Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear Veterans, has your hunger returned?

Has your hunger returned?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. 18+ Months Post Op, How is Your Hunger?

• Yes, WORSE than pre-surgery.
    • Yes, THE SAME as it was pre-surgery.
    • Yes, but a LITTLE LESS than pre-surgery.
    • Yes, but MUCH LESS than pre-surgery.
    • NO, I have not felt any hunger since surgery.
    • I'm not sure.

Hunger has definitely returned! I noticed it around 2 years post-op (now I'm 3+) but I do have to say it really rears it's ugly head when I eat carbs. So *if* I'm on plan and eating mostly Protein and veggies it stays much more in check.

And interesting side effect for me of doing the 5:2 is that is GREATLY reduces my hunger. It also cuts out my snacking and, for me personally (maybe my other 5:2 sisters also) the effects of the lower hunger and less desire to snack carry over from a fast day to feast day.

What M2G said is the exact same for me. About 2 years out I noticed hunger return but it was and still isn't like before surgery.

5:2 also reduces hunger for me.

Pre-sleeve, I had the chew-your-arm-off kind of hunger every few hours. Now, it is a more subtle message, rather than the 1,000 pound gorilla that used to scream in my ears to eat. Before, I was compelled to eat, but now, it is more of a nudge and I have the choice whether to eat. Before, my demons didn't give me the choice. It was an overwhelming urge.

For me, I think trying to focus on nutritionally balanced meals helps keep that gorilla at bay.

I think that it is normal to feel hunger when you haven't eaten in hours. The difference for me is that it is more... appropriate. It isn't all consuming 24/7 like it used to be. I do find that I am super sensitive to carbs - maybe i always was and just didnt realize it... but carbs, even healthy carbs like fruit, trigger hunger for me.

CowgirlJane - I completely agree. Last night I recognized that I was hungry but it was a very different feeling. I was empty and it was physical and any food would do (I was at costco so I had a few lean meat samples and an ounce of beef Jerky in the car - whereas in the past I would have eaten samples and then bought a hot dog). I think my hunger now is more like what naturally thin people feel. It's clearly related to length of time since I last ate and it can be satisfied with a small amount of any healthy food and very quickly. Before I thought about food all the time and could have eaten every 1-2 hours.

After about a year in post-surgery I lost the unpleasant feeling I used to have after eating (I still get it a bit if I eat too much) but I used to be miserable if I overate even one bite. Combine it with the dumping and I had some aversion to eating that's gradually worn off. It made it easier to lose weight although I wouldn't want to keep feeling that way.

Oh my goodness! I just lost my entire post. I hate that. :( What I was saying is that my solid meals only last between 2-3 hours when I would prefer they lasted 4-5 hours in between. Brittu, you're so lucky! I wish my hunger had never come back. Right now I can comfortably eat 2-4 oz of Protein depending on the density, a small serving of veggies and small serving of carbs. I can never drink with my meals, it actually makes me feel sick and bloated. It's so tough for me because I cannot burn off extra calories via workouts like I once could. I'm in a constant state of flux because in order for me to lose I have to eat less and that is so difficult when I'm hungry all the time. HC, I'm very glad to be back in the fold. I need the support that is offered here! You all are the best on the Planet when it comes to that. Taking a break did not serve me well. I thought it would but much to the contrary. I know I'll be fine and in time I'll be back in those ZERO's!! Hallelujah! I actually forgot about that. That was the best feeling. I never EVER imagined I'd fit in that size. See? I need this place! :D Also, I seen a thread around here for those struggling with 5:2 and to try the 8 hour diet. It sound way more doable to me. 500 calories is just... way too little. At least for me. :blink:

LMD, you would be surprised how much can be eaten with 500-550 cals if you plan right. :). But like you said, it has to work for YOU. You know what i am finding so interesting here? We are discussing WL strategies AFTER WLS! :) But Now, we are Normally losing or trying to lose those "few more pounds"! We have to truly find what works for us post surgery, whether low carb, 5:2, 8hr, tracking. Exercise. Maintenance is HARD! It is! Anybody who tells you otherwise is either not far enough out or super lucky!!! Yep, I get hungry and my meals only seem to last a few hours now too but 5:2 seems to help with that also. I've told some of my "friends" who think I've just magically stayed slim and that my surgery means I'll never gain weight and can eat anything I want, I've worked HARDER in the last 6 months than in the prior three years! Re-losing is a LOT harder so find a good balance/maintenance for you and stick it! Right now, I've given in to the carb calling and know that I've got to pull myself up out of it NOW so I don't undo any of my hard work. Yeah, it ain't all fun and games! (Til I slip on the size 4 skirt!)

Edited by Georgia

Hey Miss Diva, so good to see you back on site. You are a rock star!

My hunger has returned at about 1.5 years. I crave different things than before VSG surgery. Yes, this is truly a head game but I do "feel" hunger. Now I want sweets. Prior to surgery I could pass up chocolate, pasteries & other surgary foods without an issue. Now, I live for ice cream and previous. Know what to do, how to do it, now just need to take the steps to get back into the sleeve diet.

Gallbladder sugery was done on this Thursday & I am about 5lbs above surgeons goal. GULP. I am more concerned about staying healthy than a number on a scale. But of course my skinny clothes are now tight too.

A shout out to all my fellow vertrans - even at three years out I know I can still be a loser! :)

Hey Miss Diva, so good to see you back on site. You are a rock star! My hunger has returned at about 1.5 years. I crave different things than before VSG surgery. Yes, this is truly a head game but I do "feel" hunger. Now I want sweets. Prior to surgery I could pass up chocolate, pasteries & other surgary foods without an issue. Now, I live for ice cream and previous. Know what to do, how to do it, now just need to take the steps to get back into the sleeve diet. Gallbladder sugery was done on this Thursday & I am about 5lbs above surgeons goal. GULP. I am more concerned about staying healthy than a number on a scale. But of course my skinny clothes are now tight too. A shout out to all my fellow vertrans - even at three years out I know I can still be a loser! :) .

great to see you here! I know you can be a loser too!

Lynda

Great idea for a poll and conversation. I didn't vote because I'm not that far out, but I see the majority said hunger returned, but much less than before surgery. That's really encouraging to me. At 13 months, my hunger is pretty minimal. Some days I don't have any, though I do get head hunger and stress induced "hunger" (aka head hunger). Still learning to manage that, but since real hunger is manageable and capacity is decreased, I usually don't let it get the best of me. So, even if I do have an increase in hunger, I'm hopeful that I might be in that majority who have a much decreased hunger.So far, not has said it's the same or worse, so that's good, too!

Also, as much as we all fear it, hunger is not a bad thing, if it's not out of control. It's our body's natural drive for survival. I think about being a really old person, and I WANT to feel some hunger and desire to eat, and even the ability to gain weight. As we age, we need the ability to maintain a good nutritional status.

My question is, do you think the struggle to maintain is the same for those of you who have chosen to go down to a really low weight/size, like 4 to 6, vs. those who have decided that a 10/12 is fine for them?

I am in the minority I'm sure, but I really don't have a burning desire to be a size 4, I would be very happy being a 10/12. I'm hoping , maybe deluding myself, that maintainence will be easier when I'm not constantly forcing my body to be smaller than it wants to be. Is it possible that striving for that 4/6 is what makes the maintainence so much of a struggle??

I mean, our bodies all have a "sweet spot" where our metabolism wants us to be, right? If we are destined to be a 12 and we force ourselves to maintain a 4, then are we just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of weight struggle?

For myself, I'd rather be a 12 and not have a lifetime of struggle. Does anyone who in in maintainence have experience with how this plays out?

My question is, do you think the struggle to maintain is the same for those of you who have chosen to go down to a really low weight/size, like 4 to 6, vs. those who have decided that a 10/12 is fine for them? I am in the minority I'm sure, but I really don't have a burning desire to be a size 4, I would be very happy being a 10/12. I'm hoping , maybe deluding myself, that maintainence will be easier when I'm not constantly forcing my body to be smaller than it wants to be. Is it possible that striving for that 4/6 is what makes the maintainence so much of a struggle?? I mean, our bodies all have a "sweet spot" where our metabolism wants us to be, right? If we are destined to be a 12 and we force ourselves to maintain a 4, then are we just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of weight struggle? For myself, I'd rather be a 12 and not have a lifetime of struggle. Does anyone who in in maintainence have experience with how this plays out?

I got down to a 0, and worked hard to gain muscle in my thighs and rear and got my size up to a 4/6 with 6 additional lbs. I feel I appear much healthier and my athletic performance has improved. It is not difficult to maintain - however my lifestyle is dramatically different than when I was a size 24. If I had stayed at a 10/12 and not strived for the additional loss, I imagine maintaining it would be almost the same as maintaining my weight now. But... time will tell. I have been at goal for a year, there is plenty of time to find out that it is more difficult than it has been thus far!

Edited by It's all new

My question is, do you think the struggle to maintain is the same for those of you who have chosen to go down to a really low weight/size, like 4 to 6, vs. those who have decided that a 10/12 is fine for them?

I am in the minority I'm sure, but I really don't have a burning desire to be a size 4, I would be very happy being a 10/12. I'm hoping , maybe deluding myself, that maintainence will be easier when I'm not constantly forcing my body to be smaller than it wants to be. Is it possible that striving for that 4/6 is what makes the maintainence so much of a struggle??

I mean, our bodies all have a "sweet spot" where our metabolism wants us to be, right? If we are destined to be a 12 and we force ourselves to maintain a 4, then are we just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of weight struggle?

For myself, I'd rather be a 12 and not have a lifetime of struggle. Does anyone who in in maintainence have experience with how this plays out?

The only problem with this is, based on the research I've done over the years, the 'sweet spot' of metabolism is somewhere around your highest-ever weight, minus about 10-15%. So maintaining at a size 12 might be just as difficult over time as maintaining at a lower size. The body, even after many years, will still be trying to regain to the higher point, all those emptied out fat cells just waiting to fill back up again. It's not a hurdle that can't be overcome, but it is a challenge. Maintenance is sort of a nice way of saying, "lifelong diet of some sort" as there is no such thing as a flat line over time...

My question is, do you think the struggle to maintain is the same for those of you who have chosen to go down to a really low weight/size, like 4 to 6, vs. those who have decided that a 10/12 is fine for them? I am in the minority I'm sure, but I really don't have a burning desire to be a size 4, I would be very happy being a 10/12. I'm hoping , maybe deluding myself, that maintainence will be easier when I'm not constantly forcing my body to be smaller than it wants to be. Is it possible that striving for that 4/6 is what makes the maintainence so much of a struggle?? I mean, our bodies all have a "sweet spot" where our metabolism wants us to be, right? If we are destined to be a 12 and we force ourselves to maintain a 4, then are we just setting ourselves up for a lifetime of weight struggle? For myself, I'd rather be a 12 and not have a lifetime of struggle. Does anyone who in in maintainence have experience with how this plays out?

I don't think that for most of us TRYING to get to a very small size is primary. In my case, I am 5'7 1/2 to 5'8" and reached goal of 150, regained simply from eating too much slider junk foods over a thee year period. When I finally got back to goal, I lost another 10+ pounds so that I could have a REAL bounce AND that is the ideal goal range for my body type, height. So, I was truly surprised to find that I was wearing size 4/6 skirts after only losing 10 more pounds. At 150, size 8 was standard. When I regained 27 pounds which put me up to 177, an unhealthy weight for me, I was in size 12.

My body's setpoint is being reset and consistent to between 139-145 and I am trying to get down to 135. Vanity? Probably a little. Healthy weight for the rest of my life. More importantly, yes.

Hunger is there more if I indulge in carbs. A trigger for me which had happened this week. Insatiable HEAD HUNGER! 5:2 helped me deal with this and lose the weight but maintaining HAD to be a lifestyle and it's very easy to fall back into "ill do better tomorrow" kind if behavior with former obese people.

The only problem with this is, based on the research I've done over the years, the 'sweet spot' of metabolism is somewhere around your highest-ever weight, minus about 10-15%. So maintaining at a size 12 might be just as difficult over time as maintaining at a lower size. The body, even after many years, will still be trying to regain to the higher point, all those emptied out fat cells just waiting to fill back up again. It's not a hurdle that can't be overcome, but it is a challenge. Maintenance is sort of a nice way of saying, "lifelong diet of some sort" as there is no such thing as a flat line over time...

^^^what she said. TRUE!!

thanks for your input ladies. I am not speaking from experience yet at 7 mos, just hoping:) I would like to hear more from others who have not gone down to 0-2-4. I don't even think my BONES are size 2-4, so I really don't think I would ever get there, but quite happy if I get to 10/12. I was just hoping maintaining would be easier there, but maybe not.

Edited by takingbackcontrol

thanks for your input ladies. I am not speaking from experience yet at 7 mos, just hoping:) I would like to hear more from others who have not gone down to 0-2-4. I don't even think my BONES are size 2-4, so I really don't think I would ever get there, but quite happy if I get to 10/12. I was just hoping maintaining would be easier there, but maybe not.

Serious, I think you might be surprised. I always described myself as "big bones!" And I do have a bigger frame but it's so weird how your body fools you! Good luck!