.) Thankfully, since I come here and read every day, I will recognize symptoms of too tight band.

Every doc does it differently. I've heard it done this way but not that often. I'm super cautious after every fill because each time, it's unchartered waters. I'm sure your next fills will be much smaller.

Every doc does it differently. I've heard it done this way but not that often. I'm super cautious after every fill because each time, it's unchartered waters. I'm sure your next fills will be much smaller.

That's what I'm thinking. Especially since I already felt some restriction even from the unfilled band. I don't go back for 5 weeks.