Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My journey is FINALLY beginning

So I am 36 years old and I have tussled around the idea of surgery for about 10 years. I really only get serious about it a couple of years ago. Finally last year I put it into motion and it has been a LONG LONG LONG journey with a lot of tears and frustrations. BUT, I have a surgery date now! I am having surgery February 25! I am so excited. I currently weigh around 270 and my goal is 165. I was 291 when the journey began. I start my preop diet February 7 and I am a little nervous. But I can't wait to share more and more of my journey as it comes!

Congrates! Excited for you. I am so happy I finally decided to do the surgery myself. I struggled with wanting to do it for about 4 years and I am so glad and like many others on this forum I wish I had done it sooner!!

Congrats on getting your date! It will be here before you know it.

A couple of suggestions on prepping...

Find a Protein shake you like - you may have to try many; don't overbuy, your tastes could change post-op

Practice taking smaller bites - I bought appetizer forks and spoons

Practice eating slower - I downloaded an app called Eat Slower; your phone will chime when it's time to take a bite

Practice mindful eating techniques - don't eat in front of the TV or computer; feel what full feels like

Incorporate shakes into your day - start with 1; experiment with different flavors and textures

If you drink caffeine, start cutting back; I had to be caffeine free for my pre-op diet

Best of luck to you!!!!

So I am in the final week before my surgery. I am getting very nervous, but very excited at the same time. This is the thinnest I have been in awhile and I have not even done surgery yet! I have lost 6 pounds in the past week and this is only my third day of the Protein shakes. I have tried man, but I find that I only like 2 of the shakes so far. I like the coffee flavored (go figure since I am an avid coffee drinker) and I like the chicken Soup. The rest are gross! But I guess coffee in the morning and chicken in the evening is not too bad for a couple weeks...Anyhow, I am glad to be on this journey and sharing it with all of you who are also beginning the journey or on it now.!!

Well I am almost at a year and doing fantastic. My original weight was 291 and today I weigh 158! I am a whole new me and so much more confident. Plus people that have never paid attention to me do now. Jobs are even easier to find. It's so sad that weight changed the word perception of me. How vein is our world?? Anyhow I am loving it. post-58895-14209053168435_thumb.jpg post-58895-14209053483131_thumb.jpg

Amazing!

I hope that in a year I'm where you are now. Thanks for keeping us updated, it's inspirational.